54.00%
27 votes
Jaws
46.00%
23 votes
Alien
50 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The scene works brilliantly in my opinion because the director didnt let on to most of the actors exactly what would be happening. I remember Sigourney Weaver and Yaphet Koto talking years later about how they had to take a break after that scene just to get their nerves back. And wipe the blood off...
But wouldn't the actors have read in the script that an alien comes out of the guys stomach, and therefore, know something like that was going to happen?

But wouldn't the actors have read in the script that an alien comes out of the guys stomach, and therefore, know something like that was going to happen?
All the script said was "the thing emerges." They were in no way ready for what Scott had in mind for them. He almost set it up like a practical joke. The actors were expecting cheap prosthetics but he had loaded the chest cavity with actual cow organs and fish guts and stuff and lots and lots of blood. They were so surprised when it finally happened that they all jumped back and didnt say their lines and he left it in. In fact, Veronica Cartwright was was so shocked that she passed out on the spot when the first shot of blood hit her in the face.

The making of Alien's chestburster scene

By the way, whats all this nonsense about Jaws having B movie level acting? Do people not remember Robert Shaws absolutely stunning USS Indianapolis speech? That whole scene is easily one of the greatest scenes of its kind ever filmed in my opinion. And Dreyfuss and Schieder were pretty good as well.

Oh, cool.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
All the script said was "the thing emerges." They were in no way ready for what Scott had in mind for them. He almost set it up like a practical joke. The actors were expecting cheap prosthetics but he had loaded the chest cavity with actual cow organs and fish guts and stuff and lots and lots of blood. They were so surprised when it finally happened that they all jumped back and didnt say their lines and he left it in. In fact, Veronica Cartwright was was so shocked that she passed out on the spot when the first shot of blood hit her in the face.

The making of Alien's chestburster scene
OH dear. I would have cried.

I agree with the cut if Ian Holm to the fake head was horrible. All Ridley had to do was put the camera at a different angle on one of the shots, so the cut wouldn't look so obvious, but he chose to jump cut, with the camera in the same space.
I thought it should always have been Ian Holm's head – they made the 'hole in the table' device work well for John Hurt after all.

I've often thought with this thread that a better, and maybe fairer, comparison would have been The Thing v Alien, and there are some exemplary fake heads etc in that.

OH dear. I would have cried.
Yeah, you see blood hit her and she actually fell over I think, so a lot of it is the genuine reaction. John Hurt mentioned that she got the brunt of it.

By the way, whats all this nonsense about Jaws having B movie level acting? Do people not remember Robert Shaws absolutely stunning USS Indianapolis speech? That whole scene is easily one of the greatest scenes of its kind ever filmed in my opinion. And Dreyfuss and Schieder were pretty good as well.
It's a great speech isn't it? Not something you're likely to forget. Roy Scheider was really good as well.

I thought it should always have been Ian Holm's head – they made the 'hole in the table' device work well for John Hurt after all.

I've often thought with this thread that a better, and maybe fairer, comparison would have been The Thing v Alien, and there are some exemplary fake heads etc in that.
At what point was John Hurt's head going through a table in the movie?

At what point was John Hurt's head going through a table in the movie?
Well at a point they had to switch from his whole body to a fake torso through which the alien could be operated from underneath. That intercutting worked like a dream whereas it didn't for the Ash scene.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
If there’s any movie that’s ever had a almost tangible effect on me it’s Jaws. I will always have the threat of a shark in the back of my head or closer when I’m at the beach. Can’t say any film has done that to me on such a long term basis. Alien I watched recently again and really enjoyed, it’s a great film although I don’t get as scared when I’m in space as to when I’m in water. Normally I’m not thinking about an alien predator when I’m out performing my ordinary astronaut duties such as cleaning the space ship windows and taking out the space trash.

If there’s any movie that’s ever had a almost tangible effect on me it’s Jaws. I will always have the threat of a shark in the back of my head or closer when I’m at the beach.
That's a scary moment to me in Cast Away (2000) when the whale comes alongside him, with its eye looking. I would not want to be that close to such a huge animal . A similar moment might happen in The Odyssey miniseries but I can't remember.

Can’t say any film has done that to me on such a long term basis. Alien I watched recently again and really enjoyed, it’s a great film although I don’t get as scared when I’m in space as to when I’m in water. Normally I’m not thinking about an alien predator when I’m out performing my ordinary astronaut duties such as cleaning the space ship windows and taking out the space trash.
Or painting the ship à la Red Dwarf .

If there’s any movie that’s ever had a almost tangible effect on me it’s Jaws. I will always have the threat of a shark in the back of my head or closer when I’m at the beach. Can’t say any film has done that to me on such a long term basis. Alien I watched recently again and really enjoyed, it’s a great film although I don’t get as scared when I’m in space as to when I’m in water. Normally I’m not thinking about an alien predator when I’m out performing my ordinary astronaut duties such as cleaning the space ship windows and taking out the space trash.
Have you seen documentary footage of divers swimming with sharks? They are easy to avoid if they come at you. Just stick out your hand and push off their nose. Jaws was such an unrealistic portrayal of sharks. I'm more scared of deer jumping in front of the car while driving to the cottage. I'm more scared of muggers and serial killers.

How can you be scared of something that's going extinct for soup? (Shark fin soup)

Same for me. We had a beach house and my dad wouldn't let us see it incase we never swam again which probably made it even worse.

Have you seen documentary footage of divers swimming with sharks? They are easy to avoid if they come at you. Just stick out your hand and push off their nose. Jaws was such an unrealistic portrayal of sharks. I'm more scared of deer jumping in front of the car while driving to the cottage. I'm more scared of muggers and serial killers.

How can you be scared of something that's going extinct for soup? (Shark fin soup)
Not sure if you’re being serious. If a 1 tonne great white came at me like they do seals, propelling themselves out of water I should just throw my hand up. Using that same logic if a serial killer or mugger is coming at you ..... just throw your hands out and push them off by the face.

Same for me. We had a beach house and my dad wouldn't let us see it incase we never swam again which probably made it even worse.
I wouldn’t let my kids watch it too myself until they were much older. I don’t have kids though yet. Can you believe it’s PG in Australia. Plenty of blood gore and horror in it.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I went with Alien, but it has been a while since I've watched either film. I would also mention I prefer Aliens over Alien.

I wouldn’t let my kids watch it too myself until they were much older. I don’t have kids though yet. Can you believe it’s PG in Australia. Plenty of blood gore and horror in it.
They must have reduced the rating since I was a kid, Larry, unless I'm mistaken. . There was huge promo here when it came out along with docos by and about the Taylors. They created a monster with those alone.

Not sure if you’re being serious. If a 1 tonne great white came at me like they do seals, propelling themselves out of water I should just throw my hand up. Using that same logic if a serial killer or mugger is coming at you ..... just throw your hands out and push them off by the face.
Sorry, I'm just not that afraid of this:

Most terrifying thing ever. Big deal.

And lol at your logic.

"If a 1 tonne great white came at me like they do seals, propelling themselves out of water I should just throw my hand up."

Classic straw man. Rip.