Live Action Musical Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Marilyn Manson did a persona based on the Child Catcher.

Ha! that's pretty funny story. One time in college, I had some Creative Thinking class, I'm not even sure what we were suppose to learn...anyway the instructor thought we should watch a movie and discuss it, so I said how about A Clockwork Orange. So we watch it..and geez! you should have heard the groans from the kids in the class I don't think any of them liked it.
\

Count me in as one who had nightmares about the Childcatcher.

Into the Woods

Finished this up today.

I’m still not quite sure what to make of this. It seemed to be a bit of a mess of a film in many ways, but I didn’t completely dislike it. I don’t know how the movie version compares to the stage version, but I remember seeing a few complaints about it when it first came out, some saying it was too dark, others that it wasn’t dark enough.

A bit of a mixed bag, but definitely not all bad.
I can definitely understand your confusion about this movie...the thing is that Into the Woods is really a stage musical that should have stayed there. Here's a link to the stage version if you're interested:

So glad you enjoyed The Pajama Game, Citizen...it's absolutely superb and inexplicably died at the box office during its original release. I know you love Doris Day so I knew that I would clinch it for you, and this was one of her best performances. I also agree with you regarding John Raitt and now that you mention it, Howard Keel would have made a great set, his chemistry with Day having already been proven with Calamity Jane.
Keel and Day were awesome in Calamity Jane, which is one of my all time favorite musicals. I've liked Howard Keel in every musical I've seen him in. I should be watching Mary Poppins next. A movie that I've only seen once before. Should be a real treat.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I love "Posh" too...flawlessly performed by Lionel Jeffries, but was never that keen on The Roses of Success...I think it brings the film to a dead halt. If the truth be told, my favorite musical moment in the film is "Doll on a Music/Truly Scrumptious".
Doll on a Music Box/Truly Scrumptious is a lovely lil number. The two of them played off one another very well in that one.

When I was a kid I felt the same way about Roses, but as an adult, I get it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I have to disagree with that. I don't like baseball but I really liked Damn Yankees. I don't like country western music, yet I like all of the musical artist bio pics on country western singers. I don't think the subject matter is as important as if the movie is entertaining or not.
I love Damn Yankees...it was the first musical I appeared in when I was in high school...that show was SO much fun, love the score.

I'm glad to see that some people here have already seen and like Damn Yankees. I never hear anyone talk about it, so I thought I was the only one here who had ever seen it.

At least I didn't pick something else because it was a baseball movie. I would have nominated it, but I just couldn't seem to find it available anywhere, and I didn't want everyone having a hard time finding my nom, so I chose a different movie.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

I remember exactly how I felt about this as a child, that it was a curious mixture of almost embarrassing silliness and fun. I think it was probably one of the first movies I saw that I would characterise as a guilty pleasure - I knew it wasn’t in the slightest bit cool, but I secretly enjoyed it anyway.

As an adult, I feel, well, exactly the same. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is not cool. It’s fantastical, far too long and corny as anything, plus it has a terrible title, but it’s still a lot of fun. I like the weird inventions and the period costumes and locations. The child catcher is still a bit creepy - possibly even creepier.

It’s not a personal favourite, but it is a classic children’s adventure, with a good writing pedigree that includes Ian Fleming and Roald Dahl on the credits.

Beyond the title track and the sugary Truly Scrumptious, the songs are not as memorable as, say, the ones in Mary Poppins, and perhaps this is where it falls down a little. And it does have its corny side which makes it hard to take as seriously as some of the other contenders.

I disagree about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang being "not cool". It's a fantasy adventure about a flying car. That's awesome. Plus it has candy that whistles, a cool Grandpa, a castle in a land without children, a creepy child-catcher, Benny Hill as a toymaker, and Dick Van Dyke.

How is that "not cool"?

Swing Time

This movie started off kind of slow, but as soon as Fred Astaire got to New York, it picked up quickly, and just kept up the pace from there.

I love watching Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dance together, and my favorite scene was the scene with the song "Pick Yourself Up", from him showing her that he can't dance, all the way through to the dance scene to get her job back.

I also like the scene in the snow when they sing "A Fine Romance". They don't really get to show off their dancing skills in that scene, but it's a cute scene.

I don't really get the whole "black face" thing, but the "Bojangles of Harlem" dance scene is pretty impressive, with Fred Astaire dancing in front of several shadows.

This was a fun movie, and a great nomination.

Meet Me In St. Louis

This is a good movie with some great songs. Judy Garland and the rest of the cast are wonderful.

I loved the song "The Boy Next Door", but while we were watching Judy Garland staring out her window while she was singing it, it would have been nice if there was an occasional cut to let us see the boy that she was singing about too.

The two highlights of the movie are "The Trolley Song" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".

The only part of the movie that I didn't care much for was the Halloween scene. The kids were doing things that were not only stupid, but also dangerous, and the adults just didn't seem to care. And even worse was when they found out what happened, instead of punishing the kid for doing something that could have killed people, they rewarded her with ice cream and cake.

