Logan

Tools    

This looks like an actual film, with a dramatic story and actual characters...

I've been missing that in "superhero movies". Real movies that has the superhero stuff second or like an element. Like The Dark Knight, Watchmen etc.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
This looks like an actual film, with a dramatic story and actual characters...

I've been missing that in "superhero movies". Real movies that has the superhero stuff second or like an element.
Like The Dark Knight, Watchmen etc.
That is why I found GotG to be the greatest thing ever. It looked and felt like someone poured a comic book onto the screen.

This looks like a bunch of exposition sitting in the woods, in a car, in a cabin and then throw in a action scene. Not that it is a bad thing, it just seems like a waste of the characters.

We already have regular movies.

That is why I found GotG to be the greatest thing ever. It looked and felt like someone poured a comic book onto the screen.

This looks like a bunch of exposition sitting in the woods, in a car, in a cabin and then throw in a action scene. Not that it is a bad thing, it just seems like a waste of the characters.

Aaa!! AAa! No, no strongly disagree! I grew up reading comics, and the best superhero movies were X-Men 1 & 2 and Iron Man 1. All of these had a story, and character development. Since then they've leaned on special effects greatly, and are over saturating the movies with characters.

Hugh Jackman is a great actor, and it looks like hes gonna try and tap into that for Wolvie going out of the franchise (this will be his last time performing the character). I think, and hope this will be one of the better ones.

A waste of the characters? It's just a different angle... I mean, we do have stuff like Watchmen (the comic) and the original comic book, Old Man Logan, which also inspires this movie. They are really down to earth and deeper stories. Then we also have stuff like Ghost World and even American Splendor, whereas the latter is basically based on the ordinary "boring" citizen... so, comic books are just a medium and so are movies. If you think a comic book adaption should be just like GOTG or 300 or any heavily stylized and/or action/CG heavy production, then you misunderstood something.

The Dark Knight, like it or not, is hailed as one of the best superhero movies of all time. Why? Because we have a great story on our hands, with actual characters you care for or at least find interesting... it has a real setting and takes its time with every element. Also, for a "mainstream blockbuster", it barely got any action in it and the climax is based on the psychology of our main characters, hero and villain, and is not action heavy but plot heavy and with focus on the characters and story arc.

I enjoy fun comic book movies, but saying "we already have regular movies" is just a laughable statement and even more so saying that this movie looks to be "a waste of the characters" when it seems to be the EXACT opposite: it's ABOUT the characters, actually, and not explosions and CGI...

I agree to all the different points of view for each individual.

What I want is the comic book experience from a movie. I take nothing away from the Dark Knight movies, but the grounded in reality phrase seems like code for lacking imagination.

What I want is the comic book experience from a movie. I take nothing away from the Dark Knight movies, but the grounded in reality phrase seems like code for lacking imagination.

I'm sorry, denim, but you just double-shot yourself in the foot with the two posts you made. You pretty much just talk down to movies and posts without coming with something of weight or reason yourself. I guess we won't get much further than this, clearly...

Well if its in the vein of X-Men 1 & 2, and Iron Man 1, would you be happy? Those were comic books on screen, not so over the top, and actors had the opportunity to act. There was a real story.

Ysee, it broke my heart when they made that last Wolverine film in Japan. That was based off a classic Wolverine limited series by Chris Claremont & Frank Miller which inspired Marvel to give him his own title. The film kinda started out in the same vein, and then halfway thru just became a giant robot bunch of babbling bullcrap.

I havent read "Old Man Logan" but know its regarded as one of the classics. I hope Jackman finally nails it on his way out, he really is a damn good actor. Yeah hes 6'2" but Id rather have a tall actor play Wolvie than a short jock.

My desired comic book experience and DK are two different things. I don't see a double-shot on that.

My perception/ perspective is that DK is an action movie with comic characters. I don't want to do the back and forth thing.

