The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Another two that made my list. Both Ex Machina and Moon were great because they didn't rely on huge budgets or big celebrities. They were both relatively cheap to make with an under the radar cast. The movies establish and build on an idea instead of simply providing a visual spectacle and hoping the "event" is enough to wow viewers. It makes for a much more compelling experience.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
I liked it, but to be honest, I don't get the hype.
Did you watch Automata?

Did you watch Automata?
I did. I can't really remember it fully, but I recall liking it.

Have seen neither entries, so they didn't make my list, but I do want to see them. Sam Rockwell is one of my favorite actors so I'm torn as whether to outright buy Moon or wait until it airs on one of my cable channels someday. Ex Machina looks pretty good, and it has the beautiful Alicia Vikander in it, so I do want to see it.

My list so far:
List so far:
#3 The Day the Earth Stood Still .39
#4 Forbidden Planet .38
#8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers .46
#15 The Road Warrior .31
#17 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71
#25 The Fifth Element .34

Welcome to the human race...
I did get the point, hence why I said if he had made an ugly midget he would have failed. Way too hammered.
This is some straight-up "why don't they fly the eagles to Mordor?" nonsense.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I strongly considered both Ex Machina and Moon for my list, but unfortunately they were both cut from my final list. I'm glad to see they both made the countdown anyway.

Seen: 58-1/2 out of 72
My list: 6 so far

4) The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
6) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
13) The Avengers (2012)
16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

RoboCop

This film by far has been on the most lists so far in the countdown with a whooping 23! That's 6 more lists that the previous best (which was 17 lists held by both Moon and Ex Machina).

Layout: 2nd, 6th, 11th, 13th, 14th (x3), 15th (x2), 18th (x2), 19th, 20th (x3), 21st (x4), 22nd, 23rd, 24th (x2)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Humorously, this film was on less than half the amount lists than RoboCop, but still received one more point.

Layout: 2nd (x3), 3rd, 4th, 7th, 9th (x2), 10th, 17th, 18th

Welcome to the human race...
RoboCop was my #13. It took a while to warm up (and isn't even my favourite Verhoeven) but it is pretty much undeniable (albeit not as good as Brazil).

Eternal Sunshine is a fine film and all, but I've never really felt the strong love for it that so many others seem to have and so I didn't vote for it.

Robo!!!!!!!

Had RoboCop in 2nd place

My List: 11/25
Seen: 68/74

24. Interstellar - 43rd
23. Logan’s Run - 71st
22. Galaxy Quest - 88th
20. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978) - 58th
16. Silent Running (1972) - 86th
14. Sunshine (2007) - 52nd
13. Event Horizon (1997) - 93rd
11. Independence Day - 40th
06. Dredd (2012) - 96th
05. Moon (2009) - 29th
02. RoboCop (1987) - 28th

I did not put RoboCop on my list, Citizens, but obviously it's a classic. However, Charlie Kaufman's funky and wonderful Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was definitely on my list. All the way at number three! Which is about on a par with a night of heavy drinking. The power of love and the often more powerful feelings of loss and despair when that love fades are put through the sci-fi wringer in Kaufman's clever and bizarre and funny and bittersweet memory-erasing dream/nightmare opus, which has melded with my own soul. Not just because it is such an inventive ride but because I so identify with the message at its core: the highest highs we experience when we are in love are so magnificent that we would choose to live them again, even knowing that it will end in pain. Or at least, that's how Charlie Kaufman, Joel Barish, and I feel about it. And if it's a self destructive pattern, so be it. Because what a way to go.

MY LIST
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#27)
8. Moon (#29)
11. Brazil (#32)
13. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1956 (#46)
16. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1978 (#58)
18. The Hidden (#82)
20. Ghostbusters (#57)
23. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
25. Safety Not Guaranteed (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Didn't have either on my list - Robocop is definitely fun but it's not one I feel compelled to revisit and I've never seen Eternal Sunshine.

Faildictions:
26. The Invisible Man (1933)
25. Westworld (1973)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an incredibly beautiful and unique film. Holden Pike described it perfectly in his post so I won't say much more about it. It's been among my top ten all-time favorite movies for a long while now and I had it at #2 on my ballot.

I know I've seen Robocop, but I barely remember anything about it.

My Ballot:
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Wreck-it Ralph
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
8. Demolition Man
9. The Fifth Element
12. Signs
13. The Road Warrior
14. The Incredibles
21. Dark City
25. Caveman

Robocop is alot of fun. I haven't seen it in about five years or it could have made my list. Not a fan of Eternal Sunshine. Don't dislike it but i've seen it twice and it doesn't do much for me.

Talking of RoboCop, don't forget there's now a Verhoeven Club on MoFo

Doing movie of the month kinda thing with it... first up is Hollow Man, but RoboCop is on the agenda as well.

RoboCop is a long time favorite of mine, and it was my #6. Great action and satire, so brutal and funny. I was 16 when I saw it at the movies, and about a year later when I hit my first Canadian strip joint, all I could say was "I'll buy that for a dollar!"

I saw Eternal Sunshine just once many years ago and it was just ok for me. I plan on trying it again.

My list-

#2 Strange Days (81st)
#6 RoboCop (28th)
#8 28 Days Later (85th)
#12 The Hidden (82nd)
#20 Seconds (84th)
#21 Donnie Darko (83rd)
#22 Interstellar (43rd)
#23 Ex-Machina (30th)
#25 They Live (45th)

As much as I admire Starship Troopers, I'm not bonkers for RoboCop, it just doesn't seem on the same level as Verhoven's Starship Troopers. It was only OK the one time I seen it. Though Peter Weller rocks just about any role he's in.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I know that I've seen this, but can't remember anything at all about it. I'll have to watch it again sometime.