I would have also liked to see a little bit more of the romances, rather than just the girls talking about the boys so much, but it all worked out in the end.

Overall, this was another great nomination.

Do you agree with me about the ending gbg or did you like it? Not the last scene i mean
WARNING: "meet me in st louis" spoilers below
the dad deciding not to go to New York and Rose getting her proposal
. That was the only part i didn't like, felt very abrupt and corny christmas special-y to me. I'd have rather it ended with Garland looking out the window singing "Have Yourself a Merry Christmas" not sure what will come next.

How you guys doing? I'm planning on watching West Side Story this weekend. I saw it long time ago but don't remember much of it. Do you guys like Forman's Hair. I saw it probably 20 times and went for a stage vesion too. I wonder why did I forget about this. And I love Dirty Dancing too, just wasn't sure if it is a musical.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I PM'd Citizen about this, but I thought I would mention here that I re-watched 1776 over the weekend and the print I watched actually included a number that was cut during the film's original release, a song called "Cool, Considerate Men", which was freaking brilliant. A richly unique musical experience that just gets better every time I watch it...the movie is almost 3 hours long but never felt it.
Was this your first time seeing that film with that number back in it?

I've liked Howard Keel in every musical I've seen him in
And you want to know something? I thought you didn't like the man. Honestly. I thought I read that somewhere.

I just have my rewatches of 1776 and West Side Story and I am done. I may do that this weekend. Not sure yet. And as this is your first time experiencing a HoF with me, you will know that after I watch those I will go crazy posting my thoughts about all the films.

Do you guys like Forman's Hair. I saw it probably 20 times and went for a stage vesion too. I wonder why did I forget about this.
I was disappointed in the film. I owned the cast recording for years before I ever saw the movie. I don't know if I didn't like the story, or if I didn't like the way the songs were performed, but it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Whereas, I was definitely NOT disappointed in the stage production that I saw. I absolutely loved it (although I did feel it was one of the most depressing musicals that I'd ever seen). Do you prefer the film version over the stage version that you saw?

And you want to know something? I thought you didn't like the man. Honestly. I thought I read that somewhere.

I just have my rewatches of 1776 and West Side Story and I am done. I may do that this weekend. Not sure yet. And as this is your first time experiencing a HoF with me, you will know that after I watch those I will go crazy posting my thoughts about all the films.

I was disappointed in the film. I owned the cast recording for years before I ever saw the movie. I don't know if I didn't like the story, or if I didn't like the way the songs were performed, but it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Whereas, I was definitely NOT disappointed in the stage production that I saw. I absolutely loved it (although I did feel it was one of the most depressing musicals that I'd ever seen). Do you prefer the film version over the stage version that you saw?
well, it's hard to say because the stage stage version was mognificent however definitely only one-time life experience, i mean i wouldn't go again paying for it (maybe only on Broadway) and the cast changed since i saw it on stage so you cannot really tie to anyone in particular. in the movie, instead, i can forever enjoy the old bunch as they never change. So, all in all i prefer the film version. Punto!

Yes, I had never seen "Cool Considerate Men"...if it weren't for the fact that I owned the OBC album, I never would have known about the number.

How you guys doing? I'm planning on watching West Side Story this weekend. I saw it long time ago but don't remember much of it. Do you guys like Forman's Hair. I saw it probably 20 times and went for a stage vesion too. I wonder why did I forget about this. And I love Dirty Dancing too, just wasn't sure if it is a musical.
Personally, I love the film version of Hair...it has a more coherent story than the stage show and I loved Treat Williams, John Savage and Twyla Tharp's choreography.

I disagree about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang being "not cool". It's a fantasy adventure about a flying car. That's awesome. Plus it has candy that whistles, a cool Grandpa, a castle in a land without children, a creepy child-catcher, Benny Hill as a toymaker, and Dick Van Dyke.

How is that "not cool"?
No argument regarding the score...even if it's the same composing team who wrote the score for Mary Poppins.

Swing Time

I also like the scene in the snow when they sing "A Fine Romance". They don't really get to show off their dancing skills in that scene, but it's a cute scene.
A Fine Romance was amazing song and scene. When Ginger starts to sing, it is so powerful. She's so lovely. I'm glad you like it gbg

How you guys doing? I'm planning on watching West Side Story this weekend. I saw it long time ago but don't remember much of it.
I just today picked up the DVD of West Side Story from my library, it came in this huge case! It must have several DVDs in there, I haven't opened it up yet. Guess who will be watching all those DVD extras...

Do you guys watch your movies on DVD? If so do you watch the extra features on the disc?

Do you guys like Forman's Hair.
I seen that and thought you were talking about the hair do on one of the Godspell people OK, I figured it out, Hair...the movie. I seen once like decades ago. I wish it had been nominated.

[quote=SilentVamp;1674966]

And you want to know something? I thought you didn't like the man [Howard Keel]. Honestly. I thought I read that somewhere. Oh I've talked about Howard Keel all the time, I probably said he should be the lead in all the musicals...

Last movie I seen him in was Kismet (1955)...anyone like that musical?