AdamUpBxtch's Top 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

28. Zodiac (2007) Crime, Drama, Mystery
Rotten Tomatoes: 89%

IMDB: 7.7/10

Directed by: David Fincher

Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, Anthony Edwards, Chloe Sevigny, John Carroll Lynch, Donal Logue, Dermot Mulroney, Elias Koteas, & Brian Cox

Plot: In the late 1960s and 1970s, fear grips the city of San Francisco as a serial killer called Zodiac stalks its residents. Investigators (Mark Ruffalo, Anthony Edwards) and reporters (Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr.) become obsessed with learning the killer's identity and bringing him to justice. Meanwhile, Zodiac claims victim after victim and taunts the authorities with cryptic messages, cyphers and menacing phone calls.

Jake Gyllenhaal is impressing me with each new movie I see of his. Granted I haven't seen that many of his new ones but the ones I was interested in and saw I was very impressed, he is crawling out of his Day After Tomorrow shell and it is showing. Downey is good in this and I'm not the biggest fan of Ruffalo but he was solid as well. I love movies above Serial Killers or Cops chasing a serial killer so this is in my area. Loved it. David Fincher is a great director.

27. Shutter Island (2010) Mystery, Thriller
Rotten Tomatoes: 69%

IMDB: 8.1/10

Directed by: Martin Scorsese

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams, Emily Mortimer, Max von Sydow, Jackie Earle Haley, & Patricia Clarkson

Plot: The implausible escape of a brilliant murderess brings U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his new partner (Mark Ruffalo) to Ashecliffe Hospital, a fortress-like insane asylum located on a remote, windswept island. The woman appears to have vanished from a locked room, and there are hints of terrible deeds committed within the hospital walls. As the investigation deepens, Teddy realizes he will have to confront his own dark fears if he hopes to make it off the island alive.

I know I said I didn't like Ruffalo that much. He pretty much is just smart with the roles he takes. Scorsese does it again. Leonardo DiCaprio is good like he usually is and the movie was intense with an element of horror to it. I like the twist that really is what sealed the deal with this being on my list, even if the ending twist was kind of predictable it was still done well nonetheless.

Master of My Domain
His smart choice of roles is why I love Mark Ruffalo. Plus he has a subtle charisma that shines in every scene.

Still +rep because Shutter Island is a good choice.

26. The Cabin in the Woods (2012) Horror, Mystery, Thriller
Rotten Tomatoes: 91%

IMDB: 7.0/10

Directed by: Joss Whedon

Starring: Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchison, Fran Kranz, Jesse Williams, Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford, Amy Acker & Sigourney Weaver

Plot: When five college friends (Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth, Anna Hutchison, Fran Kranz, Jesse Williams) arrive at a remote forest cabin for a little vacation, little do they expect the horrors that await them. One by one, the youths fall victim to backwoods zombies, but there is another factor at play. Two scientists (Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford) are manipulating the ghoulish goings-on, but even as the body count rises, there is yet more at work than meets the eye.

Um......just wow. The acting is kind of cheesy, but those elevators doe. This movie completely did a 180 and shocked me. Even if you think you know what's gonna happen.....you still aren't even close. This movie is so unconventional and I absolutely love it for this. Oh and it's ****ing amazing.

25. The Usual Suspects (1995) Crime, Drama, Thriller
Rotten Tomatoes: 88%

IMDB: 8.7/10

Directed by: Bryan Singer

Starring: Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Benicio del Toro, Stephen Baldwin, Chazz Palminteri, Kevin Pollack, Pete Postlethwaite, & Giancarlo Esposito

Plot: A sole survivor tells of the twisty events leading up to a horrific gun battle on a boat, which begins when five criminals meet at a seemingly random police lineup.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Oh Kevin Spacey. Seriously if Kevin Spacey ever dies I'm gonna cry hard bitter tears he is fantastic. Love the story but the Twist is essentially the money shot in this movie. I won't give it away (even though probably everybody has seen this movie). Great film all around and the entire cast is great and I do really like the action scenes.

I have to return some videotapes.
Just went through your list and there are some great choices! Made sure I repped the ones I liked

Finally! Some films I can get on with. The Usual Suspects is something I love and have on my own 100. I don't know if I've seen Zodiac once or twice, but it's in need of a rewatch because I liked it a great deal. Fincher got the look and feel of that film spot on. Shutter Island I've only seen once, but it was an enjoyable thriller, even if It was all given away in the trailer.

24. Gladiator (2000) Action, Drama
Rotten Tomatoes: 76%

IMDB: 8.5/10

Directed by: Ridley Scott

Starring: Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, Connie Nielsen, Oliver Reed, Richard Harris, Djimon Hounsou, Derek Jacobi, & Tommy Flanagan

Plot: Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) takes power and strips rank from Maximus (Russell Crowe), one of the favored generals of his predecessor and father, Emperor Marcus Aurelius, the great stoical philosopher. Maximus is then relegated to fighting to the death in the gladiator arenas.

Are you not entertained? Because I sure was when I watched this movie. Russell Crowe usually never fails to entertain me when he's on screen. Same goes for Joaquin Pheonix. Great story, characters, and it was good bloody fun as well. The ending actually had me crying like a baby which was weird because the movie hadn't really completely hooked me in emotionally until the end.

This movie is way, way too low.

I think it's pretty apparent that I love this film, given my avatar and its place on my top ten, but for awhile it was actually my #1 favorite movie. I saw it five times during its theatrical run and have purchased it four times - standard DVD, VHS, Extended Edition DVD, and Blu Ray. At one point I also had a novel based on the movie.

Each time I watch it I get that same rush of adrenaline at the battle scenes and that same knot in my throat at the emotional scenes that I had the first time I saw it. It still amazes me that the film is 15 years old.