Live Action Musical Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

[b][size="3"][color="DarkOrange"]Meet Me in St Louis – It is the first to watch as per Citizen’s list.
You don't have to watch them in any special order. You can start with whichever one you want, i assume Citizen just posted that first because it was his own nom.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but The Pajama Game isn't part of the "beach blanket" movies. It's a fun movie, but it stars John Raitt and Doris Day, not Frankie and Annette.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050814/reference
WHOOPS! Thanks for letting me know before I started watching it

For those of you who get Turner Classic Movies:

CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTINGS FOR THE CORRECT TIME IN YOUR AREA, AND SET YOUR DVRs NOW!!!

West Side Story is scheduled to air on TCM on:
THURSDAY, MARCH 2 @ 08:00 PM (Eastern Time) - THAT'S TONIGHT!!!
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 12 @ 03:15 PM (Eastern Time)

The Young Girls of Rochefort is scheduled to air on TCM on:
FRIDAY, MARCH 3 @ 12:00 AM (Eastern Time) - THAT'S TOMORROW NIGHT!!!
sweet! I was going to post this; awesome job, gbg!!!
Got them both set on my DVR when I got home last night/this morning from work

Meet Me in St Louis

It is the first to watch as per Citizen’s list. I will watch it most probably tomorrow or Saturday. I already have a copy.
Nestorio, you can watch them in any order, it doesn't have to be as I listed them

Les Demoiselles de Rochefort .....did you try looking for it by it's English title? Sometimes that helps.

Post back and if you still can't find it, I'm sure we can help you out

I think I look at these HoFs differently than most people who join them. Instead of picking a movie that many people have already seen and probably love, I usually try to pick a lesser known movie that I hope people will like as much as I like it. I see these HoFs as an opportunity to get people to watch a movie that I think doesn't get talked about enough, so I never expect my nomination to win the HoF, but I'm glad when I keep reading that some people haven't even heard of my nomination.
Not necessarily. I like Rocky Horror as well as many other musicals of different types. I would have liked to see it nominated, actually, it just wasn't near the top of my list of nominatable musicals.

Well, it is called the Hall of fame, not the Hall of 'never Heard of It'!

In all seriousness, I think it's nice to have a mixture. I like it when there are some films nominated that I have heard of, but haven't got round to watching. Actually I've stopped giving up trying to predict whether people will have seen or heard of a movie. Sometimes I've nominated what I've thought were 'obvious' choices, only to find half the participants hadn't seen it. So you never really know.
I kinda go two-fold. With my very first HoF (40's) I actually went with a blind grab and then with the following ones I've actually steered away, when possible, from the top of the top because this has been, for me, a discovery of movies as well as seeing some old favs.

So it does work on both accounts rather nicely

Nestorio, you can watch them in any order, it doesn't have to be as I listed them

Les Demoiselles de Rochefort .....did you try looking for it by it's English title? Sometimes that helps.

Post back and if you still can't find it, I'm sure we can help you out

This is now resolved. I found decent streaming with English subtitles of Les Demoiselles de Rochefort under English title. And I also found The Pajama Game, also the streaming website service. All set then. Thanks guys

I think I look at these HoFs differently than most people who join them. Instead of picking a movie that many people have already seen and probably love, I usually try to pick a lesser known movie that I hope people will like as much as I like it. I see these HoFs as an opportunity to get people to watch a movie that I think doesn't get talked about enough, so I never expect my nomination to win the HoF, but I'm glad when I keep reading that some people haven't even heard of my nomination.
When it comes to musicals, most people haven't seen many, period. So there's no musical that everyone has seen, outside of the hard core fans. I realized that was true of the 1940s Hof. I had thought about Little Foxes and figured everyone had seen it, but they hadn't. I think we tend to think that others have had the same movie watching experiences we have. None of the movies in this HOF, are real familiar with me. I've seen some of them, but over 10 years ago and have forgotten most of it.

So I don't think there is one movie that everyone has seen.

...Well, it is called the Hall of fame, not the Hall of 'never Heard of It'!

In all seriousness, I think it's nice to have a mixture. I like it when there are some films nominated that I have heard of, but haven't got round to watching. Actually I've stopped giving up trying to predict whether people will have seen or heard of a movie. Sometimes I've nominated what I've thought were 'obvious' choices, only to find half the participants hadn't seen it. So you never really know.
Thursday already said it better, than I just did. I like a mix too. And I think we got one.

My family actually watches a lot of musicals. My oldest brother was always good for acting out different songs from musicals (I can still remember his huge collection of cast recordings - most of it being Sondheim shows). They all seem to have what they like best, but 1776 seems to be the one that binds us together.

