SONG TOURNAMENT 27

Tools    

ROUND 1, PART 8

1. Foo Fighters - Weenie Beenie vs. Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11 - Much like MV, I loved Nirvana but not Foo Fighters. First album was ok and so is this. No match for Sique Sique though.

2. Robert Tepper - No Easy Way Out vs. The Winter Lights - Mister Number One - This is ok but wins by not being completely pointless. Something the former can't boast.

3. The Plasmatics - Put Your Love in Me vs. Eddie Murphy - Party All the Time - Party All The Time is ok for a listen, but The Plasmatics rock.

4. Morrissey - Everyday is Like Sunday vs. Eric Clapton - I've Got A Rock n Roll Heart - Neither are my kind of thing, but Eric is a lot closer to it than Morrissey. ********.

5. Patti Smith Group - Because the Night vs. Katy Perry - Last Friday Night - A real classic up against a decent pop song? One winner here for me.

6. Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts - The Photograph Kills vs. Deap Valley - Royal Jelly - Liked both. Preferred this one.

7. Sing Street - Drive It Like You Stole It vs. Suede - Animal Nitrate - That's not too bad, not sure if it'd grow or annoy but there's no way it beats grade A Britpop.

8. The Pointer Sisters - Automatic vs. Atlanta Rhythem Section-So Into You - I'm going to go with the one I'd not heard before. Usually I wouldn't, but much as I love Automatic, it felt like it went on too long. Was this a remix or something? Anyway, I'll do something different and go for the smooth sound of Southern Rock.

ROUND 1, PART 8

1. Foo Fighters - Weenie Beenie vs. Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11

2. Robert Tepper - No Easy Way Out vs. The Winter Lights - Mister Number One

3. The Plasmatics - Put Your Love in Me vs. Eddie Murphy - Party All the Time

4. Morrissey - Everyday is Like Sunday vs. Eric Clapton - I've Got A Rock n Roll Heart

5. Patti Smith Group - Because the Night vs. Katy Perry - Last Friday Night
The other made me laugh though, which is always a plus

6. Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts - The Photograph Kills vs. Deap Valley - Royal Jelly
Deap Valley had a bit more unique resonance to it

7. Sing Street - Drive It Like You Stole It vs. Suede - Animal Nitrate

8. The Pointer Sisters - Automatic vs. Atlanta Rhythem Section-So Into You

ROUND 1, PART 9

1. Shannon - Let the Music Play vs. Dr. Alban - It's My Life
Never heard the first before.

2. Kula Shaker - Hush vs. Billy Squier - In The Dark
I quite like Kula Shaker, but the Billy Squier song did a bit more for me.

3. Georgia Satellites - Keep Your Hands to Yourself vs. St. Vincent - Hang On Me

4. Chris Norman & Suzi Quatro-Stumblin' In vs. Genesis - Watcher of the Skies
I like both songs, but I have a soft spot for prog, so early Genesis gets my vote here.

5. Animotion - Obsession vs. Róisín Murphy - Let Me Know

6. Go West - Call Me vs. Goldfrapp - Everything is Never Enough
I wasn't married to my nomination. Just wanted to share some naked man butt.

7. Hey - Blysk vs. The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down
New to me, I like it.

8. Black Sabbath - Sabbra Cadabra vs. Nelly ft. Kelly Rowland - Dilemma
I ****ing adore Ozzy-era Sabbath.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Round 1, Part 7
1. Dusty Springfield - Son Of A Preacher Man vs. Sigrid - Strangers
Like both. I just didn't know the second one.
2. Simply Red - Something Got Me Started vs. Ace-How Long

3. Johnny Cash - Hurt vs. Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus

4. Miami Sound Machine - Bad Boy vs. Slowdive - Sleep

5. Prince - When Doves Cry vs. Sophie B. Hawkins - Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover
The only song performed by Price which I like is Purple rain.
6. The Feelies - Gone, Gone, Gone vs. Faith No More - Last Cup of Sorrow
Oh yeah!
7. The Romantics-Talking in Your Sleep vs. The Pretty Reckless - Miss Nothing

8. Radiohead - Karma Police vs. Florence and the Machine - Take Care
Radohead vs. Take Care! SC you have no mercy!

Round 1, Part 7

4. Morrissey - Everyday is Like Sunday vs. Eric Clapton - I've Got A Rock n Roll Heart

6. Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts - The Photograph Kills vs. Deap Valley - Royal Jelly

Round 1, Part 9

3. Georgia Satellites - Keep Your Hands to Yourself vs. St. Vincent - Hang On Me

ROUND 1, PART 9

1. Shannon - Let the Music Play vs. Dr. Alban - It's My Life-The second would be good in a club. Of course, even in a club the first is still superior.

