Austin Powers in Goldmember

Tools    

Well, sounds like fun.
Foxy Cleopatra, eh? Also sounds like fun.

What I look forward to the most with these films is of course, Meyers himself. He will be playing Goldmember too, along with Fat Bastard, Austin and Dr. Evil, and I just want to see him outdo himself.

When the words "mysterious but peculiar" pop into mind, I'm forced to think of Dr. Strangelove, or Willy Wonka. I greatly anticipate this film, just because I'm a sucker for Austin Powers babay YEAH!

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Toose
Can I say I hate Austin Powers here? Good, I thought I could. I HATE AUSTIN POWERS. Ahhh... now I feel better. It's just not funny to me. It's stupid. It has no heart. I do like Mike Myers alot, this is just not representative of his best work.
He was much better in So I Married An Axe Murderer. I like the Austin Powers movies, though. They're silly and fun.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
How is it that in 1975 he had a girlfriend when he was frozen back in 1969???

That struck me as a big hole.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
Don't go lookin' for plot holes in Austin Powers, baby...it's not meant to be serious...IT'S WACKY BABY! YEAH!

No doubt they'll address that point with ome overtly wacky explanation baby, YEAH!

I'm sorry. That has got to stop.......BABY YEAH!

Now With Moveable Parts
Don't put too much energies into plot, is what I'm sayin'. Some movies are just meant for you to check your brain at the door and just veg. Maybe that's why Toose doesn't like it.

This series is one of the only series or films that really don't require any brain power to enjoy them that I do.

Enjoy them. I mean.

According to E! Online, the MGM/Danjaq folks sent a cease-and-desist order to New Line to get them to not use the "Goldmember" title as MGM/Danjaq says it infringes on their "Goldfinger" (one wonders why "The Spy Who Shagged Me" would not infringe on "The Spy Who Loved Me" or did they just not remember to try and sue then?)

Chances are, the thing wouldn't hold up in court (parody is protected), but it appears that New Line is changing the name anyway just to avoid having the thing tied up in court during a time when they need to be promoting the picture.

Think about how much one of the Goldmember posters already produced would go for if you were to get ahold of one. Just a thought.

It'll be interesting to see if they actually DO change the name or not. Because there's a character in the film called "Goldmember". So, it'll be intersting.

That stinks though. It really does.

That's true. If they were to change it, it would basically push the movie back. They would miss their date and it would really hurt their projected income from this movie.

So far, it appears that MGM/Danjaq was only concerned about the title rather than the character or references to him.

I liked Harry Knowles idea of just bleeping out the name throughout the movie and put the MGM logo over the character's mouth when they say the name.

But again, the E! story makes it sound like they only want the title changed.

Maybe they should call it "Austin Powers: MGM Sucks"

By the way, eBay is already full of Austin Powers: Goldmember posters for sale. The ones I saw were closing in on $100 each.

Here's the report from IGN on the topic -- a little late by my liking. They should try to lift their games -- I found out from Ryan in this thread -- that's not good by a site like that's standards.

http://filmforce.ign.com/ap3/articles/317952p1.html

I reckon they'll get away with it, too.

I renamed the thread title for obvious reasons. They showed the trailer for this last night during the Super Bowl...no name, just a date on when it's going to hit theaters..