AdamUpBxtch's Top 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

I am still working on my list, but I will start posting them as soon as I am close to finished.

My lists will sometimes not be entirely accurate as my favorites move up and down all the time, but most of the films on this list will be on my list no matter how many changes I make.

These 50 movies are my babies, I love these movies. I have watched many in my time on this planet. This list will be wonky as I am mixing all my favorites from every genre together (Drama, Comedy, Sci-Fi, Action) , I almost have 50-40 picked out, when I have those 10 completely locked in that's when I'll start posting, that could be later tonight or tomorrow or even a week from now.

All film is subjective so I don't care if some of these movies I'm gonna post have low ratings as ratings from people I don't care about on the Internet don't matter to me. Many of the movies on this list I love for nostalgic reasons but they are still good films to me. I know many may/will be written better than others but hell doesn't mean I enjoy them better. It will also take me a while to post them all as I will be watching each one again as I post them so I can actually go a little into the movie itself and why I enjoy them.

Full List:
50. Tremors (1990)
49. Stranger Than Fiction (2006)
48. The Mist (2007)
47. Seven Psychopaths (2012)
46. The Patriot (2000)
45. Road to Perdition (2002)
44. Signs (2002)
43. Monty Python & the Holy Grail (1975)
42. Kick-Ass (2010)
41. Horrible Bosses (2011)
40. Army of Darkness (1992)
39. Tropic Thunder (2008)
38. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
37. The Way Way Back (2013)
36. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
35. Pacific Rim (2013)
34. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)
33. Star Trek (2009)
32. Birdman (2014)
31. Inception (2010)
30. The Prestige (2006)
29. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
28. Zodiac (2007)
27. Shutter Island (2010)
26. The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
25. The Usual Suspect (1995)
24. Gladiator (2000)
23. King Kong (2005)
22. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
21. Django Unchained (2012)
20. The Imitation Game (2014)
19. The Godfather (1972)
18. Jaws (1975)
17. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
16. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
15. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
14. Starship Troopers (1997)
13. Kingsman: the Secret Service (2015)
12. Zombieland (2009)
11. The Truman Show (1998)
10. Se7en (1995)
9. A Beautiful Mind (2001)
8. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
7. Nightcrawler (2014)
6. Forrest Gump (1994)
5. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
4. Independence Day (1996)
3. The Departed (2006)
2. Lord of the Rings (2001, 2002, 2003)
1. Jurassic Park (1993)

50. Tremors(1990) Comedy, Horror, Sci-Fi
Rotten Tomatoes: 84%

IMDB: 7.2/10

Metacritic: 65%

Director: Ron Underwood

Starring: Kevin Bacon, Fred Ward, Finn Carter, Michael Gross, & Reba McEntire

Plot: Repairmen Val McKee and Earl Bassett are tired of their dull lives in the small desert town of Perfection, Nev. But just as the two try to skip town, they happen upon a series of mysterious deaths and a concerned seismologist studying unnatural readings below the ground. With the help of an eccentric couple, the group fights for survival against giant, worm-like monsters hungry for human flesh.

My favorite low budget B-Horror movie of all time, and also my favorite film from Kevin Bacon(Sorry Footloose). The entire cast is great, especially Michael Gross who shines above everyone else as Burt Gummer(You can see why he was brought back for all 3 sequels). Granted the sequels suck(2 wasn't terrible but nowhere near as good as the first one, and the 4th one had some good moments.). I love the humor, action, and sci-fi elements mixed in, and of course the star of the movie is the Graboids, the huge worms that terrorize the humans in the film. Although I will admit the worms evolving in the later films is pretty cool but the characters of the last 2 just aren't as entertaining to watch on their own. Burt's character is good throughout every movie but he can't carry the films himself so when you lack good supporting characters it takes away from it greatly. Also it seemed the quality of the films actually went down as the films when along.

You said you didn't care if they had low ratings or whatever people said on the internet, yet you post 3 different user/critic ratings? Wouldn't that just be stupid numbers to you?

Hah, but anyways. Tremors is a widely loved B-monster-flick, but I didn't like it as much as I hoped to do. Decent pick though.

You said you didn't care if they had low ratings or whatever people said on the internet, yet you post 3 different user/critic ratings? Wouldn't that just be stupid numbers to you?

Hah, but anyways. Tremors is a widely loved B-monster-flick, but I didn't like it as much as I hoped to do. Decent pick though.
nah I just added them in there to make it look all nice and fancy

49. Stranger Than Fiction (2006) Comedy, Drama, Fantasy
Rotten Tomatoes: 72%

IMDB: 7.7/10

Metacritic: 67%

Director: Marc Forster

Starring: Will Ferrell, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson, Queen Latifah

Plot: An IRS auditor suddenly finds himself the subject of narration only he can hear: narration that begins to affect his entire life, from his work, to his love-interest, to his death.

