Song Tournament #18

Tools    

Ok, I modified the match in question.
If you have already voted, please go back and re-vote on that match in your original voting posts for ROUND 1 DAY 1.
If you haven't voted yet, just vote on the matches that are already posted in ROUND 1 DAY 1

Everything is good now. Let's move on, and not talk about this anymore
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Ok, I modified the match in question.
If you have already voted, please go back and re-vote on that match in your original voting posts for ROUND 1 DAY 1.
If you haven't voted yet, just vote on the matches that are already posted in ROUND 1 DAY 1

Everything is good now. Let's move on, and not talk about this anymore
done.

Legend in my own mind
ROUND 1 DAY 1

14-Rolling in the deep - Adele VS. 13-Coldplay - The Scientist I like both of these but Adele is a force of nature

5-Maximum the Hormone - What's up, People?! VS. 3-Sepultura - Arise Oh my god I love this! I like Arise too but What's Up People is mad

9-Georges Bizet - Farandole L'arlesienne suite no. 2 VS. 16-The Monkees - Pleasant Valley Sunday

9-The Nerves - One Way Ticket VS. 8-The Jam - That's Entertainment

2-The Association-Windy VS. 13-James Bay - Let It Gonot heard that song for decades, good to hear it again

13-U2 - Ordinary Love VS. 10-The Eagles - Victim of Love not mad on either

14-Lapsley - Love is blind VS. 4-Ray Charles - Hit The Road Jacki should be voting for Ray, but Lapsley is fresh and the song appealed to me tonight

15-Grazing In the Grass - Friends of Distinction VS. 1-The Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something Just Like This
She is from Southport

ROUND 1 DAY 1

14-Rolling in the deep - Adele VS. 13-Coldplay - The Scientist-I don't know anything about Adele but I like that song and I don't like Coldplay.

5-Maximum the Hormone - What's up, People?! VS. 3-Sepultura - Arise-Both a little heavy for my taste.

9-Georges Bizet - Farandole L'arlesienne suite no. 2 VS. 16-Peter Gabriel-Shock the Monkey-I strongly prefer Spank the Monkey, but I'm not a classical fan.

9-The Nerves - One Way Ticket VS. 8-The Jam - That's Entertainment-I thought both were decent.

2-The Association-Windy VS. 13-James Bay - Let It Go-I forgot the first song even existed until it was featured on an episode of Breaking Bad.

13-U2 - Ordinary Love VS. 10-The Eagles - Victim of Love-Unlike "The Dude", I love the F'N Eagles.

14-Lapsley - Love is blind VS. 4-Ray Charles - Hit The Road Jack-Adele changed her name?

15-Grazing In the Grass - Friends of Distinction VS. 1-The Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something Just Like This-I never knew the name of the first but I've always liked it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
ROUND 1 DAY 1

14-Rolling in the deep - Adele VS. 13-Coldplay - The Scientist
I'm kinda so-so with Coldplay and I rather enjoy this song by Adele

5-Maximum the Hormone - What's up, People?! VS. 3-Sepultura - Arise
A bit hard to decide but gonna haveta go with Sepultura

9-Georges Bizet - Farandole L'arlesienne suite no. 2 VS. 16-Peter Gabriel ~ Shock the Monkey (MODIFIED MATCH)
Shock the Monkey always got stuck in my head - and not a good way and nice to see some classical in the mix

Another very close one, but rather liked The Nerves' 60's A-go-go vibe

2-The Association-Windy VS. 13-James Bay - Let It Go
Windy IS a childhood favorite, but I gotta go with Bay on this one

13-U2 - Ordinary Love VS. 10-The Eagles - Victim of Love
never cared for U2 and love The Eagles

14-Lapsley - Love is blind VS. 4-Ray Charles - Hit The Road Jack
Can't go wrong with Ray! This is in the top numbers of his for me

15-Grazing In the Grass - Friends of Distinction VS. 1-The Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something Just Like This
Another fav from my youth with such a soul filled, upbeat to it

R1D1:

14-Rolling in the deep - Adele VS. 13-Coldplay The Scientist

9-Georges Bizet - Farandole L'arlesienne suite no. 2 VS. 16-Peter Gabriel ~ Shock the Monkey
(MODIFIED MATCH)

14-Lapsley - Love is blind VS. 4-Ray Charles - Hit
The Road Jack

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
14-Rolling in the deep - Adele VS. 13-Coldplay - The Scientist
Very tough match. Adele is just a beast vocally; however, I think the Scientist carries more emotional weight for me. Had the Adele selection been Someone Like You, it would have been no contest.

Ha! Sepultura took me right back to highschool Awesome stuff, that! But my vote has to go to Maximum the Hormone. The only thing that could have made it better would have been if Mike Patton himself jumped out for a chorus---they already have his dance from Epic >=P

9-Georges Bizet - Farandole L'arlesienne suite no. 2 VS. 16-Peter Gabriel ~ Shock the Monkey (MODIFIED MATCH)
I'm curious how Suite No. 2 would have fared against Sepultura, above . While I love Peter Gabriel, I have to give this to Suite No. 2 if for no other reason than for the nostalgia of my old music theory courses.