2. Kula Shaker - Hush vs. Billy Squier - In The Dark-I've nominated it before and it didn't do well.

3. Georgia Satellites - Keep Your Hands to Yourself vs. St. Vincent - Hang On Me-Wasn't crazy about the second.

4. Chris Norman & Suzi Quatro-Stumblin' In vs. Genesis - Watcher of the Skies-Suzi Quatro is so badass.

5. Animotion - Obsession vs. Róisín Murphy - Let Me Know-Yea, it's odd how much I love the first song. It should have won before if the host waited for all the damn votes!

6. Go West - Call Me vs. Goldfrapp - Everything is Never Enough-I did get a laugh out of the first song.

7. Hey - Blysk vs. The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down-The Beatles feel out of place in this tournament and that's a poor version of that song. It doesn't take much in this match though.

8. Black Sabbath - Sabbra Cadabra vs. Nelly ft. Kelly Rowland - Dilemma-I don't see how a matchup of those two artists could go any other way.

ROUND 1, PART 9

Two dance hits from the 80's and 90's respectively. 80's triumphs.

In The Dark is just a badass tune

I never knew who sang that first one. I just added it to my Spotify playlist. The second was meh

I can see why Genesis fans are torn between Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins camps. Peter's weird-stage-show era sounded and looked nothing like the pop radio-friendly Phil era. I'm with the Phil camp, by the way. The first one wasn't that great, but those mullets, man! Those mullets won me over lol

I never really liked that first song, even though I'm an 80's fanatic

Not sure I want to see a guy rolling around naked in the sand for more than 2 seconds. The first is like watching the 80's on overdrive

I will not let the fab four down. One of John's rockiest tunes

Not sure why I never got into Black Sabbath. They sound like a band I would have been a fan of had I grown up in the 70's
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

ROUND 1, PART 8

(Dave Grohl seems like a really cool dude, but I find most tracks from the Foo Fighters to be just slightly above average. "Love Missile F1-11" doesn't light my world on fire, but it's interesting at least.)

("No Easy Way Out" sounds too much like the generic rock montage that it is. "Mister Number One" was decent.)

("Put Your Love in Me" perhaps verges on repetitiveness, but I love it. Raw. Aggressive. Sexual. Dangerous. Full of attitude. It's exactly the type of music I love the most. And it just put on a strap-on and reamed the sh*t out of Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time," a song I'm surprised anybody likes in a non-ironic fashion.)

(That's not one of my go-to songs for Clapton, but I still like it a good deal more than "Everyday is Like Sunday," although Morrissey's song isn't bad.)

(I like the tongue-in-cheek humor in "Last Friday Night." The music video was pretty funny as well. I was very attracted to Katy Perry before she went and lopped her hair off. She'd still probably make my list of Top Five Chicks I Most Want to Motorboat. Her song is no match for the powerful "Because the Night," however.)

(How did I not know that Russell Crowe used to be in a band? Or have I just simply fried whatever brain cell used to contain that information? I wish he had been matched up against Eddie Murphy. Then Crowe would've gotten my vote. Deap Valley is my own nom. They remind me a bit of a female Black Keys.)

(I've been meaning to watch Sing Street since a lot of people seem to love it, but I'm not sure that song did it any favors. "Animal Nitrate" is pretty good.)

("Automatic" is too long for its own good. First time hearing "So Into You," but I liked it a lot. Slick tune.)

Breaking ties here.

ROUND 1, PART 10

1. Eminem - Framed vs. Lee Michaels-Do You Know What I Mean?
Can't say I liked either. Coin toss.

2. The Flaming Lips - The Castle vs. The Pretenders - My City Was Gone

3. Aereogramme - Living Backwards vs. Prince - Black Sweat
Beautiful song, but a bit of a bummer for a song contest. Sorry about that, don't know what I was thinking. Pains me to vote against it as I don't even like that Prince song.

4. Christina Aguilera - Come On Over vs. Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes

5. Radiohead - All I Need vs. 16 Horsepower - American Wheeze (live)
TOUGH one. I love both bands. But I'm a bit drunk and 16 Horsepower has, well...the horse power.

