Donald Trump for President?

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Iran's Asghar Farhadi won't be let into the US to attend Oscar's. He's nominated for best foreign language film.

Suspect's Reviews

The Visa Ban by Trump is hurting innocent people that he and his administration know nothing about. I feel less safe now that he is throwing around his power in such moronic fashion.

oh so most of the complaints about the ban in this thread are "it's bad for optics," not "thousands of people are going to die." cool.
criticker

oh so most of the complaints about the ban in this thread are "it's bad for optics," not "thousands of people are going to die." cool.
My main complaint was that his persona inspires foolishness on both sides of the political spectrum.

"Not being able to go to America" does not mean "going to die", by the way. There are many other solutions.

What?

This ban illustrates a lot of what's wrong with this administration. Much of this travel ban seems to have been orchestrated by Bannon working behind the scenes. It was hastily put together and signed off on, without anybody even knowing what was going on, most especially by those who were supposed to be enforcing it. Trump is in his own fantasy world when he then claims the government was ready and everything is going great, when of course that was not the case. It makes this country look extremely bad and it won't do one damn thing to make our country safer. And then they prove they're no more knowledgeable than the citizens they're busy conning when they point to the San Bernardino shooting as some example of what they're trying to prevent. Uh-huh. It makes you wonder how stupid they really are and what idiocy lies ahead.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say? Do you mean the 1st and 2nd Constitutional Amendments are the cause of American Nationalism?
Those make it distinct and not such a bad thing.

It's pretty obvious that few people are harder on the concept of Islamic Terrorism and preventing it than I am.

But some of the things I saw on the news today are quite disturbing: people who got on a plane with proper visas, who entered the country legally are being detained at airports due to Trump's ban. There's no reason anyone already enroute to the country, who is utilizing established legal avenues and submitting to the standard security checks, should be treated like a criminal suspect or prisoner when they arrive.

The bans that Trump is imposing have to be coordinated with other countries.
Various possibilities, scenarios and contingencies need to be thoroughly examined before making absolute mandates (such as how do you handle government diplomats, businesspeople, doctors, students, etc. from banned areas who are already involved in activities in America).

As Yoda said, "this particular formulation of it was rushed and not particularly thought through."

If the doors to America are temporarily closed to some areas, then people should be told at the point of departure, not detained on arrival! Many variables have to be grandfathered in. You can't just say that a ban was instituted at 3:00, so all Iranians on flights to the U.S. have to be thrown out over the Atlantic at 3:01. (I know that's an exaggerated analogy, but you know what I mean.)

What have you done to help those thousands of people, other than sit on your moral high horse?

There is a "rogue twitter" account said to be from an insider in the White House. This very likely could be a hoax, though apparently there has been insider information revealed in it. If it's a hoax, it's brilliant. If it isn't, and it really is revealing things going on in the WH, then we as a nation are in some deep, deep doo-doo. The fact is even as a hoax, it's scary, because it's exactly what we can imagine is going on behind the scenes. Well, check it out.

News story: http://bgr.com/2017/01/30/donald-tru...-house-rogues/

The actual twitter page: https://twitter.com/roguepotusstaff

This is an awesome post.

Hey guys, did you hear about the Trump Administration's new deal? Apparently, for as little as a million bucks, you can buy a crucial government position! They call it The DeVos Offer.

A lot of the arguments I've heard about DeVos and these donations are awfully simplistic, and probably have the causality backwards. I had a discussion about this with Slappydavis over in the Hillary Clinton thread awhile ago, and we both sort of agreed:

I've worked for a legislator that's gone through accusations of quid pro quo, and I've seen first hand clear examples of how many favorable decisions you can make towards a group and how often they give you money can align to spur quid pro quo.
I agree, so I want to be clear on this: I'm usually the guy who thinks this isn't happening. That is to say, it bugs me when people just show the money, and show the decision, and suggest that's enough. They make no attempt to show causality. In other words, if the NRA gives money to someone who supports gun rights, they do it because they know they agree, not to convince them to agree. So a lot of things look shady that aren't.
It's pretty clear that this is an issue they've donated to people over because it's an issue they care about. And she was chosen specifically because she has that history. It'd be kinda weird if they hadn't donated to a cause they ostensibly believe in.

Obviously, all this information is freely available, so people can, and should, make their own decisions. But that means addressing the causality issue head-on and trying to make a plausible case, not just pointing to the donations as if they, all by themselves, are damning. I don't think that's a tenable standard. Though if people want to start using it, they should do the same, backwards-looking, with nominees from administrations they were more fond of. I suspect the discussion will take on some much-needed nuance fairly quickly.

EDIT: for example:

Well, tell ya' what: you can bet on the pyramid thing, and I'll bet on "more poor kids will get vouchers to choose their school with," and we'll see how well each of us do.

So Yoda, why didn't you assault Obama voters for liking him when he lied "If you like your healthcare plan, you can keep it." ?? Politifact's 2013 lie of the Year. Where were you then?

Also, why do you think people want to play your question game, when it's clear your intention is to make people look bad?

That's why you turned into a bad administrator during the 2016 election.

P.S. Have fun looking up at me in your baseball league.

1. Where's your answer on Libya and Iraq? Do you think people don't notice that you always change the subject when you don't have a response? Try again.

2. Maybe you should ask yourself why asking a couple (really obvious) questions is all I have to do to "make you look bad."

3. Trash-talking about fantasy sports in response to political arguments is pretty sad at any time, but particularly a fifth of the way through the season. Grow up.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
It is awkward. Calling the owner of the house a bad administrator screams of sour grapes and is really disrespectful, nostro.