On-Screen Duo's That Work

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by Toose
Now I look dumb for posting a favorite. Spuds I'm gonna make some potato salad!
I changed the title to on screen duo's that work. That DOESN'T mean it has to be Male/Female Duo's
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
According to you.

Fine then.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i agree, it doesn't have to be male/female!

dude, i totally thought Sam was going to jump Frodo he looked at him with so much love. Like at the end, when they're alone, desparing, gonna go off to face the future ... Sam's face just totally said, "I LOVE YOU." Inside, it made me tear up a little, but outside, me and my friend made a crack at the movie. But it's a completely natural thing though, but in this day and age you just don't see men declaring their love for their fellow men like they used to in the old days.

Tim Roth and any female (he scares them into liking him)
Lauren Bacall and Bogey
Paul Newman and ... i can't believe I forgot his wife's name, but uh, yeah, her

Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant
Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers

Sifl (sp?) and Ollie
Beavis and Butthead (ahh, my start in irreverent wisecracking)

i'm sure more will come to mind

You're absolutely right, Miriam. Affection between men is impossible these days without someone screaming about homosexuality. I think that's why so many people are convinced that Frodo and Sam are gay. They're just people who can't see past their own time. I think it's inspirational, and no, I'm not in any way attracted to men. I don't think I should have to dance around it if I like spending time with them as very close friends, though. I don't look down on your for making a crack about it Miriam...but personally I could never bring myself to do that. That's the most moving part of the movie, IMO.

hey, i'm thrilled you liked the idea. and sades.......what an honor sistah!

i like Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas together......The War of The Roses, and that adventure flic- Romancing the Stone.

i like Holly Hunter and Richard Dreyfuss in Always- but i just fall into that movie, so it may or may not be a super strong pairing. Plus, Holly Hunter is just plain lovable.

I have never liked Katherine Hephburn, hard as i tried- but Cary Grant is awesome and works well with practically anyone. i especially liked him with Joan Fontaine in Suspicion, but again, it may just be the movie more than the pairing.

Jimmy Stewart is also surprisingly great with everyone he's paired with.- but in particular Kim Novak in Vertigo, and Grace Kelly in Rear Window.

Humphrey B ogart with Gloria Graham in In a Lonely Place- they shmoke.

Humphrey Bogart with Lauren Bacall- ooooh yaaaaah

Schmoke? Whachu bin schmokin Patti?

I liked Douglas and Stone in "Fatal Attraction"

Wish I was schmokin Shomething tonite , maybe I need a beer at least...

Originally posted by TWTCommish
I think it's inspirational, and no, I'm not in any way attracted to men.
Didn't you get like 40% on the how gay are you test? I'm just kidding TWT, I'm in a mood tonite... you know how I get. I am going to see LOTR on Sunday. I can't wait!!!

I'll let you know if I think they're getting it on

Female assassin extraordinaire.
weeeelll, Chris, it wasn't cracking at them for "gayness" it was for cheesiness. we crack at anything cheesy and heartfelt. then we take it a step further and pervert it. so, we saw Sam looking all wide-eyed and inspired, two hobbits with eyebrows furrowed and emotions stirring in their hearts and it was just ... cheesy. in any other film it'd be a failure but of course, this was a great film, so i bought it. but the "aware viewer" in me commented ... i said something, like "aww, shucks" and then my friend said, when Sam spoke, "Kiss me!" it was hilarious, but oh so wrong.

patti, i totally agree, i never liked Hepburn. She was more likeable, actually, later in life. Her earlier airhead, priviledged, getintheway of things persona got on my nerves. and that laugh! oh god, that laugh was godawful. she could be annoying as heck. but when she got feisty - Lauren Bacall feisty - with Cary, I loved it. prolly cuz i cared more about Cary's reaction (a man faced with such a woman is a sight to behold! hehehe ... confused, flabbergasted, amazed that she would DARE!! oh the joy) heheheh.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by patti
hey, i'm thrilled you liked the idea. and sades.......what an honor sistah!

Humphrey Bogart with Lauren Bacall- ooooh yaaaaah
Anytime sistah...you know me.

Lauren Bacall is sucha siren, man. I wish!

Thmilin, you should see Hephburn in a movie called Undercurrent- it's not rated so well, but i liked her in it. She marries Robert Taylor and he's a bit psycho- she plays the role of the devoted, trusting but gradually growing leary and terrified wife. i dug it.

John Cleese and Graham Chapman.
All of the Pythons were great together, but none quite like these two when they were at their finest together.

I am particurly drawing on such scenes as the delivery of a child in the opening sequence of "The Meaning of Life".

"...and the machine that goes "PING!"

Now With Moveable Parts
On screen duos that work: I thought Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt were great in Seven.

Samuel L. Jackson and Yoda, worked particulally well together. How did Samuel L. keep from grabbing Yoda and sqeezing him? I sure don't know...ah, the chemestry. Yoda is such a giving actor...he really lights up any scene with those eyes...

Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

and i thought putting Marilyn Monroe together with Sir Laurence Olivier worked well, in The Prince and The Showgirl- precisely because they are so different. i remember hearing that he almost despised her; felt she was talentless and that it was an insult to be sharing top billing with her.