Your Favorite movies made the year you where Born

Tools    

My Favorite for the year 1980 is The Shining

In no preticular order other greats for 1980

1.) The Shining, 2.) The Big Red One, 3.) Ordinary People, 4.) The Stunt Man, 5.) Raging Bull, 6.) The Empire Strikes Back, 7.) The Elephant Man, 8.) Used Cars, 9.) Bad Timing: A Sensual Obsession, 10.) American Gigolo, 11.) Borderline, 12.) Stir Crazy, 13.) Popeye, 14.) Superman II, 15.) Caddyshack, 16.) The Blues Brothers, 17.) Altered States, 18.) The Fog, 19.) Dressed to Kill, 20.) Kagemusha, 21.) Breaker' Morant, 22.) The Howling, 23.)Long Good Friday, 24.) The Changeling, 25.) Cruising, 26.) Oh, Heavenly Dog!, 27.) City of Women

Tell me the greats from the year you were born

Cheers

"Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it does not."

MY FAVORITES
1. Little Big Man
2. The Ballad of Cable Hogue
3. M*A*S*H
4. Catch-22
5. The Conformist
6. Five Easy Pieces
7. Ryan's Daughter
8. Husbands
9. Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion
10. The Molly Maguires
11. There Was a Crooked Man
12. Where's Poppa
13. Joe
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Women in Love
16. I Never Sang for My Father
17. Let It Be
18. Woodstock
19. "Brian's Song"
20. Brewster McCloud

ACADEMY AWARD for BEST PICTURE: Patton
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hey Holden what about these one's can you tell me why you didn't put them in, was it that you don't like them or just forgot or that they make up for some of the list 20 some and up'ers Kelly's Heroes (1970) Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) Bird with the Crystal Plumage, The (1970), Start the Revolution Without Me (1970), Hi, Mom! (1970)

I love There was a Crooked Man I rented it a couple of months ago and what a surprise one of Fonda's best performnces and the comedy is right up my alley.

Kelly's Heroes is fine, love the cast, but is just a dumb movie when all is said and done, and probably about a reel too long. The original script had a much sharper element of satire mixed in, but they went for routine yuks instead.
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is easily the best Dargio Argento for me, but it's also about the only one I can tolerate. It's OK, but doesn't do much for me.
Start the Revolution without Me should have been much better than it is with that premise and cast. Not a bad movie, just not a good one in my book. Compared to the other 1970 comedies I did list (M*A*S*H, Catch-22, Where's Poppa?, even Brewster McCloud) I don't think it holds up very well.
Of DePalma's low-budget anti-establishment street comedies, I think Greetings is a bit better than Hi, Mom!.
And Tora! Tora! Tora! is just a hollow Hollwood war epic in my eyes, a real throwback (and not in a good way). In a year that brought M*A*S*H* and Catch-22, how could I possibly sit still and take a flick like Tora! Tora! Tora! seriously?

As for your list, how in the world could you mention the lackluster (which is me being kind) likes of Oh, Heavenly Dog, Borderline, Popeye and Cruising (*GAG*) in favor of Airplane!, Melvin & Howard, Atlantic City, Tess, "The Guyana Tragedy", Resurrection, Bronco Billy or even Private Benjamin?!? I'm also kinda surprised that as our resident Cimino cheerleader you didn't give a mention to Heaven's Gate.

And what, no Xanadu?

But these are the limitations of such lists.

Radioactive Spider Blood
Return of the Jedi, ET. (I'm pretty sure ET was '83 also...)

"Chances are, if your parents didn't have any kids, then you won't either."

Monty Python's And Now For Something Completely Different (Not so much a movie, but still.....)

