Academy Award Nominations are IN!

Tools    

Wakey, wakey, everyone.

The Oscar nominations have arrived and I've got very few complaints.

Here's the list:

Actor in a Leading Role
Russell Crowe - A BEAUTIFUL MIND

Sean Penn - I AM SAM

Will Smith - ALI

Denzel Washington - TRAINING DAY

Tom Wilkinson - IN THE BEDROOM

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Jim Broadbent - IRIS

Ethan Hawke - TRAINING DAY

Ben Kingsley - SEXY BEAST

Ian McKellen - LORD OF THE RINGS - FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

Jon Voight - ALI

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Halle Berry - MONSTER'S BALL

Judi Dench - IRIS

Nicole Kidman - MOULIN ROUGE

Sissy Spacek - IN THE BEDROOM

Renée Zellweger - BRIDGET JONES' DIARY

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Jennifer Connelly - A BEAUTIFUL MIND

Helen Mirren - GOSFORD PARK

Maggie Smith - GOSFORD PARK

Marisa Tomei - IN THE BEDROOM

Kate Winslet - IRIS

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
JIMMY NEUTRON: BOY GENIUS

MONSTERS, INC.

SHREK

ART DIRECTION
AMÉLIE

GOSFORD PARK

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

MOULIN ROUGE

CINEMATOGRAPHY
AMÉLIE

BLACK HAWK DOWN

THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE

MOULIN ROUGE

COSTUME DESIGN
THE AFFAIR OF THE NECKLACE

GOSFORD PARK

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE

DIRECTING
A BEAUTIFUL MIND - Ron Howard

BLACK HAWK DOWN - Ridley Scott

GOSFORD PARK - Robert Altman

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Peter Jackson

MULHOLLAND DRIVE - David Lynch

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
CHILDREN UNDERGROUND

LALEE'S KIN: THE LEGACY OF COTTON

MURDER ON A SUNDAY MORNING

PROMISES

WAR PHOTOGRAPHER

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
ARTISTS AND ORPHANS: A TRUE DRAMA

SING!

THOTH

FILM EDITING
A BEAUTIFUL MIND

BLACK HAWK DOWN

MEMENTO

MOULIN ROUGE

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
AMÉLIE

ELLING

LAGAAN

NO MAN'S LAND

SON OF THE BRIDE

MAKEUP
A BEAUTIFUL MIND

MOULIN ROUGE

MUSIC (SCORE)
A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE - John WIlliams

A BEAUTIFUL MIND

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE - John Williams

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Howard Shore

MONSTERS, INC.

MUSIC (SONG)
KATE & LEOPOLD

MONSTERS, INC.

PEARL HARBOR

VANILLA SKY

BEST PICTURE
A BEAUTIFUL MIND

GOSFORD PARK

IN THE BEDROOM

MOULIN ROUGE

SHORT FILM -- ANIMATED
FIFTY PERCENT GREY

FOR THE BIRDS

GIVE UP YER AUL SINS

STRANGE INVADERS

STUBBLE TROUBLE

SHORT FILM -- LIVE ACTION
THE ACCOUNTANT

COPY SHOP

GREGOR'S GREATEST INVENTION

A MAN THING (Meska Sprawa)

SPEED FOR THESPIANS

SOUND
AMÉLIE

BLACK HAWK DOWN

MOULIN ROUGE

PEARL HARBOR

SOUND EDITING
MONSTERS, INC.

PEARL HARBOR

VISUAL EFFECTS
A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

PEARL HARBOR

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
A BEAUTIFUL MIND

GHOST WORLD

IN THE BEDROOM

SHREK

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
AMÉLIE

GOSFORD PARK

MEMENTO

MONSTER'S BALL

THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS

YES! The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring -- 13 flippin' nominations. 5 more than A Beautiful Mind...including Best Picture and Best Director. Sweeeet. I don't think it'll win the top honor, sorry to say (I hope it does, though...I'd love to see a movie I really love win), but I think PJ's got a reasonable shot at the Best Director Oscar.

I dunno what to think of McKellan's nomination. Part of me thinks they knew they HAD to nominate someone from that flick in this category...as there were just so damn many of them. Here's hoping that Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone gets some recognition, at least in Costume Design or something. I'm a little steamed that it didn't get a Best Adapted Screenplay nomination.

