AdamUpBxtch's Top 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

36. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Drama, Romance, Sci-Fi
Rotten Tomatoes: 93%

IMDB: 8.4/10

Directed by: Michel Gondry

Starring: Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Tom Wilkinson, Elijah Wood, David Cross, Mark Ruffalo, Jane Adams, Thomas Jay Ryan & Tom Wilkinson

Plot: After a painful breakup, Clementine (Kate Winslet) undergoes a procedure to erase memories of her former boyfriend Joel (Jim Carrey) from her mind. When Joel discovers that Clementine is going to extremes to forget their relationship, he undergoes the same procedure and slowly begins to forget the woman that he loved. Directed by former music video director Michel Gondry, the visually arresting film explores the intricacy of relationships and the pain of loss.

Despite the stinker that was Dumb and Dumber To I still love Jim Carrey and I love one of his few Dramatics performances. I love the moral and theme behind it all. I love Carrey's performance and of course Kate Winslet she is fantastic the fact that her talents are being wasted on the Divergent series is just plain sad. Love this movie.

35. Pacific Rim (2013) Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Rotten Tomatoes: 72%

IMDB: 7.0/10

Directed by: Guillermo del Toro

Starring: Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, Burn Gorman, Max Martini, Ron Perlman, Clifton Collins Jr., & Robert Kazinsky

Plot: Long ago, legions of monstrous creatures called Kaiju arose from the sea, bringing with them all-consuming war. To fight the Kaiju, mankind developed giant robots called Jaegers, designed to be piloted by two humans locked together in a neural bridge. However, even the Jaegers are not enough to defeat the Kaiju, and humanity is on the verge of defeat. Mankind's last hope now lies with a washed-up ex-pilot (Charlie Hunnam), an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi) and an old, obsolete Jaeger.

I absolutely love monster movies and we rarely get high budget ones these days but when Pacific Rim came along I didn't even know what it was about I saw a robot on the cover of the poster and I was like "I'll see this I guess." I was blown away by the visuals and my love for Godzilla, King Kong, etc re-awoke within me. I liked this even more than the new Godzilla to put that into some perspective and I did like the story not just the visuals lol. I like the cast even though Hunnam is pretty much playing Jax Teller in this. Idris Elba is great and the dynamic between Charlie Day and Gorman and Perlman is fun to watch as well. It has some of the best visuals I've seen in a while, money well spent imo.

34. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)
Adventure, Comedy, Sci-Fi
Rotten Tomatoes: 60%

IMDB: 6.8/10

Directed by: Garth Jennings

Starring: Martin Freeman, Zooey Deschanel, Sam Rockwell, Mos Def, Alan Rickman, Bill Nighy, Richard Griffiths, & Anna Chancellor

Plot: Arthur Dent (Martin Freeman) is trying to prevent his house from being bulldozed when his friend Ford Prefect (Mos Def) whisks him into outer space. It turns out Ford is an alien who has just saved Arthur from Earth's total annihilation. Ford introduces Arthur to his myriad friends, including many-headed President Zaphod Beeblebrox (Sam Rockwell) and sexy refugee Trillian (Zooey Deschanel). Arthur makes his way across the stars while seeking the meaning of life, or something close to it.

Despite it's reputation I absolutely love this film. Freeman and Rockwell are up there on my actor list and I'll watch anything with either of them so this one was an easy one for me. Loved the humor and the characters. And Zooey Deschanel is great looking as always. I neat little sci-fi adventure that I enjoyed throughout.

33. Star Trek (2009) Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Rotten Tomatoes: 95%

IMDB: 8.0/10

Directed by: J.J. Abrams

Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, Kal Urban, Eric Bana, John Cho, Anton Yelchin, Bruce Greenwood, Clifton Collins Jr., & Leonard Nimoy

Plot: Aboard the USS Enterprise, the most-sophisticated starship ever built, a novice crew embarks on its maiden voyage. Their path takes them on a collision course with Nero (Eric Bana), a Romulan commander whose mission of vengeance threatens all mankind. If humanity would survive, a rebellious young officer named James T. Kirk (Chris Pine) and a coolly logical Vulcan named Spock (Zachary Quinto) must move beyond their rivalry and find a way to defeat Nero before it is too late.

RIP Lenoard Nimoy, JJ is one of my favorite directors today. I never liked Star Trek, until JJ's Star Trek happened. Granted Trek fans say it is pretty much Abrams making his Star Wars and tbh I think that's why I liked it. I loved this movie. From Pine's Kirk to Quinto's Spock (Seriously Quinto is like the spitting image of a young Spock) all the way down to Simon Pegg and Anton Yelchin and especially John Cho and Urban are great.

