Getting into the horror genre...

Tools    

The Legend of Hell House (1973) is not your typical horror movie. A lot of people (including me) think it is quite good, but not great; a lot of other people find it rather disappointing.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
My personal favorite horror is The Skin I Live In, if that counts.

I watched it for the first time yesterday and was pretty mixed but overall enjoyed it. It's very different in that when I say no jump scares I mean none. Most of the time it felt like some rom com well at least until you get to the final act
Wait, when does Rosemary's Baby feel like a rom-com?

MC for the Great Underground Circus
The Others is a good flick for you [well, it's a good film for everyone IMO]

I'm sad I can't help out. I'm far too desensitised to be of any use at all. I'm a HUGE horrorhound, but like a true addict, I go for the full dose of everything.

Wait, when does Rosemary's Baby feel like a rom-com?
maybe I should have said "could have been a Rom-Com"

It's why I mentioned Dont Knock Twice.
But you didn't - up until the quoted comment you only mentioned it once

A few I don't think I've seen mentioned:

Blood On Satan's Claw

Witchfinder General

Wake Wood

Magic (1978)

Dead Man's Shoes

Picnic At Hanging Rock

Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders

Harper's Island is a fantastic tv series. Especially if you like slashers and/or Ten Little Indians style murder mysteries.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
But you didn't - up until the quoted comment you only mentioned it once
Oh Chyp, that is woeful. Why am I laughing.

Oh Chyp, that is woeful. Why am I laughing.
I believe it's called a 'sympathy laugh' - it's perfectly ok, I'm used to them

I believe it's called a 'sympathy laugh' - it's perfectly ok, I'm used to them
I feel no sympathy for your laugh.

My advice is to just watch whatever. There will only a short period where you are really sensitive to scary stuff once you push yourself so ease yourself in with the most cliched and generic horror. You don't want to get the best ones out of the way right away.

Though, having said that there are many pictures I wish I had seen much younger because they were stylish and I think would have been quite something if I hadn't seen so many of their kind:

The other side of the door
Mama
The Cat People
Pet Cemetery
The Shining (I thought it was hilarious)
Alien (jumpscare's the famous scene so I think we can include it)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Hills have eyes (either one)

My advice is to just watch whatever. There will only a short period where you are really sensitive to scary stuff once you push yourself so ease yourself in with the most cliched and generic horror. You don't want to get the best ones out of the way right away.

Though, having said that there are many pictures I wish I had seen much younger because they were stylish and I think would have been quite something if I hadn't seen so many of their kind:

The other side of the door
Mama
The Cat People
Pet Cemetery
The Shining (I thought it was hilarious)
Alien (jumpscare's the famous scene so I think we can include it)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Hills have eyes (either one)
I liked Mama. The Shining was a huge disappointment to me because I was very hyped after reading the book and the movie was wrecked for me by two older teenage boys behind me pulling my hair, hugging me and jamming their hands and feet between the back and seat to jab my bum. Packed cinema and the freaking usherette wouldnt take my sexual assault complaint seriously. Didnt want to walk out of the movie because I had nicked out of boarding school to see it, so my friend and I had to sit on the stairs. Ass holes.

@magician

Let us know what you think of the movies you decide to watch.

@MonnoM

I haven't had much time lately but I saw:

Cube (1998) – This one was interesting... It was fun to see the characters develop the way they did. Amazing what they have done with such a small budget and a small cast. When I was done watching I felt pleasantly surprised but also a little sick to the stomach by the dystopian vibe and claustrophobic environment.

Triangle (2003) – I can see why many would like it but for me it was a little too "extreme"... I got lost in the plot and had to go online to get some things straight :P But I think the cast performed great

Furthermore I have started on Hannibal (the series) which so far, I like !

I don't actually wear pants.
I liked Mama. The Shining was a huge disappointment to me because I was very hyped after reading the book and the movie was wrecked for me by two older teenage boys behind me pulling my hair, hugging me and jamming their hands and feet between the back and seat to jab my bum. Packed cinema and the freaking usherette wouldnt take my sexual assault complaint seriously. Didnt want to walk out of the movie because I had nicked out of boarding school to see it, so my friend and I had to sit on the stairs. Ass holes.
So you took your anger out on a movie because of the situation, and not the movie sucking?

So you took your anger out on a movie because of the situation, and not the movie sucking?
Hey wut? I love the movie. I just didnt like my initial viewing for obvious reasons as explained. I took my 'anger' out on it because some dickheads were assaulting me? Holy crap.

Chief cook and bottlewasher
@MonnoM
Cube (1998) – This one was interesting... It was fun to see the characters develop the way they did. Amazing what they have done with such a small budget and a small cast. When I was done watching I felt pleasantly surprised but also a little sick to the stomach by the dystopian vibe and claustrophobic environment.
Cube is that which every single indie horror/sci-fi movie aspires.