BTW: many thanks, Val, for getting this list up.

Ooh now it is getting exciting. We're down to five nominations in most categories but it's still difficult to call a winner.

I hope Will Smith wins best Actor. It should allow him to pursue more serious projects. NO MORE MEN IN BLACKS. He's a fine actor when he wants to be, e.g. Six Degrees of Separation. Russell Crowe and Washington have already won, and that's a hindrance to their chances, just look at Tom Hanks who would definitely have won last year but for his oscar double. It would be a sin if Sean Penn won. He's played some wonderful parts over the years - Dead Man Walking, Sweet and Lowdown but the Academy should not reward I am Sam - it's sentimental trash. Tom Wilkinson should have got a supporting nod for Shakespeare in Love and I like him but he doesn't need the Oscar.

Fingers crossed that Jim Broadbent wins the supporting actor award. I haven't seen Iris, but the man deserved a nomination for Moulin Rouge anyway. Great year for a great actor. I see him being an Oscar regular, like Judi Dench, now that he's got one in the bag. McKellan has a chance and I wouldn't begrudge him a win. However, the Fellowship has nine members, not one, I'm sure Sir Ian wouldn't like to be singled out. Ben Kingsley was incredible in Sexy Beast but I think a nomination is thanks enough. Hawke and Jon Voight must be the outsiders in this race.

Renee Zellwegger? Wow. That was a surprise. I'm glad for her even though Bridget Jones' Diary was only mediocre. She was enjoyable though. And she deserves it for her body of work over the last few years. This Oscar has got Kidman's name written all over it. I thought her performance in The Others was better but I'm sure she won't be bothered by this. Judi Dench scores the Meryl Streep nomination, that is, no chance of winning but we really like you so you've got a ticket. Spacek and Berry have a chance. Spacek won before but she's gotta be Kidman's great rival. Personally I'd love to see two black actors win both principle acting awards. I'll be campaigning for Halle.

My Cousin Vinny wasn't a fluke after all. It's nice to see Marisa Tomei back after that controversial win. Good luck to her. I've always liked her. Most will say she hasn't a chance this year but then again she didn't have a chance back when she won the thing. I'll root for Jennifer Connelly only because I'm in love with the woman. I think she'll win it too. She's been a good Hollywood story. Young actress starts promisingly, gets lost in predictable fare, makes comeback, wins Oscar. Kate Winslet could have a chance. She's had an interesting year and could have won before. The Gosford Park team will cancel each other out surely.

Monsters Inc. will win the first best animated feature category if there is any justice in the world. Pixar have been the best animated company for the last ten years and behind them are Disney who have this enormous animated legacy. If Oscar has any appreciation for history and if it chooses on film quality then Sully and Mike will grab the gold. Not that ugly green ogre.

Art Direction will be Harry Potter's best chance of silverware. Let's hope it wins.

I'll finish this later.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Should've bolded the categories...they all started running together...
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Man, so many movies left out, people snubbed, what a crime. No nods for mulholand drive, waking life, lantana, ghost world, hedwig and the angry inch, the royal tenenbaums, the man who wasnt there etc.

These awards have become such a farce in recent years. I think this is most obvious by the fact that the full length animated category doesn't include waking life, which was among the best movies made this year, and even if you wouldnt say so, was revolutionary animation work, the most beautiful i had ever seen, and the one work i would say is truly art at 24 fps.

Tom Wilkinson absolutely deserves best actor, he was amazing in in the bedroom. But no nods for either of the billy bob roles? The man who wasn't there was a little dry for some people, though i personally adored it, but monster's ball was a breakthorugh role even for someone as good as him.

In the Bedroom was movie of the year, so im happy it got nominated, but it probably wont win since it was far too emotionally resonant. Also the elderly hated it, and the academy has become extremely old recently.

Originally posted by captainshade
Man, so many movies left out, people snubbed, what a crime. No nods for mulholand drive, waking life, lantana, ghost world, hedwig and the angry inch, the royal tenenbaums, the man who wasnt there etc.
Um, I believe 4 of those 6 films have a nomination to their credit.

Now With Moveable Parts
I can't believe Moulin Rouge doesn't have any nominations in Musical Score or Song. That's interesting. I also find it strange that Denzel was nominated for his rold in Training Day. I didn't see anything special, there.
I hope LOTR sweeps.

