In The Bedroom
41.38%
12 votes
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
10.34%
3 votes
Moulin Rouge!
29 votes. You may not vote on this poll

which of the choices listed do u think should win best picture?
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Hope you don't mind me tidying the thread/poll up a bit. Anyone want this to turn into an official predictions thing for each award? See if the MoFos, as a unit, can predict the Oscars accurately?

Check out http://www.oscar.com
In their games and fun section they have a predication thing that you can do and keep updating it until the night before the awards.

It's be cool to recreate something like that.

Hmmm...a form where ya'll can enter your Oscar picks? I'm open to the idea. Anyone else second that emotion? Anyway, the poll results so far are interesting. 5 votes for LOTR: FOTR, and 2 votes for everything else. Surprisingly split.

I voted for In the Bedroom, which was my favorite out of the nominees. But if I had to wager on who I think would win, I'd pick Lord of the Rings, with a best director oscar for Ron Howard. I think the academy is dying to give him one. I think Lord of the Rings will win because it had the most nominations, and historically this is a good indication of what'll win.

Oh, so there's Steve. Hiya fella, it's me, the Sexy Celebrity.

Back on topic... I have not seen any of these movies yet but I also predict that The Lord of the Rings will win. I'm usually very psychic, so count on it! If not that, then it'll probably be In The Bedroom, which my mother is dying to see because of Sissy Spacek (I have her autograph, by the way. She signed it "Carrie").

S.C.

Ive voted for Fellowship as ive only actually seen two of these and have no interest whatsoever of seeing the others and i havent heard much about In The Bedroom at all.

The other was Moulin Rouge which was ok but, IMO, massively overrated with little on-screen chemistry and a quirky-at-best soundtrack.

LOTR: FOTR b/c it's so rare that Hollywood does a solid fantasy movie, let alone a good one. This movie had pretty much anything you can ask for, not to mention that I haven't seen everything on the list.

This is the movie that I think SHOULD win... not sure if I think it will though, too commercially successful which can sometimes be a kiss of death b/c that means it doesn't get the snob factor vote.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by filmfreak
The other was Moulin Rouge which was ok but, IMO, massively overrated with little on-screen chemistry and a quirky-at-best soundtrack.
little on-screen chemistry? Ooooooh...I don't know which version you were watching, but I'd have to admit that Ewan and Nichole looked to be lovers in every sense of the word.

Yeah. The love on screen was amazing.
Of course, I thought everything on screen was amazing.
But that's just me.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
Originally posted by sadesdrk
little on-screen chemistry? Ooooooh...I don't know which version you were watching, but I'd have to admit that Ewan and Nichole looked to be lovers in every sense of the word.
I don't think the chemistry was that good either. I would go as far as to say it was non-existant. I found all the characters unengaging and couldn't care less whether Nicole popped it or not. I like to be moved by films, this one did very little for me.

B&W
Screw this "on-screen chemistry" crap.
Moulin Rouge was simply a very unique movie that most people (I know) enjoyed much more than they thought they would.

I think a lot of the people are beginning to say they didn't like it just for the sake of saying that they didn't like it.

However, I do think Best Picture will go to Fellowship.
Hence my vote.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
can't say i'm in the same boat there, no one I know enjoyed it, I went with my lasse and she found it completely patronizing. each to their own. I don't like music videos, I don't like MTV and I'm not greatly into pop music, so as you can imagine this film didn't exactly do anything for me.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
I think a lot of the people are beginning to say they didn't like it just for the sake of saying that they didn't like it.
That's a bit of a silly thing to say ain't it?

If you like something you like it if you don't you don't - I would hope you've got enough sense to know what you enjoy

Of course I didn't say all people were saying they didn't like it for the sake of saying that they didn't like it.

I know people who enjoyed it, who say they didn't simply because other's have told them what they think. And because it's a musical. This is after they've seen it and enjoyed it.

What SHOULD win? In my opinion, Rings should. However, predicting the winner is a bit tougher. Among my movie buff friends, all of the 3 most knowledgable of them liked In the Bedroom the most. I think the same consensus might exist among the most knowledgable professional movie critics. But the Academy adds a public popularity ideology to their Oscar winner decision making mix, which ideology definately favors FOTR, beyond any doubt.

With all of that having been said, I would have to agree with most people that ABM and Rings seem to be the frontrunners. For now, I'll go with A Beautiful Mind for best picture, as I believe it possesses a very good combination of the things the Academy looks for. However, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if I change my mind before the end of the month and predict the Oscar for my favorite movie of the year, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

I don't see it winning, but I hope dearly that I'm wrong. Hopefully they'll want to capitalize on the fact that they've got a fabulous, yet also highly commercially successful and publicly praised film here...could be a win-win situation, where the snobby critics and lowly masses actually find a common ground. Perhaps I've just learned not to expect the best, though...so as not to be disapointed. It'd be awesome if it won. I hope you're right.

I don't know if it would be a good thing if Fellowship won.

Have you noticed the backlash that comes with winning the Best Pic Oscar for the last few years?

Everybody loved Gladiator when it came out but once it won best picture, it started to get some detractors. American Beauty was a critical and commercial wow. Many called it the best film of the 90s but once it won best picture, people started to shy away from all the hype. "It's not great" was the new consensus. Shakespeare in Love is a wonderful movie, one of the best movies of the 90s and yet it is reviled simply because many feel it robbed Saving Private Ryan of the best pic award. Even Titanic which was universally adored before March was sunk by its collection of awards and its director's awful egotism.

Fingers crossed that if LOTR does win, it doesn't suffer a backlash.