The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Seen: 64/70
My List: 9/25

I have hope though for the rest of my list, save for 2 of them. So that'll be 14 of mine making the Top 30. I hope anyways.

100. Looper

99. Dune

98. The Incredibles

97. Another Earth - Not Seen
96. Dredd - My #06

95. Altered States - Not Seen
94. The Truman Show

93. Event Horizon - My #13

92. Source Code

91. The Man from Earth

90. War of the Worlds

89. Wreck it Ralph

88. Galaxy Quest - My #22

87. Back to the Future III

86. Silent Running - My #16

85. 28 Days Later

84. Seconds - Not Seen
83. Donnie Darko

82. The Hidden - Not Seen
81. Strange Days - Not Seen

80. Avatar

79. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

78. Escape from New York

77. Guardians of the Galaxy

76. Signs

75. La Jetee

74. Fantastic Planet

73. World on the Wire - Not Seen
72. The Prestige

71. Logan’s Run - My #23

70. Snowpiercer

69. The Time Machine (1960)

68. Demolition Man

67. Battle Royale

66. Edge Of Tomorrow

65. District 9

64. Ghost In The Shell

63. Minority Report

62. The Avengers

61. Men In Black

60. The Martian

59. Serenity

58. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers - My #20

57. Ghostbusters

56. Predestination

55. Akira

54. Starship Troopers

53. Videodrome

52. Sunshine - My #14

51. Gattaca

50. The Iron Giant

49. Contact

48. Dark City

47. Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi

46. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (Original)

45. They Live

44. Primer

43. Interstellar - My #24

42. Back To The Future Part 2

41. Gravity

40. Independence Day - My #11

39. The Day The Earth Stood Still

38. Forbidden Planet

37. Mad Max: Fury Road

36. Metropolis

35. Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan

34. The Fifth Element

33. Arrival

32. Brazil

31. The Road Warrior

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Brazil for one of the HoFs here, and it was okay, but a bit too weird for me.

I tried watching The Road Warrior when it was nominated in a HoF (that I didn't join), but I just couldn't get into the movie. I even tried watching the first Mad Max movie because I thought maybe I missed something important that I needed to know for the second movie, but it was clear that these just aren't my type of movies.

Seen: 56-1/2 out of 70
My list: 6 so far

4) The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
6) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
13) The Avengers (2012)
16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

EDIT: Nope, I wanted to echo what many have said about your work on the list---you've done a stellar job (no Sci-Fi joke intended ) and I appreciate it very much. This is a fun list.

Aside from a slight ear twitch that gif makes it look like the dog is dead and has been stuffed!
JayDee, I loved that about that dog. In the scene where Max is eating dog food up on the hill above the refinery, the dog rolls over on his side with his paws off the ground but tucked close to his body. He doesn't movie a tic for the longest time while watching Max eat. Then I think he blinked. But that was one well-trained dog. I think somebody either here or maybe on Letterboxd said that he was "retired" after this movie and went on to live on a cattle ranch for many, many more years. I just hated his fate in the movie. If I see a movie that's either starring or co-starring a dog, I usually avoid them because I just know how things are going to end up for the dog.

Nope, Mark f, and Citizen, nice reviews of The Road Warrior, all of you!

I love Brazil, along with almost all of Terry Gilliam's films, but didn't list it. Yet, no, never mind, never mind! However, I have The Road Warrior at #15. I like it above any of the other Mad Max films. I love them all, but The Road Warrior is the best for me. From the opening narration/flashbacks I'm totally hooked all the way. I've just picked up this one and Fury Road on Blu-Ray and cannot wait to see them in all their pristine glory.

My list so far:
List so far:
#3 The Day the Earth Stood Still .39
#4 Forbidden Planet .38
#8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers .46
#15 The Road Warrior .31
#17 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71
#25 The Fifth Element .34

I like Brazil but didn't consider it for my list, didn't consider The Road Warrior either as I'm not much of a fan of the original MM series.

Faildictions:

30. Predator (1987)
29. I, Robot (2004)

Gilliam's masterpiece Brazil was number eleven on my list. As an overall film it would place higher, but in genre terms the dystopian satire doesn't push enough hardcore Sci-Fi buttons for me to quite pop in my top ten. At the same time it is too amazing a flick not to include it at all, so I gave it fifteen points.

That makes six of mine.

MY LIST
11. Brazil (#32)
13. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1956 (#46)
16. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1978 (#58)
18. The Hidden (#82)
20. Ghostbusters (#57)
23. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
25. Safety Not Guaranteed (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I watched Brazil on a borrowed DVD, finished half of it, then was occupy with something else and didn't feel too eager to return to the movie before the borrowing deadline. But I like the look of it.

Haven't watched The Road Warrior, but intend to very soon, if I can find it somewhere. I love that gif of Max and the dog. The dog seems to be the more sober and more mature one between the two in the gif.

Does anyone think they can guess all of the films in the top 30?
2001: A Space Odyssey
12 Monkeys
A Boy and His Dog
A Force Awakens (Star Wars)
Alien
Aliens
Back to the Future
Blade Runner
Children of Men
A Clockwork Orange
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Empire Strikes Back(Star Wars)
E.T.
Ex Machina
The Fly
Inception
Jurassic Park
Matrix
Moon
Planet of the Apes
Predator
Robocop
Sleeper
Soylent Green
Star Wars
Terminator
Terminator 2
The Thing
Total Recall
Wall:E

Both of these films were on my list. The Road Warrior is one of my favourite films ever, so it's nice to see a lot of love for it here.