32. Birdman: The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance (2014)
Comedy, Drama
Rotten Tomatoes: 93%

IMDB: 7.9/10

Directed by: Alejandro González Iñárritu

Starring: Michael Keaton, Emma Stone, Edward Norton, Zach Galifianakis, Naomi Watts, Andrea Riseborough, & Amy Ryan

Plot: Former cinema superhero Riggan Thomson (Michael Keaton) is mounting an ambitious Broadway production that he hopes will breathe new life into his stagnant career. It's risky, but he hopes that his creative gamble will prove that he's a real artist and not just a washed-up movie star. As opening night approaches, a castmate is injured, forcing Riggan to hire an actor (Edward Norton) who is guaranteed to shake things up. Meanwhile, Riggan must deal with his girlfriend, daughter and ex-wife.

I mean.....this thing won a little award called Best Picture....I don't even know if I need to explain why I loved it. I guess I will. Two words Michael.....Keaton. Keaton was fantastic in this movie along with the entire cast. I loved the story all the way through(No cuts til you know when, very ambitious) I absolutely loved the ending as well.

31. Inception (2010)
Rotten Tomatoes: 86%

IMDB: 8.8/10

Directed by: Christopher Nolan

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Ellen Page, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy, Ken Watanabe, Dileep Rao, Cillian Murphy, Michael Caine, & Pete Postlethwaite

Plot: Dom Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a thief with the rare ability to enter people's dreams and steal their secrets from their subconscious. His skill has made him a hot commodity in the world of corporate espionage but has also cost him everything he loves. Cobb gets a chance at redemption when he is offered a seemingly impossible task: Plant an idea in someone's mind. If he succeeds, it will be the perfect crime, but a dangerous enemy anticipates Cobb's every move.

Many are massively confused with this movie but after 2-3 viewings I was able to take in everything and it is one of my favorites by Nolan. Massively creative and I really like the acting and action sequences in this.

Inception is a good one, though not one of my favorites.
Not sure if you like animation, but I'd recommend giving Paprika a try. It's a big influence on this film.

30. The Prestige (2006) Drama, Mystery, Thriller
Rotten Tomatoes: 76%

IMDB: 8.5/10

Directed by: Christopher Nolan

Starring: Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Scarlett Johansson, Michael Caine, Piper Perabo, Rebecca Hall, David Bowie, & Andy Serkis,

Plot: An illusion gone horribly wrong pits two 19th-century magicians, Alfred Borden (Christian Bale) and Rupert Angier (Hugh Jackman), against each other in a bitter battle for supremacy. Terrible consequences loom when the pair escalate their feud, each seeking not just to outwit -- but to destroy -- the other man.

My favorite movie and performance by Christian Bale (I literally don't like Bale in anything else), and I literally watched it for the first time a month or 2 ago. Half way through the film I knew what was up but I still enjoyed it nonetheless and I can't believe it took me 9 years before I finally watched it.

I'm getting the feeling somebody's a Nolan fan.
I like The Prestige and have it on DVD, but my dislike of both Bale and Jackman probably kept me from loving it.

29. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
Rotten Tomatoes: 88%

IMDB: 8.3/10

Directed by: Quentin Tarantino

Starring: Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Diane Kruger, Eli Roth, Mélanie Laurent, Michael Fassbender, Daniel Brühl, Til Schweiger, Gedeon Burkhard, & Jacky Ido

Plot: It is the first year of Germany's occupation of France. Allied officer Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) assembles a team of Jewish soldiers to commit violent acts of retribution against the Nazis, including the taking of their scalps. He and his men join forces with Bridget von Hammersmark, a German actress and undercover agent, to bring down the leaders of the Third Reich. Their fates converge with theater owner Shosanna Dreyfus, who seeks to avenge the Nazis' execution of her family.

"We're gonna be doin' one thing and one thing only... killin' Nazis"

Gotta say it still bugs me that Tarantino spelled Inglorious and Bastards wrong, even though he did it deliberately lol I'm OCD when it comes to misspellings especially in a Movie's title. Just wow, probably one of my favorite Pitt performances and one of my favs from Tarantino. Christoph Waltz is great like he always is. The ridiculousness is something Tarantino knows how to do well. And just to be frank I don't actually hate Pulp Fiction I like the film, I just don't love it like everybody else does.