Interesting question about "A Simple Plan."

Tools    

I just got down watching my copy of A Simple Plan tonight, and noticed something I hadn't seen before (third time watching it). As the credits roll at the end, there is a character named Tom Butler, played by Jack Walsh, who gets the billing just before the sheriff, Carl.

Who the hell is he?

There is Bill Paxton's character, Bridget Fonda's character, Billy Bob Thornton's character, and Brent Brisco (who plays Lou). Those are the main characters. There is also Lou's wife, and Carl, the sheriff. Then there is the bad guy at the end, Gary Cole; and there is that Dwight guy that gets bumped off.

If this guy is a minor minor character, which he must be, then why would he get billing before the sheriff? Also, the credits were not shown in an "in order of appearance" fashion, so that leaves out that possibility.

I know this must sound overly trivial. But I'm just wondering, because this is starting to really get to me. Is there something I missed?

I was thinking that. I was thining that must be what it is.

But his boss didn't have one speaking line. in fact, he didn't mutter one word. He only had 3 2-second appearances.

Strange.

It is his boss at the feed store. He calls him Tom in the opening scene, under the credits.

As to why he has billing over Gary Cole, it could be just about anything. You'd have to ask Sam Raimi.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thanks.

I think that movie title is completely misleading "A Simple Plan" ends up being an extremely convoluted, complicated plan run by a bunch of idiots that is anything but simple!

Originally posted by AKA23
I think that movie title is completely misleading "A Simple Plan" ends up being an extremely convoluted, complicated plan run by a bunch of idiots that is anything but simple!
That's WHY its such a great title. Though I imagine your post was meant as sarcastic. In case ya'll don't know, I LOVE A Simple Plan. Excellent movie.