Why do Actors/Actresses turn to singing?

Tools    

it's all random?

with the sea of competition, it's no wonder so many actors are super-attractive, multi-talented (sings, dance?), with perfect hair, and perfect physiques!

that can't be random. i know it's obvious.........duhhhhhhhhhn, ...... i just know that i could never do that kind of stuff- i gotta give em' credit for something.

why put yourself into such a hypercritical, supercompetitive, saturated career/industry- if not for the dreams of fame and forturne. i would rather live my little "peon" life out here, and miss out on the $5000 handbag, $300,000 diamond choker, the $25,000 a week condo vacation rental, etc. etc.

i like the random stories......like Harrison Ford being a construction worker in his mid-30's when he was "discovered".

Female assassin extraordinaire.
yaay, patti's here! good points, eh, thanks!

yeah, Harrison Ford was a carpenter wasn't he? or someone else like that. late in life, then got into movies.

it can be random, and i think it's more that they've always had a childhood dream and now that they have the werewithal to do it, they do it. but they may not have the TALENT required in that aspect. ie, girls usually growing up wanting to be great actresses AND singers. they may have mediocre acting talent, great looks, and no singing skills whatsoever. based off the mediocre acting talent and looks, they become ... badada - Sarah Michelle Gellar, or some such. then they decide - i am now able to pursue my singing dream! then, they run off and make an album.... and the horror begins ...

The Harrison Ford story, since it's come up, is this: he was a Los Angeles actor in the early sixties. The remnants of the old Studio System were still very much in place, which meant he was under contract. Columbia Pictures owned him (later his contract was sold to Universal), and they could use him as they saw fit for a stadanrd set wage of maybe a couple hundred dollars per week - a very paltry sum, even in 1961. They mostly used him on TV projects. If you watch old "Bonanza" or "Love, Amrican Style" episodes you'll seee him pop up in little one-shot guest spots. By the late 1960s he was sick of the system and quit.

Kind of by accident he lucked into a job as carpenter for the muscician Sergio Mendes, building a guest house I believe for his home on the Hollywood hills. Ford didn't even own his own tools, but he borrowed some and learned as he went. Mendes liked the end result, and soon Ford was working full-time as a carpenter all over Hollywood.

He had basically given up on acting, having soured so badly on it as a contract player. He did a couple walk-ons in the early '70s, but found he could still make much more money as a carpenter, and the work in front of the camera was still unfufilling. But that all changed in 1973 when a friend of his, Fred Roos, was casting for some kid named Lucas' second feature, American Graffiti, a hot rod movie being shot in northern California. Roos recommended him and all of the sudden the thirty-one-year-old Ford had a featured role in a movie. But what did it matter, as nobody was going to see this thing anyway, and it was still paying him less than carpentry. The movie was a surprise boxoffice smash, which got him noticed. More importantly, it also got him into the inner circle of Lucas and Coppola and the developing Zoetrope Studio. He did small parts in Coppola's The Conversation and Apocalypse Now when Lucas called him in again, this time to help audition actors for some space movie he was making.

And the rest, as they say, is history.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

eheheh ... cool! thanks for the info. i'd never have gotten up the motivation to go look for it so i'm glad somebody finally told my lazy @ss.

Hey Holden, do you write at all, like apart from around here? Not for papers or anything, not like that, but for independant movie websites (not meaning Indie, of course, just not corporate) or anything? Just for fun? You really do have quite a knack, a style and structure that is hard for others to reproduce. I refuse to believe that your full personality comes through in your writing, rather a carefully selected and concentrated area, which is a delight to read -- a style, structure and personality which has been simply perfected. Almost like the sarcastic and pompous voice of someone who knows a lot, but doesn't much care that he does.

It's probably the wrong place, but you're a pleasure to read. Your posts are some of the most enjoyable on the site.

I raise my hat.

I love Holden's posts, too, silver.....he is so clearly meant to write.
not only does he have style, but his knowledge base continually blows my mind.

what did i ever do to my brain to damage the fact "retention" function?
geez.......it was only a one-hit batto, once a night, for a couple years in college. ....to sleeeeep!!

anyway!, my hat's off to you, too, Holden.
we can say we knew him when....

and back to the Harrison Ford story.....i had heard it..... i saw him in a Biography, and i've read a couple of interviews.

which movie was it where he was the waiter, in a walk through, saying "paging mr. (somebody)........pagine mr. (somebody)" ??????

Now With Moveable Parts
Wanna hear something SO gross?!

Jennifer Love Hewitt is going to be the voice of the Hunchback in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame 2...and Hewitt is singing the soundtrack...BARF!!!!!! EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Originally posted by sadesdrk
Wanna hear something SO gross?!

Jennifer Love Hewitt is going to be the voice of the Hunchback in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame 2...and Hewitt is singing the soundtrack...BARF!!!!!! EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
Wanna hear something SO appropriate? Jennifer Love Hewitt is playing The Devil in The Devil and Daniel Webster.

Now With Moveable Parts
As long as it's not the "sexy-devil" thing, like Liz Hurley...that would just make me ill.

Hey, I liked Bedazzled.

"EMOTIONALLY sensitive!
I doubt it'll be quite that like. Maybe a little...but, well, this is based on a novel...and an older version of the film, I believe. I think the book is considered a bit of a classic. She's alongside Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins here. I think it'll be worth watching.

Now With Moveable Parts
Yeah. Worth watching Alec and Hopkins and making fun of Hewitt. Sounds good to me.

not just that, but be an actress. and star with vince vaughn. AND make an album!!!! and do a spread for playboy!! we know the truth sades. we know ... the truth.

The truth? We can't handle the truth!!

In fact the majority of the world can't yet handle the truth. We just aren't ready for Sades yet. Mainstream pop-culture would get the pop shocked out of it. There wouldn't be enough voltage in this world to bring it back into coherance.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
Can`t say I`m complaining.

Now With Moveable Parts
What's this...you all were whoopin' it up about me, and I wasn't even here!
Okay, you dug me out, Silver B. I long to be famous...and dine on expensive food, hob-nob with stars, kiss scores of leading men, win a couple of Oscars and cast shadows on all those hideous famous girlie girls that don't deserve to be famous! Britney...you are first you Slut-Beast from Space!

Nice flattery by the way, kids. Ego...can't...fit...through...door...

You're the kind of person who would be sipping something-or-other on the rocks at one moments and stabbing someone with stilettos in an alleyway the next.

It's terrorfying.

Now With Moveable Parts
Nice imagry...and insightful too. I've often thought of my heels as weapons of choice...Heh-Heh...

i'd have to bop them with the wide-edged waffle of my trail running shoe, only to be tracked down when they matched my tread to the imprint on my victim's forehead.
lucKILLy - me no killer.

Britney Spears doesn't rate a comment in my book.

and sades, my dear, don't you see how unfair of you it is to just leave us like that on some "she's here, she's not here" hiatus?
don't - do - that - again!