Will Movie Theaters be obsolete in the next 20 years??

Tools    

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
It's expensive to see a movie, even if you do buy your snacks at Walmart before hand . Gene Siskel once said something along the lines of; theaters will never die because teenagers need to get out of the house.

Nah. Kids have all that crap in their bedrooms, now. Plus, each of them is a little Buddha, so they rule the house, anyway. They barely need to leave their rooms, let alone the house.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I don't think that movie-theaters will face potential extinction at least for another fifty or so years, even if they do become obsolete, entirely because of the spectacle of "going to the movies," will never cease being somewhat special.

I don't think they'll die out. More and more films nowadays are being made for big screens.

You mean, they're not already obsolete? I haven't been to a theater in 15 years or more.

I do miss Drive-Ins, though. I think my generation (1950s and 60s), and the suceeding one (my kids) owe their entire existence to the Drive-Ins. Back then, the main Birth Control was a popcorn break........

Theaters absolutely need to up the ante a bit. It's just not economical. Also, someone said if you loved film then you will honour the filmmaker by going to the cinema to view their work. I agree with some of those principles, however, i think that if you LOVE movies you're going to find a way to watch them in comfort. watching movies is kind of a sacred thing for me. i like to be in my bed, with a beer, a snack and just hone in on the movie. that's my experience, that's what i love. also, when's the last time you listened to your favorite music artists record on studio reference monitors, or a bose system?

also, christopher nolan isn't a talentless hack. i don't know who said that and why but i completely disagree.

@ Gigmaster, Im with you. Im also from that generation of drive-ins. Sneaking guys in the trunk of your car, having fun and games with your current girl, playing Spotty on the screen with your spotlight (for you younger guys cars in those days had a movable spotlight attached to the door) But they arent around anymore, they have been torn down for shopping malls. I even saw one that was used as an auto wrecking yard. The few that are left they now use for swap meets.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
For me, movie theaters are already almost obsolete. They hardly ever have any films I want to see, and even if they did, with the degree with which I watch movies, I would be broke. I also think that while actually going to the cinema can provide unique experiences, to watch a film on a smaller, controlled scale is to test the film's quality.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I hope not. I mean yeah, it's always a crap shoot whether you see a movie with a quiet, respectful audience or a rude, obnoxious bunch of teenage idiots, but I like to go OUT sometimes. In a society that is slowly making it so we don't HAVE to leave our homes (you can get all your movies online, your music, almost every food place delivers now, etc...), I love that aspect of cinema. It's the experience. Films are also more epic on the big screen than they will ever be on your TV, no matter how large it is or how good your sound system may be...

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/