Academy Award Nominations are IN!

Tools    

Just like to say also, I don't much care for the awards but I might watch it, maybe if my moms got it on. there's always that possibility but very doubt full.

Cheers

Now With Moveable Parts
I'm glad Rene Z. was nominated for Bridget Jones's Diary. She was really, really cute and her comic timing was right on. She won't win, though. At least I don't think so.

" And now I'd like to introduce Mr....(**** pervert) Mr.....(**** pervert)...Mr. Fitzherbert, because that...is his name."

I don't get it: why the negativity? Seems like every single year I hear someone talking about how it was such a bad year for movies. I don't get it at all. I loved the movies I saw this year. I think movies as of late have been wonderful. Now, I'm a bit ignorant as to films of the past, but I don't think I'd do any kind of about-face if I watched a few more older flicks. Maybe other people don't like what's been coming out, but I've been having a blast.

Guy
Originally posted by TWTCommish
I don't get it: why the negativity? Seems like every single year I hear someone talking about how it was such a bad year for movies. I don't get it at all. I loved the movies I saw this year. I think movies as of late have been wonderful. Now, I'm a bit ignorant as to films of the past, but I don't think I'd do any kind of about-face if I watched a few more older flicks. Maybe other people don't like what's been coming out, but I've been having a blast.
I basically agree. I thought there were some great films released this year. Not every year can be a 1999 though, unfortanately.

Let's compare the list to Hold's in the other thread.
I'll comment more when I get home, but for now. My God. It's quite a boring and somewhat predictable list, isn't it? I was up first thing to get it, because I have had a nominee guessing contest, but it seems that the winner guessing contest shall be rather simple, doesn't it?

So, T, when do we start? Guessing?

i dont care what beats a beautiful mind, unless i go see GP or in the bedroom and hate it. As long as something does.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Well I thought there was some good stuff this year THE SCORE, THE HEIST, BLACK HAWK DOWN even Tim Burton's remake of Planet of the Apes, Ocean's Eleven I loved , A Beautiful Mind was a pleasant surprise , Blow Rocked, The Pledge should have been awarded for it excallent acting and Penn's superb direction also there was some OKers too The Majestic and The Last Caste.

I just don't get why the movies that have just came out in the theatre's from the last couple of months always seem to get all the oscars.

I'm not complaining about the year, every year has it's greats and it not so swift ones Ups and Downs. I'm complaining about the actual awards ceremony I think it licks. So.... TWT if you thought I was refering to the year I wasn't just the awards. I mean think about it the people that do the voting don't even have to have watched it to vote for it, that's a crime.

Guy
I'm open to ideas. You guys wanna get a game or something together here? Winner gets a DVD, my treat?
If you want to do a game; it could be a predictions game. Everyone can send in their predictions under every category to a neutral party (don't know if posting them would work because on the oscar night everyone could edit / change em ). Whoever has the highest percentage of correct predictions wins.

I thought it was a great year last year. Of course, without those last 4 months, it would have been *****. but alas, we were blessed with some great ones toward the end of the year.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
This year actually has a tough call for Best Picture, although everyone knows it should go to LOTR, but who knows really...

A game at this point would be very tough to call, but that's why it makes it so much fun.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

These are the ones I picked correctly in the other thread...

PICTURE: A Beautiful Mind, Gosford Park, In the Bedroom, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (4 of 5)

DIRECTOR: Robert Altman, Ron Howard, Peter Jackson (3 of 5)

ACTOR: Russell Crowe, Will Smith, Tom Wilkinson (3 of 5)

ACTRESS: Halle Barry, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Sissy Spacek (4 of 5)

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Jim Broadbent, Ben Kingsley, Jon Voight (3 of 5)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Maggie Smith, Marisa Tomei, Kate Winslet (3 of 5*)
*4 of 5 if you count my Jennifer Connelly pick for Best Actress

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Gosford Park and Monster's Ball (2 of 5*)
*would have been 3 of 5 if I had heard they were counting Memento as an original, as the film's production narrowly beat the magazine publication of the short story

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:A Beautiful Mind, In the Bedroom, The Fellowship of the Ring (3 of 5)

It's easier to pick the actual winners every year than the nominees. Same *****, different year.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'll second that: nominations are easy to predict.
I'm just tallying how I went with my nominee predictions now. I'll be back shortly to give you the answers to how I went.

I only did the big eight also.

I don't see Boromir as static. I do see Gimli and Legolas as static, though, which is one of my gripes with the film. I don't think LOTR will take Best Picture (my money is on A Beautiful Mind), but I DO think (and hope!) that PJ has a real shot at Best Director.
I wasn't basing my opinions on static/dynamic based off the movie, but rather based off the books.

And yes, Boromir isn't completely static but basically up until he dies he is. You could still argue that he never changes though, he's a desperate man throughout the whole movie - sure he realizes at the end he made a mistake or two, but he's still a desperate man.

Legolas and Gimli are static in the books. Sure they have their own little banter going on about the trees and the rocks but they don't really contribute to the story and are really just there to flesh out the fellowship and provide some more exotic personalities.

I dunno what else to say: I think Boromir is moving, important, and there for a very good reason. I don't see him as static at all. As for Gimli and Legolas: I think they are there to add realism. To show us that racism will exist in any form it can. Gimli and Legolas are, in the movies, a bit static, indeed...a bit boring. Just there because they "have" to be. But in the books, I found them quite important. I could be wrong, though. Just the impression I got. The cast of characters was so huge that there were tons of significant characters, and several major ones.

Of the 45 nominations I made, I got 30 correct predictions.

I stuffed up by putting Memento in Original Screenplay and Jennifer Connolly in Best Acress (In a Lead Role). I also out A.I in best cinematography instead of Black Hawk Down (which of course, got the nod).

I lost to my friend by three predictions.
Damn!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Wow. I am definitely not watching the Oscars this year. Way to celebrate Mediocrity! Where's Memento for Best Picture? Royal Tennenbaums? Training Day? Sure these were nominated in smaller catergories, but didn't get tapped for the big prize. In any case, I hope Denzel Washington wins Best Actor, since he was pretty much the only one on the list who took any risks. Where's Steve Buscemi for Best Supporting Actor in Ghost World? Thora Birch? Gene Hackman? Owen Wilson? It's all a rip off. I also noticed that while not in any major catergories, Pearl Harbor got nominated for a disturbing number of awards. Moulin Rouge for best picture? Are they on crack? This all makes the "Lame List" in my book.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I thought Denzel's performance in Training Day was solid, but far from the best work of his career. Not even close, really. But that's hardly the oddest head-scratching nomination the Academy has ever made.

The Oscars are this bafflingly dumb every single year. It's just the way it is.

And much more of the Academy is on Perkaset than crack cocaine.