The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

@Little Devil : maybe because you didn't get the point of Ex-Machina?

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
The protagonist failed the Turing test. The machine had this escape idea planted in her (or its) brain, and she/it will try any "algorithm" available to achieve it, even by seducing the protagonist. Along the way, we, the audience, sometimes are not sure of its motivation either. We might as well think that the machine can love us. There was no "possible love story", it was only a CPU process, and in that aspect, the machine won over the human being.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
@Little Devil : maybe because you didn't get the point of Ex-Machina?

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
The protagonist failed the Turing test. The machine had this escape idea planted in her (or its) brain, and she/it will try any "algorithm" available to achieve it, even by seducing the protagonist. Along the way, we, the audience, sometimes are not sure of its motivation either. We might as well think that the machine can love us. There was no "possible love story", it was only a CPU process, and in that aspect, the machine won over the human being.
I did get the point, hence why I said if he had made an ugly midget he would have failed. Way too hammered.

I did get the point, hence why I said if he had made an ugly midget he would have failed. Way too hammered.
Damn you drunks! So early on a Sunday.....

Ex Machina and Arrival are both great and would easily make my list of best of the 21st Century, thus far. But for an all-time top twenty-five, there simply wasn't room. Moon, on the other hand, is the first from my top ten to make the countdown (my number eight pick). Anchored by a tour de force performance by Sam Rockwell, one of my favorite actors who somehow remains perpetually underrated and underused, I have been championing this great movie since I saw it theatrically. Didn't make much of a dent culturally or popularity wise then, but I am very happy to see the momentum and reputation is has been building ever since.

I have three more 21st Century films in my top ten, and I find the overall quality of filmmaker and screenwriters working in the genre now, coinciding with the advances in filmmaking technology and special effects that are more fully realizing these concepts, incredibly encouraging.

Of my remaining seventeen titles, only one is absolutely not going to show (a very recent movie), and there's one other that is on the bubble (an oldie), but the other fifteen will be all be included in the collective top twenty-eight, most of them in the top twenty, I would expect.

MY LIST
8. Moon (#29)
11. Brazil (#32)
13. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1956 (#46)
16. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1978 (#58)
18. The Hidden (#82)
20. Ghostbusters (#57)
23. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
25. Safety Not Guaranteed (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Moon was directed by Duncan Jones, who directed my #1 film, Source Code, but they are polar opposite movies to me. I don't think I even finished watching Moon, which you could say was bad of me... but... I was bored. And a little tired of the smiley faced Kevin Spacey robot.

I heard how it ended, which seemed kinda interesting, but still.

Time to catch up again. Damn my crap work schedule. I LOVE The Road Warrior and is one of my all time favorite films. I had it at #7. I have seen Brazil, I think it is great, but I did not vote for it. I did see Ex Machina and really liked it, but I had to cut it from my top 25. I have not seen Moon yet, but it is on my to watch list.

3. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
4. The Avengers (2012)
7. The Road Warrior (1981)
15. Return of the Jedi (1983)
16. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
18. Gravity (2013)
20. Escape from New York (1981)
21. Independence Day (1996)

My List: 9
Seen: 53/72

Hey - the two Duncan Jones directed movies are #92 (Source Code) and #29 (Moon).

Flipped numbers for both.

I've never done this before, but here's how my list should break down:

1. Top 10
2. Will make the list
3. Metropolis (Fritz Lang - 1927)
4. Will make the list
5. Brazil (Terry Gilliam - 1985)
6. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Don Siegel - 1956)
7. Top 10
8. It had little chance, but I was hopeful
9. World on a Wire (Rainer Werner Fassbinder - 1973)
10. Will make the list
11. Forbidden Planet (Fred M. Wilcox - 1956)
12. Will make the list
13. Will make the list
14. Will make the list
15. I think it’ll make the list, but surprised it’s this high
16. Should have made the list, but won’t (What’s wrong with you people?)
17. Moon (Duncan Jones - 2009)
18. Will make it
19. Top 10
20. Had very little chance
21. A little surprised it didn’t make it, but has no chance now
22. Logan’s Run (Michael Anderson - 1976)
23. Had almost no chance
24. I thought it was a lock, but looks like it missed the cut
25. Ghost in the Shell (Mamoru Oshii - 1995)

So it looks like six of mine for sure won't show and a seventh I'm still not sure about.

Another film from my list! And yet I'm still not completely sure which of the films on my list will make it.

My list so far, with predictions:
1. Top 5
2. Top 10
3. Contact (#49)
4. Top 20
5. Interstellar (#43)
6. Will probably make it, but may not
7. May or may not make it
8. Top 28
9. Ex Machina (#30)
10. Will probably make it, but may not
11. Avatar (#80)
12. Top 5
13. Top 10
14. Won't make it
15. Dune (#99)
16. Will probably make it, but may not
17. Won't make it
18. Won't make it
19. Metropolis (#36)
20. Won't make it
21. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (#35)
22. Gattaca (#51)
23. Serenity (#59)
24. Strange Days (#81)
25. Earthbound (one-pointer)

I haven't seen Ex Machina yet. Obtaining now... Must. Have. 100%.
I liked it, but to be honest, I don't get the hype.