2002 Golden Globes, results

Tools    

You guys, I've heard, have the airing of the ceremony in about four hours, I have it in about 12. I was just wondering if when you start posting threads about it you can refrain from putting the winners of any awards in the title (ie: "LOTR cleans up Globes"), basically so you don't spoil it for me. Sorry is this is a selfish request but the awards season [yes, even the Globes] is a huge deal for me and people are always unintentionally ruining it for me.

This morning I got up, turned off the radio. Tonight I will eat dinner seperatly to everyone else, I will avoid the news.

You should see me on Academy Awards day.....
I am the most paranoid ****zophreniac you've ever seen.

Anyway, thanks.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I renamed this thread to revolve around the Golden Globes so people can post their thoughts on the winners, losers, and those longa*s thank you speeches.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

No I'm not...

I am gonna put up one winner, but put it in a spoiler so it won't take away the enjoyment for you Silver Bullet.

WARNING: "Golden Globes" spoilers below
The guy who did music for Moulin Rouge was going on and on and on and on about people who helped out and whatnot

Okie dokie -- I'll choose not to come into the thread again.
Thanks Spud.

I'll come to this thread straight after I've seen the show! Thanks again.

Can't say there were any big surprises in the film categories. For TV categories they routinely reward comebacks and newcomers, but their choices in movies are much more conservative and easy to guess. The winners were...

BEST FILM, DRAMA: A Beautiful Mind
BEST DIRECTOR: Robert Altman, Gosford Park
BEST ACTOR, DRAMA: Russell Crowe, A Beautiful Mind
BEST ACTRESS, DRAMA: Sissy Spacek, In the Bedroom
BEST FILM, COMEDY/MUSICAL: Moulin Rouge
BEST ACTOR, COMEDY/MUSICAL: Gene Hackman, The Royal Tenenbaums
BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY/MUSICAL: Nicole Kidman, Moulin Rouge
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Jim Broadbent, Iris
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Jennifer Connelly, A Beautiful Mind
BEST SCREENPLAY: Akiva Goldsman, A Beautiful Mind
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: Craig Armstrong, Moulin Rouge
BEST ORIGINAL SONG: "Until" - Sting, Kate & Leopold
BEST FORIEGN-LANGUAGE FILM: No Man's Land

I don't really care about the television awards.

Of the film awards, I'd say Jim Broadbent for Iris and Akiva Goldsman for A Beautiful Mind were the only real surprises. All the other winners were either heavy favorites or figured to be in the top two for their category.

But the show ran fairly quickly. I didn't think there were any truly special or funny moments in the acceptance speeches, but nothing painfully pretentious or dumb either.

I was hapy to hear Hackman, Altman, and Spacek's names called, and I'm pretty indifferent about all the others. I hope The Academy has some more interesting picks overall, but it's kinda doubtful.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

too much credit for a beautiful mind , not enough for Amelie and LOTR.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Well as far as Amelie goes, it wasn't elligible for Best Film in any other category than Foreign-Language. That's part of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's bylaws for the event, so that fifty Europeans on the voting panel don't get together and favor one of their "own" films in favor of an American or British production - which is ostensibly the point of the whole affair. This bylaw was much discussed last year when Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was perceived as "snubbed" by the Globes, when in fact it wasn't elligible for Best Picture Drama. Same thing for Amelie this year.

However it could have been nominated in the director or acting categories, and surely it was more deserving than forgettable fluff like Bandits and Legally Blonde. But, such is the weakness and built-in annoyance of Awards shows.

Yeah, very first thing when Amelie wasn't called that I thought was "Holden!". Instant reaction. Not having seen it, I can't say, but yeah -- I was assuming it'd be half decent.

I thought overall the night was rather good for Australians, and I don't just mean Moulin Rouge, I mean overall, they did quite well.