IMO one of the best movies Will Ferrell has ever done. This isn't your typical Ferrell movie folks. Stranger Than Fiction is a fantastic comedy from start to finish, and from the story to the characters. The idea of the movie alone is interesting and Forster and this cast pull it off well. One of my favorite parts of this movie is of course Emma Thompson being the writer unknowingly deciding his fate and Maggie Gyllenhaal is perfect as Ferrell's love interest. Ferrell is actually directed brilliantly by Forster who keeps him tamed and used effectively.

Tremors has some pretty silly parts, but it's too boring for me to watch. It actually gave me nightmares when I was a kid though.

Stranger than Fiction would also make my top 50. Loved all the characters especially Ana Pascal.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I absolutely love Tremors, one of my favourites as well. I also remember really liking Stranger Than Fiction but I think I've only seen it once, possibly twice, and it's been many years so I don't remember it a great deal

48. The Mist (2007) Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller
Rotten Tomatoes: 73%

Metacritic: 58%

Directed by: Frank Darabont

Starring: Thomas Jane, Marcia Gay Harden, Laurie Holden, Andre Braugher, & Toby Jones

Plot: A freak storm unleashes a species of bloodthirsty creatures on a small town, where a small band of citizens hole up in a supermarket and fight for their lives.

Now before people start freaking out, I think the ending to this movie is absolutely brilliant, but I get why many people did not like it. I like many Darabont films from the Green Mile to Shawshank but The Mist is my favorite. Love the mystery in this movie, the atmosphere and the overall message is another thing that shines in this movie. The Sci-Fi element and the creatures are the icing on top of the cake.

Wasn't a fan of the ending, but not sure how else it could have ended? I liked The Mist too but mainly because of how great (and creepy) Marcia Gay Harden was and how the character helped transform the others around her with the increasing fear of the unknown. I don't consider myself a religious person but meeting a religious extremist always stands out in my mind and makes her performance so much more chilling and lingering.

47. Seven Psychopaths (2012) Comedy, Crime
Rotten Tomatoes: 83%

Metacritic: 66%

Directed By: Martin McDonagh

Starring: Colin Farrell, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, Tom Waits, Abbie Cornish, & Olga Kurylenko

Plot: Boozy writer Marty (Colin Farrell) is a man in search of a screenplay. He has a catchy title but no story to go along with it. Marty has a couple of oddball buddies, Hans (Christopher Walken) and Billy (Sam Rockwell), who make a living by kidnapping rich people's dogs, then returning them and collecting the reward. However this time, the fur flies when Hans and Billy kidnap the beloved pooch of a gangster (Woody Harrelson), and Marty uses the ensuing events as fodder for his screenplay.

I've loved pretty much every movie by McDonagh, but Seven Psychopaths took the cake. It is a brilliant dark comedy and Sam Rockwell is one of my favorite comedic actors so anything he is in I'm gonna love. The entire cast is great from Walken to Woody even to Waits. If you haven't seen this movie you are seriously missing out.

46. The Patriot (2000) Action, Drama, History
Rotten Tomatoes: 62%

IMDB: 7.1/10

Metacritic: 63%

Directed by: Roland Emmerich

Starring: Mel Gibson, Heath Ledger, Joely Richardson, Jason Issacs, Chris Cooper, Tchéky Karyo, & Rene Auberjonois

Plot: Mel Gibson portrays Benjamin Martin, an unassuming man who is forced to join the American Revolution when the British threaten to take his farm away from him. Together with his patriotic son, Gabriel, the pair faces the vicious Redcoats with a heroism that reflects the stubborn pride of a young country's most dedicated supporters.

Although this movie is not completely historically accurate(which is where most of the criticism comes from) and some may call it a poor man's Braveheart(Even though both films have different stories if you think about it although some elements may be the same) I still love this movie. Now many will say Braveheart is a better film and Braveheart may very well be story, writing, acting wise, but I personally like The Patriot more. It is still a great fictional story an I'll watch any story set during the American Revolution or colonial times as I love that era so this one has a soft spot for me. Mel Gibson is still a fantastic actor and I'll watch pretty much anything he is in. This is how I feel about Shia Labeouf as well. I don't care for off screen drama, I watch movies for entertainment and I happen to enjoy watching Mel Gibson's movies, so sue me. And don't get me wrong I still like Braveheart i'm not taking anything away from it. I just responded more to the Patriot.