I had only one friend that liked musicals and that wasn't until I was in the 7th grade. Basically, in school, I was left alone for liking them. It wasn't until I was an adult that I actually got "picked on" for liking them, which I find to be amazing. It doesn't bother me so much that people will kind of make fun of them (or me for liking them). It is the fact that they actually do it. I just don't get the purpose to it.
OK, you just totally won me over...a Sondheim fan...I am a HUGE Sondheim freak...my favorite show of his is Company and can sing the entire score by heart. I've got most of A Little Night Music and Sunday in the Park with George memorized as well.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
@Gideon58
I am Sondheim obsessed. I have a bunch of obsessions and he is definitely one of them. I could go on and on and on about him and his shows. But, even though I know there are a lot of people out there that like him, I have never found anyone to really discuss him with because it is like they don't like him enough to know enough about him/his music/his shows to have a legitimate conversation with those people.

I have to say that one thing that I absolutely love about Sondheim is how his music can be so intricate but at the same time his lyrics can be so simple. I know I've talked about that before - how I love simple lyrics. Anyway, I could go on about his lyrics in West Side Story, but I will save that for my review of it. But since it isn't nominated now, I will bring up Gypsy. An example of why I think Sondheim is a genius is because of, for example, "Let Me Entertain You". You have the Baby June version. It is sweet and innocent. Then you have the Gypsy Rose Lee version, and it is altogether something else (and I have always preferred the "naughtier" one). Same exact lyrics but different meanings. That is an example of why I love him.

But top 5 favorite shows of his:
Sweeney Todd (I know this entire thing by heart - I can still remember being terrified of that album cover when I was a kid - but I had to listen to the music )
A Little Night Music
Assassins
Into the Woods
Passion

Top 5 favorite songs of his:
"The Ballad of Sweeney Todd"
"When"
"The Miller's Son"
"The Ballad of Czolgosz"
"With So Little to Be Sure Of"

And I know I have heard a lot of people say that his songs aren't too easy to sing, but I always find that I sing my best with his.
Top 5 favorite songs to sing of his:
"What More Do I Need"
"I Remember"
"Being Alive"
"Good Thing Going"
"Green Finch and Linnet Bird"

And as you have mentioned Sunday In the Park with George, I loved discovering this the other day:

For some reason this made me very happy.

@Citizen Rules Sorry I just wrote a big thing out about involving Sondheim, but I had to take complete advantage of this opportunity.

OMG, I can't believe I have actually found another Sondheim lover on this site...I am equally obsessed with the man and his work...hands down, the best lyricist EVER. I love his lyrics because he writes the way people talk, not the way people sing, which is what makes his songs SO much fun to sing. Unfortunately, his arrangements are very complex and his songs are not suited for auditions because most pianists have major difficulties with his accompaniments. I learned a long time ago to never use Sondheim songs for auditions unless I'm auditioning for a Sondheim show. I have only done one officially...I was the Mysterious Man in a production of Into the Woods, I also was inside Dot's dress and operated it for a production of Sunday in the Park with George.

My favorite Sondheim songs to sing:

"Another Hundred People"
"Being Alive"
"The Ladies who Lunch"
"The Miller's Son"
"Now"
"You Must Meet My Wife"
"Someone is Waiting"
"Hello Little Girl"
"Agony" (yeah, I know, it's a duet)
"Sorry Grateful"
"In Praise of Women"
"Sunday in the Park with George"
"Finishing the Hat"
"Pretty Women" (Yeah, another duet)
"The Worst Pies in London"
"Not While I'm Around"
"Epiphany"
"It Would Have Been Wonderful" (I used to do this one with a guy in college all the time; I sang Fredrich, he sang the Count)
"Everybody Loves Louis"
"Everybody Says Don't"
"Love, I Hear"
"With So Little to be Sure Of"

I need to stop while I still can...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I was thinking about nominating that. It was between that, Sweeney Todd, The Muppet Movie, The Muppets, or Enchanted.

I considered The Muppet Movie too, (the 1979 version). Anyone who hasn't seen it should watch it. It's a fun family movie, but it's not just a kids' movie. And it's full of great cameo appearances by some very big stars, including our HoF host, Orson Welles.

Well, it is called the Hall of fame, not the Hall of 'never Heard of It'!

I just want to make it clear that I don't mind when people nominate movies that are considered classics. For me, it's not about which movie comes out on top.

I just figure that if I can introduce a bunch of people to some of my favorite underseen movies, and some people like them, it's worth it to lose every HoF I join. But that works for me. I don't expect it to work for everyone else.