Wow. I really loved both of these. Great picks. I'm going with The Jam on this one though. With lines like, "opening the windows and breathing in petrol," how CAN you lose?! Too, the melody and textures added later really pushed it further. I think if these two groups got together, made sweet backstage stanky-luv, and had offspring? They would have made Beasts of Bourbon.

I've not heard James Bay before, so thanks for the new reference. I really dig his voice, though it's borderline pop in my book. The guitar progressions and simplicity of the arrangement are what won me over. Great throwback with Windy though!

Jinkies at the ads!! This was like the fifth "depression" med advert during this review! lol. I guess YouTube is trying to say something here =\ ack. How does it know?!! ....how does ....it know?? =x Wait. Some of these songs are kinda depressing. Maybe it's the string of links! Yay! I'm NOT depressed after all! *cries*

*deletes more unnecessary ramblings*

Oh. I still need to make a choice here..... OK! This is really tripping me the hell out because I love U2 and despise the Eagles (probably something to do with some chick breaking my heart in 9th grade, or something. who knows?) Eh. The verse from the Eagles is great, but that chorus is just cheesy, relatively speaking. Sounds like another song. But that guitar solo kinda pushed me over the fence. And U2, as great as they are, they kinda make the same song over and over. ...and over.

Lovely voice on the first option. I'm curious too how she would have done against the earlier Adele track; but against Jamie Foxx? No contest. Er.... Ray Charles. I meant Ray Charles.

Oh. Hell. Yes. Grazing in the grass has to be the BEST way to end this night hahaha. The first three beats of this track totally made my day and I'm grooving. Sock-it-to-me-ROCK-it-to-me..... I will have this on loop all day at the office tomorrow. OMFG this track just keeps getting more and more awesome...er. OK. I'm now deleting every listing in my Spotify account except for this and Erik Burdon, Spill the Wine. Then just loop them perpetually until my death, at which point I will have in my will that both tracks must play on repeat by a guy dressed like Rerun from What's Happening!! until the earth is shoveled back into place, over my remains. Chainsmokers wins. No. I'm Kidding. Whatchew talkin' bout? This clearly goes to Grazing in the Grass just on a matter of principle.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
14-Lapsley - Love is blind VS. 4-Ray Charles - Hit The Road Jack-Adele changed her name?
I lol'd. pretty hard, actually.

14-Rolling in the deep - Adele VS. 13-Coldplay - The Scientist (Cannot believe I'm actually voting for Adele... Coldplay is just the worst band ever for me)

5-Maximum the Hormone - What's up, People?! VS. 3-Sepultura - Arise (love both songs)

Round 1 Day 1

Adele over Coldpay
Not a bad song by Adele

Maximum the Hormone over Sepultura
Neither my style

Peter Gabriel over Georges Bizet
Going Shock The Monkey. Not opposed to classical, I don't know Georges Bizet yet it's pretty nice music.

The Jam over The Nerves
Close call, both fine choices

The Association over James Bay

The Eagles over U2
Actually one of The Eagles better songs - Victim of Love

Ray Charles over Lapsley
Tough matchup for that Love is Blind song

The Friends of Distinction over The Chainsmokers & Coldplay

Destiny, your original list confused me. I didn't see links, just names of songs. I messaged you about posting links, but got no response.
Yeah, I would have reposted in your thread, about my being away all weekend long, but I double checked this thread for a starting date, and you hadn't changed that post any about waiting on Justin's thread to end. You sent your PM on my Sunday morning, and I didn't get back here until Sunday night. You had literally just posted the first round eight minutes before I got here.

I had links in the post, but I did not have them set up properly, so that's probably why you didn't notice them. I had too many songs, too. This is my first regular song tournament, and it's a lot tougher limiting the lists down to just eight songs. I figured I'd edit the links in properly, once I got the list down to the eight.

OK, here we go . . .

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
ROUND 1 DAY 2

QUITE a few challenges on this one

10-Billy Talent - Surprise, Surprise VS. 12-Pixies - Hey
Now, if this was Pixies' "Where's My Mind?" I definitely would have voted the other way

10-Uriah Heep - Stealin VS. 11-The Killers - Somebody Told Me
Gotta go with Uriah Heep on this one

6-The Raincoats - Only Loved at NightVS. 14-The Darkness - I believe in a thing called love
Maybe its that solid riff on the guitar. . .

10-The Black Crowes - Nebakanezer VS. 6-JJ Cale - My Baby and Me
This is one of those challenges -- My Baby and Me has a very wonderful, laid back sound to it, and I gotta tell ya, if it beats out Nebakanezer, I would totally get why

15-No Time - The Guess Who VS. 16-Pat Benatar ~ Promises in the Dark
I went back and forth, back and forth, back and forth trying to finally make a decision

6-Tricky - Overcome VS. 7-Ke$ha - Backstabber
really like the groove in Overcome

9-Lepers - Flipout VS. 12-Morphine - Thursday
Thursday has a Cigar & Whiskey Bar feel to it that I like

16-Night Ranger ~ Goodbye VS. 6-Michael Kiwanuka - Love and Hate
Another challenge that took a few listens to finally vote on