I was happy to hear anything to do with Moulin Rouge get called out and I wasn't at all suprised by anything else. I had my money on Altman [or Lynch], A Beautiful Mind, Crowe, Spacek, Hackman and most of the other majors, although I haven't seen half the film -- I was going mainly on what you guys were saying.

It was a relativley boring evening, but well worth it. I too am wondering the Oscars will be much different. I didn't enjoy Myers and Diaz's "bit" much and the only acceptance speech I quite enjoyed was Crowe's.

But then again, the Oscars are always much better.

I thought Amelie was the better movie, but No Man's Land is very good, and I suppose the Hollywood Foreign Press Association wanted to reinforce an anti-war message in these troubled times. Amelie has been SO successful in Europe (especially France), I'm sure it has reached the point of receiving backlash from many.

Personally, I am still completely & madly in love with Amelie.

Not that I've seen Iris, but Ian Mckellen should have gotten best supporting actor.

Russel Crowe completely deserved his award.

I don't think Beautiful Mind should have won best picture though.

Oh and does anyone else see a Sting overload coming?

He won at the last Oscars, at the Grammys, and now at the Golden Globes. Two of those aren't even music award shows.

I think he wins more because he's String than because of the music.

Basically he just has to win at the Emmy's and he's got the whole set. Well maybe he could win an Espy too for best Stadium Song....

Ol' Gordon "Sting" Sumner didn't win any Oscars last year (or ever). He was indeed nominated in 2001, for "My Funny Friend and Me" from The Emperor's New Groove, but Bob Dylan won the Best Original Song trophy for his "Things Have Changed" from Wonder Boys. Also, Sting has only been nominated for a Grammy for this same New Groove song, he hasn't won anything yet (unless you mean his non-movie related Grammy's for "She Walks This Earth" last year or "Brand New Day" two years ago?).

And whether you've seen Iris or not, Sir Ian McKellen wasn't even nominated for his Gandalf. Ben Kingsley (Sexy Beast)was the heavy favorite, with Steve Buscemi (Ghost World) second in the odds. Broadbent's win really was an upset and one of the few surprises.

I have nothing to contribute to this discussion of Sting, save for a Dana Carvey reference:

"The guy named himself a verb...present-tense! Because he's not Stung...and he's not Stinging...he's STING!"

He didn't win for that Funny Friend song? I thought he did, my mistake. He did perform it though.

As for The Grammy's, I wasn't referring to any particular year, he's won enough of them.

Still, I stand by my belief that he is headed for over exposure.

I felt kinda stupid to not moving Silver's thread here yesterday, but oh well, simply merged Silver's with Holden's (hope that's alright), so there ya have it.

I am pissed at the Globes for not giving Jackson an award for LOTR. Far better than A Beautiful Mind visually. As Holden said, they better recognize it for something at the Oscars, or there'll be hell to pay.

Russel Crowe looks set to be one of only a few to get back-to-back Best Actor Oscars. The others being Tom Hanks and [I think] Spencer Tracy. That's pretty damned good, even if he didn't deserve it last year.

I look forward to the Oscar's in great anticipation. I don't believe that we'll be shown exactly the same thing as we were with the Globes. I was happy with the majority of the results [except one really, that I didn't expect to see otherise, and even then I was happy with the result], but I'd like to see it all become a bit more daring come Oscar time -- and I think it might.

You have to remember that the awards are given by members of the field in which the award is given to [did thatmake ANY sense?]. Only directors will be looking at Best Director nominations. I would say that this might just give Peter Jackson a better chance than we may think.

And who wouldn't have loved to see him stad up and accept an award. He looked like he'd been sleeping in the tux for three days. I would have loved to see him make a speech!

No idea.

You know, I didn't think Harrison was really enjoying himself while he was watching the videos and stuff, but then when he got on stage I was thinking "He's bored.....wait....no....Is he going to cry?"

I think his acceptance speech was one of the better one's I've ever heard for such an award.

So gracious. So thankful. So short.

So humble.