The Andromeda Strain (Though the movie seems dated these days because of the technology involved, I still like the flick)

Bananas (Woody Allen's a fave)

Diamonds Are Forever (Not the best Bond, but still a good one in that it had Sean Connery in it)

Dirty Harry

Escape from the Planet of the Apes (My favorite of the Apes sequels)

The French Connection

Play Misty For Me

Schlock

Support Your Local Gunfighter

Other notables - Get Carter, Bedknobs and Broomsticks,Harold and Maude, Klute, The Last Picture Show, The Omega Man, Silent Running, Straw Dogs, Sweet Sweetback's Baad Asssss Song , Valdez is Coming, Vanishing Point, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

A Clockwork Orange also came out the year I was born, but Stanley Kubrick is overrated.

That's 1971 Ryan is layin' out above, in case anybody didn't know.

'71 also held McCabe & Mrs. Miller, The Hospital, They Might Be Giants, The Beguiled, Carnal Knowledge, Walkabout, Shaft, Two-Lane Blacktop, THX-1138, and "Duel".

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Kelly's Heroes is fine, love the cast, but is just a dumb movie when all is said and done, and probably about a reel too long. The original script had a much sharper element of satire mixed in, but they went for routine yuks instead.
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is easily the best Dargio Argento for me, but it's also about the only one I can tolerate. It's OK, but doesn't do much for me.
Start the Revolution without Me should have been much better than it is with that premise and cast. Not a bad movie, just not a good one in my book. Compared to the other 1970 comedies I did list (M*A*S*H, Catch-22, Where's Poppa?, even Brewster McCloud) I don't think it holds up very well.
Of DePalma's low-budget anti-establishment street comedies, I think Greetings is a bit better than Hi, Mom!.
And Tora! Tora! Tora! is just a hollow Hollwood war epic in my eyes, a real throwback (and not in a good way). In a year that brought M*A*S*H* and Catch-22, how could I possibly sit still and take a flick like Tora! Tora! Tora! seriously?

I guess that's were are taste differ tremendously but that's cool and I wouldn't want to agree with someone all the time.

Originally posted by Holden Pike

As for your list, how in the world could you mention the lackluster (which is me being kind) likes of Oh, Heavenly Dog, Borderline, Popeye and Cruising (*GAG*) in favor of Airplane!, Melvin & Howard, Atlantic City, Tess, "The Guyana Tragedy", Resurrection, Bronco Billy or even Private Benjamin?!? I'm also kinda surprised that as our resident Cimino cheerleader you didn't give a mention to Heaven's Gate.

And what, no Xanadu?

But these are the limitations of such lists.
I know those are all great but and I say a big but I haven't seen those yet and I flat out refuse to watch the Non Widescreen of Vilmos Zsigmond's Cinematography in Heaven's Gate thanks but no thanks I'll wait till I get the courage to buy that bad boy on DVD or rent it on WD somewhere.

TWT there's lots of greats that you didn't mention

Beverly Hills Cop, Romancing the Stone, Blood Simple, Repo Man, Cotton Club, The, Against All Odds, Tightrope, Flamingo Kid, The, Cloak & Dagger, Lonely Guy, The, City Heat

I didn't see most of those. I'm 17, man. I have no time for these "classic" films. I'm not a big Beverly Hills Cop fan. The flicks are okay...but I'm not nuts about them. A few parts have me rolling on the floor, but the rest is so-so. Not one of my favorites. I've only seen half of the first one, anyway (I've seen half of lots of movies, actually...Romancing the Stone is another of them).

Anyway, as is very evident, I have plenty of "catching up" to do.

My favorite film from 1985 would have to be:

Brazil
Terry Gilliam

Other favorites include:

Back To The Future
Robert Zemeckis

&

Out Of Africa
Sydney Pollack

And some other's from '85 include:
"Cocoon"; "The Color Purple"; "Desperatly Seeking Susan";"The Emerald Forest";"Kiss of the Spider Woman";"Pee Wee's Big Adventure";"Prizzi's Honor";"The Purple Rose of Cairo";The Trip to Bountiful";"Witness". Among many, of course.

Ahh man Silver how could you how dare you not put Clue on your list please tell me you dig this movie it will make me sleep a little easier.

also some more that I like maybe you don't but I'll list them anyway.

Silver Bullet (1985) Nnow that is Weird buddy very Weird.......

