The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Though, I do think I've heard it mentioned somewhere that E.T. represents Jesus Christ.

I was a bit underwhelmed with Stalker, though who knows a rewatch might help it. I remember watching E.T. in the drive-in as a kid, but it's never been a favorite. It's got some iconic moments, but then it has things like the climatic scene and it's clear no one is trusting the audience to be on the right page without a ridiculously melodramatic John Williams score to tell us how to feel.

I'm going to have at least nine from my list in the top twenty. There's a tenth that could show up, but I'm going to be really shocked it made the top twenty. But I suppose I'll be more shocked it doesn't make the list at all.

Wow, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial just missed out on making the Top 20, which kind of surprises me. But I'm glad to see it make it. I knew nothing about Stalker, except having seen the poster. Needless to say about that one, didn't make it. Anyway, E.T., when I first saw it was good in my opinion, but every time I see it, even to this day, I love it more. Classic greatness.

Oh, mark f, a little more trivia about that sequence with Elliott at school---the teacher whose face we never see was played by Harrison Ford, according to Spielberg.

My list so far:
List so far:
#3 The Day the Earth Stood Still .39
#4 Forbidden Planet .38
#8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers .46
#12 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial .21
#15 The Road Warrior .31
#17 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan .35
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71
#24 RoboCop .28
#25 The Fifth Element .34

Just as with cricket, I had E.T. at #9 on my list. Amazing magical film - and still to this day imo.

I saw more than half of Stalker and actually liked what I saw a whole lot. Might turn out to be my favourite Tarkovski whenever I get around a full watch...

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Back To The Future the ride was great. Loved the Men In Black one too. Both better films that were eligible for this list coincidentally
These were both great, as was Twister.

I wonder if we'll see Matrix show up. I was sure people would vote for it, as it was quite an achievement at the time, but is it frankly top-20 material?

Oh, mark f, a little more trivia about that sequence with Elliott at school---the teacher whose face we never see was played by Harrison Ford, according to Spielberg.
A year after he was Indiana Jones for Spielberg in Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ford played the school principal, in an uncredited cameo, where he was only shot from the back. But the two brief scenes (after the chaos of the frog liberation) were cut and never appeared in the movie.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thanks for that, Holden. I've never seen that, of course now I know why. But I'd swear that when you hear the teacher talking in the "frog liberation" scene and saying, "I'll handle this. I can handle this!" that it sounds just like Harrison Ford. I wonder if, since his principal role was cut, Spielberg asked him to throw in his voice for that little bit?

I had Stalker at #2. One of my favourite films of all-time.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Everyone who loves E.T. seems to say the same thing, they first fell in love with it as a kid. Is there anybody here who loves E.T. and seen it for the first time as an adult?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I don't think I necessarily loved it as a kid. The last time I saw it I was blown away though. Of course, there was a tiny bit of the nostalgia factor. Nostalgia seems to reign supreme in 80s films.

Everyone who loves E.T. seems to say the same thing, they first fell in love with it as a kid. Is there anybody here who loves E.T. and seen it for the first time as an adult?
An ex of mine didn't see it until she was 18 and it was her favourite film. Even though i don't like it and didn't as a kid i can understand it, if it appeals to you as a kid it always will and it's a family film in the strictest sense as it is really made for both kids and adults.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
If you consider me an adult... I was 26 when it came out. Everybody I knew at the time pretty much loved it, including my mom.

If you consider me an adult... I was 26 when it came out. Everybody I knew at the time pretty much loved it, including my mom.
I will speak for my parents. We saw it in the theater three times. My mom and dad never took us to a movie more than once. Didn't even go to most once. E.T. was a phenomenon for sure.