I kinda go two-fold. With my very first HoF (40's) I actually went with a blind grab and then with the following ones I've actually steered away, when possible, from the top of the top because this has been, for me, a discovery of movies as well as seeing some old favs.

So it does work on both accounts rather nicely

That's exactly my point. By nominating underseen movies, it becomes "a discovery of movies". Most people don't need to be told to watch the movies that consistently rate at the top of every "Best of" ... movie list, but how many people will think to watch a movie like That Funny Feeling (1965) if nobody specifically recommends it to them? (I'll bet that most of you haven't even heard of that movie, let alone have seen it, but it's one of my all time favorite rom-coms. )

When it comes to musicals, most people haven't seen many, period. So there's no musical that everyone has seen, outside of the hard core fans. I realized that was true of the 1940s Hof. I had thought about Little Foxes and figured everyone had seen it, but they hadn't. I think we tend to think that others have had the same movie watching experiences we have. None of the movies in this HOF, are real familiar with me. I've seen some of them, but over 10 years ago and have forgotten most of it.

So I don't think there is one movie that everyone has seen.

I guess because I love musicals, and I watch so many of them over and over again, that in my mind it feels like everyone has seen the classics, like West Side Story, The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, etc. It still amazes me every time someone says they haven't seen some of the blockbuster movies that I grew up with, like Star Wars, Back to the Future, Jaws, etc.

And as you have mentioned Sunday In the Park with George, I loved discovering this the other day:

For some reason this made me very happy.

Thanks for the video. I didn't know that Jake Gyllenhaal can sing. That was amazing.

@Sexy Celebrity should see this video.

BTW, i've decided to alternate between a 40's film and something else everytime i'm watching something for now, been doing it the past few days. Tomorrow i'm watching Safe (1995) then i've got Meet Me In St Louis ready to watch after it. I'll post my thoughts in this thread if you guys are fine with it.

BTW, i've decided to alternate between a 40's film and something else everytime i'm watching something for now, been doing it the past few days. Tomorrow i'm watching Safe (1995) then i've got Meet Me In St Louis ready to watch after it. I'll post my thoughts in this thread if you guys are fine with it.
The upcoming 1940s countdown is one of the reasons why I nominated Meet Me In St Louis. Glad you'll be watching it. I won't get to see it for a couple months as my library has 9 other holds on it. If anyone knows of a blu-ray link for Meet Me In St Louis, PM me, I'd appreciate it. I can find a low quality link but I try to avoid those where I can.

That would be great - but, PLEASE,OH MY GOD, SOMEBODY post a review BEFORE this guy does so he isn't the first to post!!!

@Gideon58
I am Sondheim obsessed. I have a bunch of obsessions and he is definitely one of them. I could go on and on and on about him and his shows. But, even though I know there are a lot of people out there that like him, I have never found anyone to really discuss him with because it is like they don't like him enough to know enough about him/his music/his shows to have a legitimate conversation with those people.

I have to say that one thing that I absolutely love about Sondheim is how his music can be so intricate but at the same time his lyrics can be so simple. I know I've talked about that before - how I love simple lyrics. Anyway, I could go on about his lyrics in West Side Story, but I will save that for my review of it. But since it isn't nominated now, I will bring up Gypsy. An example of why I think Sondheim is a genius is because of, for example, "Let Me Entertain You". You have the Baby June version. It is sweet and innocent. Then you have the Gypsy Rose Lee version, and it is altogether something else (and I have always preferred the "naughtier" one). Same exact lyrics but different meanings. That is an example of why I love him.
Funny you should mention his lyrics for West Side Story...I saw an interview with him once where he talked about how much he hated his work on that show...he was specifically talking about his lyrics for the song "I Feel Pretty"...as well loved as the song might me, he thinks the lyrics are way too sophisticated for a young Puerto Rican girl fresh off the boat:

"I feel pretty, oh so pretty, that the city should give me its key, a committee should be organized to honor me."

That would be great - but, PLEASE,OH MY GOD, SOMEBODY post a review BEFORE this guy does so he isn't the first to post!!!
Ha...I'm going to try and watch some Hof movies this weekend. Between this Hof and Vamp's there's 24 movies to watch (for those who joined both Hofs) in a little over 3 month period, so I need to get started on that. Hopefully this weekend I'll knock of a few of these.

I know what ya mean, I'm kinda at that: omigod which one FIRST situation and I DO need to knock out my final movie for HoF 12 FIRST which I'll try to get tonight or tomorrow.
Ideally I'll try for one of each of these two HoFs this weekend as well, just to get the ball rolling.
I'm VERY tempted to go with Meet Me in St. Louis so I can join in with Camo's review/discussion. Always enjoy his insight.