Question about Gunfights?

Tools    

Hey Everyone,

I know that blanks are the only form of Bullet allowed on film sets...but in watching Heat today for the ??th time the gunfight towards the end has me puzzled. When they are walking out of the bank...and start shooting at the cops, DeNiro in particular starts shooting out of the front seat of the car...making holes in the windsheild. Now I know they use little explosives to put holes in cars, and other things to make it look like a bullet went into it...but how would they make a hole in a pain of glass like that?

Thanks,
Steve

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Probably, shooting through it with a BB Gun or something. You never know.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

gone
I know that blanks are the only form of Bullet allowed on film sets
Hold on, how did Brandon Lee get shot then if they're not allowed real guns on film sets?

Most of the guns used in productions are real functioning weapons, just the ammo is supposed to be blanks. Unfortunately in Brandon Lee's case, somehow a real round was loaded.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah there's been a story on what happened with Brandon Lee. Somehow that day on the set, someone had some real rounds out and they got loaded into the gun being used. Hey, sh*t happens.

Not like a blank can't kill somebody. Just ask Jon Erik Hexum.

That stupid bastard got what he deserved for fooling around with a gun like it was a toy. Here's a scoop, kids: blanks or not, don't put a gun to your temple and pull the trigger.

Hey guys, maybe off the topic slightly but its important to note some early films used live rounds instead of Blanks.

In Howard Hawks' 1932 Gangster classic "Scarface" Paul Muni as Tony Camonte unloads a fully armed Tommy Gun in a bar. The director and actor agreed that live rounds would add to the realism as the FX of the time were not up to scratch.

There are several movies from this era that feature live rounds being fired on film instead of blanks. (And not safely in some cases.)

Another interesting tid bit is that the blanks used in the original Dirty Harry film were specially manufactured to mimic the actual recoil of a .44 Magnum.

could have been a real gun, i dont see why not, just for one scene.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Does anyone know how they do the bullethole's in windsheilds so realisticly (in Heat) if blanks are the only thing allowed?

Thanks,
Steve

Maybe they were using live ammo.

It doesn't meant that that was actually robert dinero in the car, or that that car was on a city street.

On the topic of bullet holes in glass. You gotta love how Sam Neil shoots a shot gun 2 times in Jurassic park and it makes 3 very nice and precise bullet holes in the glass.

You never know with those things, I mean they could've done it on a closed set, with the same set and used live rounds. They can do it pretty much anyway they want and still make it appear as though everyone on the set could be in danger.

In the first Evil Dead in the audio commentary Sam Raimi mentions that the shotgun had live rounds in it when they shot it.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
That stupid bastard got what he deserved for fooling around with a gun like it was a toy. Here's a scoop, kids: blanks or not, don't put a gun to your temple and pull the trigger.
So true, a guy I was with in basic training put an M16 up to another guys face with a flash depresser on it, it still caused the guy to lose his eye. Blanks do not mean the is no danger. This happens during military training more than most think. Injuries by blanks and percussion gernades is quite rampant, or was when I was in basic.

Originally Posted by 7thson
So true, a guy I was with in basic training put an M16 up to another guys face with a flash depresser on it, it still caused the guy to lose his eye. Blanks do not mean the is no danger. This happens during military training more than most think. Injuries by blanks and percussion gernades is quite rampant, or was when I was in basic.
Jon-Erik Hexum died putting a .44 magnum loaded with blanks to his head back in the 80's.

From "members.aol.com/ Voyagers64/hexum.html"

Jon-Erik Hexum had a bright and shining career ahead of him until October 12, 1984. Filming on the set of Cover Up had been delayed over and over again. The script called for "Mac" to pretend to shoot "Dani's" assistant. Jack dozed off on the set only to awaken to yet more delays. Bored and very frustrated, Jack put the .44 Magnum to his head, said, "Can you believe this crap?" and pulled the trigger. The sight gag turned fatal. Although the gun was loaded with blanks, the concussion from the wadding fractured Jack's skull. After five hours of surgery, Dr. David Ditsworth explained, "...the blast effect caused disruption of the remainder of the brain. An injury of this magnitude is virtually always fatal." Family and friends kept vigil for a week as Gretha arranged for her son's organs to be donated. Jon-Erik Hexum was officially pronounced dead on October 18, 1984, the day he was taken off life support.

We'll never know what would have been if Jack had lived. All that remains are the memories.

I thought Brandon Lee died due to a "projectile" that was specifically NOT a real bullet? Regardless, conspiracy theories abound, seeing as how it is almost precisely (so I hear) how good old dad died.....

re: bullet holes. If you watch the commentary on the movie Basic....or was that the other movie, with Colin Farrell (SWAT?), they have an indepth full-length gun lovers expose on all the weapons they used, how they used them, and how the effects happened. It almost seemed orgasmic to them - I felt voyeuristic even watching them gush on about the guns.

Somewere, deep in the footage, beyond the scary mustaches, weird sunglasses, and odd accents, may be the answer you are looking for.....