When I say comic, I think day-glo things I would never see in reality. Me. Not everyone else. I don't articulate well, form cohesive thoughts, but I don't disrepect or denigrate grounded comic movies.

Welcome to the human race...
My desired comic book experience and DK are two different things. I don't see a double-shot on that.

My perception/ perspective is that DK is an action movie with comic characters. I don't want to do the back and forth thing.

When I say comic, I think day-glo things I would never see in reality. Me. Not everyone else. I don't articulate well, form cohesive thoughts, but I don't disrepect or denigrate grounded comic movies.
So what do you make of Schumacher's Batman movies?

In any case, I'm actually looking forward to this despite my generally unfavourable opinions of the X-Men movies. At least it looks like it'll do something genuinely different with the genre.

Aaa!! AAa! No, no strongly disagree! I grew up reading comics, and the best superhero movies were X-Men 1 & 2 and Iron Man 1. All of these had a story, and character development. Since then they've leaned on special effects greatly, and are over saturating the movies with characters.
I think the reason Iron Man 1 was good was because, for once, they stuck close to the comic. The only thing they really updated for the origin was changing the bad guys who kidnap Stark in the beginning from Viet Cong to Islamonazis to make it fit in modern times.

So what do you make of Schumacher's Batman movies?
I never said one thing is good or bad. Just what I prefer.

Schumacher's movies where not executed well, but I like them stylistically.

Everyone knows the DK movies are great. But to me, there is nothing memorable in them short of a virtuoso perfomance by Ledger.

Everyone knows the DK movies are great. But to me, there is nothing memorable in them short of a virtuoso perfomance by Ledger.
I didn't say anything either, I just figured I'd ask how you thought they compared to the dry realism of the Nolan films. Visuals are just one component, after all - Man of Steel and Guardians of the Galaxy have good aesthetics but I'm hard-pressed to say I like them that much.

Yeah well if theres nothing the audience can relate to causing an emotional resonance, I feel thats why these fall short. If LOGAN is a hit, and the biggest hit of all because they went to acting/storytelling over CGI bonanza, Jackmans gonna be kicking himself for trying too hard before.

X-Men 1 & 2 were rock solid, and then everything mutant was awful until First Class and eventually the Days Of Future Past movie.

X-Men 1 & 2 were lacking one integral aspect that was always present in the comics... costumes.
Yes, I wanted yellow spandex! (And if not, at least Ororo having an African accent.)

X-Men 1 & 2 were lacking one integral aspect that was always present in the comics... costumes.
Yes, I wanted yellow spandex! (And if not, at least Ororo having an African accent.)
Here I am talking storytelling and craft and I sadly must agree because I love spandex, and seeing Halle Berry and Anna Paquin sportin some.....oh mama cita!

Yeah well if theres nothing the audience can relate to causing an emotional resonance, I feel thats why these fall short. If LOGAN is a hit, and the biggest hit of all because they went to acting/storytelling over CGI bonanza, Jackmans gonna be kicking himself for trying too hard before.

X-Men 1 & 2 were rock solid, and then everything mutant was awful until First Class and eventually the Days Of Future Past movie.
Yeah, emotional resonance is a big factor even in the colourful fun-fests. GotG at least had the leads exhibit tragic back-stories that gave substance to their collective journey from misfits who hated each other to actual companions. I'd even defend Batman and Robin having a sub-plot where Alfred developed an incurable illness and Bruce had to contend with the prospect of losing him. The Bruce-Alfred relationship is an important factor in each of Nolan's films, though it does tend to be overshadowed by obvious plot-critical factors like the Joker or Harvey Dent - the scene in TDKR where Alfred confesses to Bruce is one of its best.

I've got my preferences and all, but I do like it when a film manages to work for me despite not playing to said preferences. Call it the difference between getting what you want and getting what you need.

The mother scene and Pratt saving Gamora had an emotional weight that none.... Well, Michael Caine did get me with that Alfred "failed you" scene.