Most Shocking Death Scenes?

Tools    

Hi everyone,

I was talking about this with a friend recently and thought it made a nice little forum thread idea. So, what are the most shocking death scenes in cinema?

One that instantly springs to mind for me has got to be from the very start of Sinister. The very opening shot, straight away we see a family of 4 being hanged. It's just a single unflinching shot that seems to last for ages. What an opening! Once you see that, you know you're in for a very special movie!

Another one that I thought of - completely different to Sinister! - is the death scene in Bambi. If you want to traumatise a kid, stick on Bambi...or Lion King!

So what are your most shocking cinematic death or murder scenes? Which ones either made you jump back in horror, or burst with emotion?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	sinisterhanging.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	9949  

We've gone on holiday by mistake

Most WTF death, Steven Seagal EARLY in Executive Decision.

The scene where Damian's nanny jumps off the roof with a noose around her neck in the Omen. What makes it worse is what she said before she jumped; "Damian, this is all for you." Still gives me the chills.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Not really shocking but really hilarious is Samuel L Jackson's death scene in Deep Blue Sea, I guess it was kind of shocking because I really did not see it coming.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
The elevator scene in Drive, from a film whose violence came out of nowhere and shocked every time, the elevator scene where The Driver stomps a guy's head in had to be the craziest and most unexpected.

One that I couldn't get out of my head for days because I found it so sad and disturbing was in the film Martyrs, when Lucie kills herself. I found that the most disturbing thing in the whole film actually, more than the other violence/gore in the film.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
There's a few in The Departed, but the ones in Executive Decision and Deep Blue Sea are the funniest.

That scene from L.A. Confidential is one of the most unexpected deaths I've ever witnessed in a film. I just didn't see it coming.

There are two scenes in Tarantino's Django that are intensely frightful and disturbing, and those scenes had no humor in them. It was pretty clear that Tarantino was dead serious. The audience was laughing because of a previous scene, and all of a sudden it became totally silent during the mandingo fight. A woman in front of me at the theater kept her head down and her ears covered for the entire scene during D'Artagnan's death.

To Live and Die in LA.

Totally unexpected and shocking when the lead actor Will Peterson's character gets shotgun blasted in the locker room.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I'd say that Mufasa dieing in the Lion King is a worthy choice for most surprising death-scene, especially for a little kid. I don't know, maybe Batman's near-death, or maybe Donnie's in Donnie Darko.

The most shocking death scene I have ever scene in a movie was the opening shark attack on Chrissy in Jaws.. The really scary part was that you couldn't really see what was happening, and your imagination came up with all sorts of horrible images. The next most shocking was from the same movie...when the head popped out of the porthole on the semi-sunken boat that Hooper was investigating. You expected the shark to show up any second and start chowing-down.

This, and Saving Private Ryan ( I am a combat Vet) are the only two movies I have ever seen that actually caused me to have adrenalin rushes.

Neutral Milk Hotel
One that's definitely surprising, and hilarious, is Brad Pitt's death scene in Burn After Reading.
Love that one! I love how nothing in that movie is supposed to be taken seriously. At the same time, it's not "in your face" comedy either.

And how can we forget the most tragic coen bros. death...I will only say...

"Goodnight sweet prince"
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King