Black Panther or the Vision of Africa by Africans: AWOTELE magazine

Tools    

I did enjoy watching Black Panther. It was well-done but I've recently discovered a PanAfrican film critics magazine and I was like "Why we don't hear the African point of view?". The majority of the critics was from the US or Europe but what about Africa? At the end of the day, Black Panther is an American movie.

So, I bought a copy of this magazine that I didn't know and it was great. It's bilingual English/French. It talks about so many things related to African cinema and its culture. It's a pity that I haven't heard about this film magazine about African cinema.

What do you all think about seeing the vision of Africa by Africans?

A very good question raised
You are absolutely right about this many journalists can go to Africa and write about their life as they see but only true Africans can express their feelings on Africa, visiting Africa for few days can't give you the full image of Africa but living and born in Africa can give so yes surely it would be great to hear about Africa from Africans.

I understand the question being asked... but what has this got to do with the movie Black Panther?
The line you've drawn between the movie's depiction of Africa, and the actual Africa, is kinda moot... because the "Africa" shown in the movie, Wakanda, is fictional.

It's like comparing, for instance, Braveheart to actual history. What is seen in the Braveheart, is fictional.

As for the actual question in hand... there are loads of movies out there that are based in and around, and about, the real Africa and the people.

Thank you for your input "The Rodent". Maybe I didn't express myself correctly but I meant that Black Panther is a fictional film about an African country from an American point of view. And it had a huge success. And don't get me wrong I did enjoy the movie. But the point of view of this fictional Africa wasn't from an African perspective but an american one - which is okay - all point of views should be welcome. Indeed, it raised a question about African filmaking as well. And as you've mentioned, there are some African movies depicting a fictional Africa and there are most of the time unknown. And I was wondering why... And when I came across that PanAfrican Film Magazine about african movies and from the diaspora, I was like so there are real contents about African cinema. It's just that they need more promotion.
I should have clarified my thought.

A very good question raised
You are absolutely right about this many journalists can go to Africa and write about their life as they see but only true Africans can express their feelings on Africa, visiting Africa for few days can't give you the full image of Africa but living and born in Africa can give so yes surely it would be great to hear about Africa from Africans.
Thanks for your answer. When a movie deals with a specific subject, it is always from a point of view. Saying otherwise is a lie. And there are so many contents coming from Africa that should be known. And it's not a coincidence if people are interested in Africa. When I watched that movie, one of my friends told me that she would like to watch African movies which is a first. Even though Black Panther is an American movie, there's a real interest in African stories - fictional or real ones.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well since Black Panther takes place in a fictional country, I never thought of associating it with real Africa. When critics are saying we don't hear from the African point of view, do they mean that we do not hear what African moviegoers thought of the movie?

As for African movies, there was one I wanted to see that came out back in the late 2000s I think, from the Congo, an action thriller I think, but cannot remember the name. There is also that youth gangster drama from South Africa that came out in 2005, also cannot remember the name.

Thanks for your answer. When a movie deals with a specific subject, it is always from a point of view. Saying otherwise is a lie. And there are so many contents coming from Africa that should be known. And it's not a coincidence if people are interested in Africa. When I watched that movie, one of my friends told me that she would like to watch African movies which is a first. Even though Black Panther is an American movie, there's a real interest in African stories - fictional or real ones.
You are most welcome. And do share the content coming from Africa with us here I know that many people are interested in African stories.