6. Journey - Separate Ways vs. Lucinda Williams - Essence
Hilarious video omfg Great song, cheesy as ****. The man can hit some notes.

7. All Saints - Pure Shores vs. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - You Tell Me

8. AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long vs. Duran Duran - Girls on Film
I'm a bit weird with AC/DC. I sometimes like them, but I have to be drunk and playing pool. I'm not enough of the one yet, and nowhere near the other.

edited to bold the forgotten bolded choice.

ROUND 1, PART 10

1. Eminem - Framed vs. Lee Michaels-Do You Know What I Mean?

2. The Flaming Lips - The Castle vs. The Pretenders - My City Was Gone

3. Aereogramme - Living Backwards vs. Prince - Black Sweat

4. Christina Aguilera - Come On Over vs. Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes

5. Radiohead - All I Need vs. 16 Horsepower - American Wheeze (live)

6. Journey - Separate Ways vs. Lucinda Williams - Essence

7. All Saints - Pure Shores vs. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - You Tell Me
There's only one artist I'd consider voting for over Tom Petty. That's not it.

8. AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long vs. Duran Duran - Girls on Film

My lunch break is almost over. I'll have to vote on the other set this evening.

ROUND 1, PART 11

1. Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer vs. Placebo - Every Me And Every You

2. Transvision Vamp - Baby I Don't Care vs. Pablo Cruise-Love Will Find a Way
Never heard the second before and whoah, sliiiiiick. Kind of hate the chorus though. ****, this is confusing, I don't know how to vote. oooh, slick switch back again.

3. Greta Van Fleet-Highway Tune vs. The Jacksons - Blame It On The Boogie
The first one is another pleasant, new surprise. Going to have to vote for it over an old familiar.

4. Lao Che - Dym vs. Guns N Roses - Nightrain
Hahah, another new one for me. Pretty cool. I find GnR a bit boring.

5. In This Moment - Whore vs. Buckingham Nicks - Frozen Love
Another tough one. I like both for different reasons. I had to listen to both twice and still didn't know which I preferred. In this moment, I guess I feel the first a touch more.

6. Three Dog Night - Shambala vs. Policy of Three - Nine Years Old

7. Deerhoof - Chandelier Searchlight vs. M83 - Time Wind
Both new for me. Needed this alternate link for the second

8. Jethro Tull-Locomotive Breath vs. Jon Secada - Just Another Day
this matchup tho.

9. Kiss - Psycho Circus vs. Gabriella Cilmi - Sweet About Me
The second was sweet. The first definitely wasn't. GIMME THE NASTY.

10. Happy Mondays - Step On vs. 27 - No Water vs. Eddie Noack - Psycho
Oooh, sandwich vote with these two fine nominations. The one on the right is claiming to be hungry. HAHAHAH THE LYRICS ON THIS ON!!! Pity about the music, though. Although that kind of makes it. Not sure I can be charmed out of voting for 27 on this, the 27th tournament.

ROUND 1, PART 9

(Didn't care for "It's My Life.")

(Nice effort by Kula Shaker, but I'm too familiar with Deep Purple's version of "Hush" for this to sound like anything but a pale imitation. I've always liked "In the Dark.")

(I liked the other St. Vincent song that was nominated, but I thought this one was pretty lame. "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" is always a fun song to throw on when I want to embrace my inner redneck.)

(That duet is a bit dorky, but their voices are pleasant and the song makes for a nice little mood lifter. The costumes and stage antics of that Genesis performance were interesting, as I never knew Peter Gabriel was once so weird, but I've never paid much attention to Genesis and what few of their songs I know off the top of my head are mostly from the Phil Collins era.)

("Obsession" is 80's in all the best ways. "Let Me Know" is okay, but there's nothing about it that really stands out to me.)

("Call Me" is 80's in all the worst ways. Naked man butt for the win!)

(I'll have to come back to "Blysk" when my foreign translator is in town.)

(The disparity of talent is pretty damn wide in this match-up.)

ROUND 1, PART 9

Squier lift. Wow, tight matchup.

That isn't my song, and I don't think I can be boxed in, but I am a southern boy. Don't know if that's a shocker

Shining some light on someone other than The Beatles

Round 1, Part 9

1. Shannon - Let the Music Play vs. Dr. Alban - It's My Life - That was a tough one. I like both.

2. Kula Shaker - Hush vs. Billy Squier - In The Dark I have never been a fan of B Squier..he's a cheap Plant ripoff Kula Shakerdid an OK Deep Purple cover so they win..