I can't believe Moulin Rouge doesn't have any nominations in Musical Score or Song.
Why should it? I think they only nominate original stuff. So there goes a lot of it, I'd imagine. There was some controversy over the song Come What May, though. From IMDB.com:

Ewan McGregor is getting vocal about the news his Moulin Rouge duet with Nicole Kidman can't be entered for an Oscar. Speaking at this weekend's European Film Awards in Berlin, Germany, the Scottish star initially tried to play down his hurt over the duo's track Come What May being ineligible for the Best Song Oscar, because it wasn't originally written for the film. He shrugged, "It's a pain isn't it? It's ineligible because it was written for Romeo & Juliet... I guess therefore it's not original." But the Academy's decision clearly rankles, with Ewan adding snappily, "It's all stupid, it's silly. I would have liked it to have been up for the award."
So, there ya' have it. I hope LOTR whoops it up, too.

Now With Moveable Parts
I agree with Ewan. It's totally original, and should have been nominated. It would beat the tar out of most of the nominated songs; maybe not LOTR, but surely, Pearl Harbor and Kate& Leopald.

Well, if it was written way beforehand, it isn't original. I haven't heard it, though...so I don't have an opinion on whether or not it should be nominated. I am glad that it means LOTR will, apparently, have less to compete with in that category, though.

Now With Moveable Parts
It's original. Someone wrote it, it wasn't borrowed from anything, because it wasn't ever used before. That's how I feel about it. Like T said, though...it opened the door for LOTR, so I'm not complaining.

I think we can assume LOTR is going to win on makeup/effects/costuming

I hope Ian McKellen wins as well. As soon as I saw the movie I turned to my fiance and said he should get that award.

I think it also says something that with 13 nominations none of those are for a best actor/actress

That to me says that this movie was carried on the strength of the story, the directing, the cinematography (which I think it should win for), art direction, editing, etc.

You can take a movie like Beautiful Mind and say "Without Russel Crowe's performance where would this movie be?" You can't do that with LOTR, it was not carried by one actor's performance.

So in other words, I think that this bodes well for Peter Jackson.

As for the fellowship being of 9 and not 1, they are not all equal.

Legolas, Gimli, Boromir, Merry, and Pippin are all pretty much static characters.

The dynamic ones are Aragorn, Gandalf, Frodo, and Sam.

Now Aragorn, Frodo, and Sam have their best moments in the next movies, so those actors will get their chance for nominations.

This time around I think Ian deserves it.

I don't see Boromir as static. I do see Gimli and Legolas as static, though, which is one of my gripes with the film. I don't think LOTR will take Best Picture (my money is on A Beautiful Mind), but I DO think (and hope!) that PJ has a real shot at Best Director.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
LOTR should win something after being b*tchslapped at the Golden Globes.

Of course, Crowe will win for best Actor, don't tell me that surprises you...

Billy Bob, my choice for actor of the year, was shut the f--k out. Shameful.

Also, the overrated Gosford Park recieved a picture nomination, while Monster's Ball, Mulholland Drive, A.I., The Royal Tenenbaums, Black Hawk Down, etc did not. Eeww.

...Of course, there's no point in really complaining. It happens every year. Beloved didn't get a single nomination in 1998, nor did Rushmore. Three Kings was shut out in 1999. And last year, Dancer in the Dark recieved one nomination, for song.

This year looks quite nasty, It going to be a FOTR over taking. Some others in there makes me think if there the best the year has to offer than that's a really sad state of affairs.

I haven't seen a lot of stuff this year but the only great ones have been Gosford Park and LOTR:FOTR so far out of what I've seen.

Guy
Gosford Park doesn't deserve the best picture nom IMO. I think Altman will win the Oscar though. He hasn't won one before, and they'd want to give him one at this old age, before he dies. (They also tend to give 'make-up' oscars, such as Russel Crowe winning Gladiator instead of Insider).

Ethan Hawk? Why wouldn't they put someone else like Jude Law for A.I. instead, IMO Hawk wasn't that good in that film.

Also IMO, I think they nominate way too many portrayals of the mentally disabled. Penn? It's getting kind of old.

Oh well, I'm rooting for The Fellowship of the Ring or Moulin Rouge! for best picture, and R.T. for original screenplay. A Beautiful Mind would be mediocre without Crowe's performance, the other films don't suffer from that fate.