Ran, The Breakfast Club, The Goonies, Weird Science, Spies Like Us, After Hours, Sliverado, Purple Rose of Cairo, The, Pale Rider, Fright Night, Young Sherlock Holmes, Re-Animator, Runaway Train, To Live and Die in L.A., Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins..., Flesh & Blood, Explorers, Year of the Dragon, Quiet Earth, The & Jackie Chan's Police Force

AND AND American Ninja and favorite as a youngster when all I thought about was beinging a Ninja and did a great job pretending to too.

Haven't seen Clue. Guess I should.

What I personally can't believe I didn't put on my list was The Breakfast Club. And The Purple Rose of Cairo IS on my list.

Haven't seen the majority of the others.
Especially Silver Bullet.

If it makes you feel any better, I like Clue (and it is among my 9 year-old son's favorite movies, just behind Mars Attacks! on his favorites list). I actually saw it in the theater in Hartford. We got the third ending.

There are a whole bunch of those movies from 1984-85 that I really like and still watch from time to time, but it would stand to reason that I would have fond memories of movies from my early teens.

Cloak and Dagger was a favorite (and filmed in the town where I was born). I even liked the video game for some reason. Gremlins, The Goonies, Weird Science, Back to the Future (which I saw at the 99 cent movies in Vernon, Connecticut. I also saw Rambo III there), The Breakfast Club, Spies Like Us, Young Sherlock Holmes, Fright Night, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Remo Williams, Repo Man and The Lonely Guy (which is actually funnier to me now than it was then. Of course, I think I am a little too much like Charles Grodin was in that movie in my real life) were all movies I saw in the theaters back when they came out and have loved ever since (Yes, even Spies Like Us, though I don't like that one as much as the others).

By the way, I loved "Oh Heavenly Dog" (from 1980) when it came out. I dragged my mother to see it with me at least five times. I saw Airplane! multiple times, as well (the difference being that I still like Airplane!). I can't believe how many of the movies from 1980 I saw in the theater. The Blues Brothers, The Shining, Private Benjamin, Used Cars (as well as Empire, Oh Heavenly Dog, Superman II, etc). I was only eight and nine years old in 1980. I can't believe my parents took me to such films.

I thought I'd add a couple more I like that you guys didn't list that I love from ryanpaige's year he was born 1971

To movie I love that both you & Holden didn't mention which maybe cause you don't like them or just don't think are as good as the one's that were mentioned are Roman Polanski's Macbeth (1971) & Sidney Lumet's Anderson Tapes, The (1971)

Althought not great still good is a Movie called Le Mans (1971) starring Steve McQueen that is all about the race and what surounds the event.

And another not so great but an intresting movie nother the less is Dario Argento's Cat o' Nine Tails, The (1971) which is extreme Horror and Gore and has some good insights and fresh ideas with the serial Killer Genre.

i cheated and went to imdb:
(1979)
apocolypse now
the jerk
mad max
star trek
i don't have a very good memory at all.

I'm no genius I go to IMDB all the time Now let me see what do I dig from 1979

So many great films I dig in this year

Alien, Manhattan, 1941, Breaking Away, Escape from Alcatraz, China Syndrome, The, Warriors, The, All That Jazz, In-Laws, The, Wanderers, The, Hanover Street, Murder by Decree, Going in Style

And Caligula (1979) the famous movie that was produced by Penthouse which has some the ****est ***** ever filmed in my book

my Top 10 for that year

1.)1941, 2.)Manhattan, 3.)Breaking Away, 4.)Alien, 5.)Escape From Alcatraz, 6.)The Warriors, 7.)Winter Kills, 8.)Tess, 9.)Hanover Street, 10.)The China Syndrome

Originally posted by Toose
How do I find out? I was born in 1967...
Check it out:
http://us.imdb.com/list

It requires a minute or two to get some of the details filled in, and then some searching. It helps to check the box to only display the top (in terms of user ratings) 100...it's likely to cover a lot of films that year that you've seen, unless you're a complete and total film nut.