Despite that, however, I placed it fairly low on my list - all the way down at #21. The Road Warrior and Strange Days were the two films I included that had the least overt sci-fi elements, so I couldn't really justify placing them higher than a lot of other great sci-fi films. While I was perfectly happy with Strange Days' placing, I did feel a little bad about not giving more points to The Road Warrior. It would've been in the top 3 if I wasn't also judging it based on what I consider to be sci-fi.

Brazil was on my list at #10. I absolutely love the visuals in that film. The plot was a bit messy at times (particularly towards the end), but the satire was well done. It's highly imaginative, and manages to hit a lot of the right notes for me.

Seen: 59/70
My List: 14

01. Dredd (2012) - #96
02. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #66
03. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - #35
04. The Martian (2015) - #60
08. Metropolis (1927) - #36
09. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #88
10. Brazil (1985) - #32
11. Dark City (1998) - #48
16. Videodrome (1983) - #53
18. Forbidden Planet (1956) - #38
19. Arrival (2016) - #33
21. The Road Warrior (1981) - #31
22. Strange Days (1995) - #81
25. Primer (2004) - #44

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Ex Machina

Wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 2nd, 4th, 6th, 9th (x2), 10th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 17th (x2), 20th, 22nd, 23rd (x3), 24th

Moon

The first 200 pointer!

Layout: 2nd, 4th (x2), 5th, 7th, 8th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 21st, 22nd, 24th (x2), 25th

Both Ex Machina and Moon were on my list, a shame neither are higher.

Faildictions:
28. Back To The Future (1985)
27. Aliens (1986)

I was never interested in Moon before but I watched it for this countdown. I liked it a bit but I think it's a little high.

I thought Ex Machina was very cool and I voted for it, but I think it is also a little high.

My list-

#2 Strange Days (81st)
#8 28 Days Later (85th)
#12 The Hidden (82nd)
#20 Seconds (84th)
#21 Donnie Darko (83rd)
#22 Interstellar (43rd)
#23 Ex-Machina (30th)
#25 They Live (45th)

I think I'll have 5 or 6 that don't make it. I originally thought I'd only have 1 not make it.

YAAYY!!!!!!
Moon was my #5!!!!
10 from my list now.

24. Interstellar - 43rd
23. Logan’s Run - 71st
22. Galaxy Quest - 88th
20. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978) - 58th
16. Silent Running (1972) - 86th
14. Sunshine (2007) - 52nd
13. Event Horizon (1997) - 93rd
11. Independence Day - 40th
06. Dredd (2012) - 96th
05. Moon (2009) - 29th

Review #229, Movie #300
Moon

Year Of Release

Director/s

Duncan Jones

Producer/s

Stuart Fenegan, Trudie Styler

Writer/s

Nathan Parker, Duncan Jones

Cast

Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey

Notes
Duncan Jones was originally a Commercial Director for French Connection Clothing, and had also worked as a cameraman at his Father's (David Bowie) Birthday Party... Moon was his first full length feature and won 9 of the 15 awards he was nominated for.

Synopsis:
Lunar Industries in the year 2035 are the leading supplier of clean and renewable energy... they scour the Moon's surface using automated machines, collecting Helium-3 which the Moon has a bountiful supply of, and then they ship it back to Earth.

Involved in the process is a one man workforce, Sam Bell, who keeps an eye on the machines, does some handiwork and repairs when needed and keeps the Moon Base in order. Alongside Sam, is GERTY, an A.I droid/computer that assists Sam, keeps him safe and sane (something to talk to).

When Sam has an accident though... an extremely disturbing secret is revealed about Sam's purpose, life and very existence.

Review:
One of the best films of 2009?... nope... one of the best films of the 2000s...

Moon is basically an acting lesson, a choreography lesson and a writing/screenplay lesson for all budding movie makers.

There's not a great deal happens in the first chunk of the film, we get to meet Sam and GERTY, learn their relationship, Sam's character and what he's there for and how some of the isolation has affected his character.
Then, the accident happens...

After that, things get spooky and mysterious and the viewer is never really sure what is happening around Sam... are we witnessing something through his isolation effected mind or are these things really happening?

After the explanation is given though, it throws the audience into almost a psychological panic alongside the main character we've come to not just know, or think we know, but have also fallen in love with.
The twist/explanation that happens in the middle of the film also gives a highly philosophical edge as the viewer now begins to question their feelings toward Sam(s).

Even GERTY is given a change in personality... the viewer gets thrown on the backfoot a number of times when GERTY seems to change his/its alliances.

The very atmosphere of the movie is built up of the mystery surrounding Sam(s)... his journey to find the truth and disturbing realisations are wonderfully simplistic yet brilliantly original, making the film easy to understand, especially when it could have been highly confusing.
You never forget the feeling of loneliness though which adds depth to the setting.

Sam Rockwell nails this role though. He has to play a number of different styles of character in the film... aggressive, thoughtful, hyperactive, injured, fit and well... and at times incredibly funny too, his conversations, arguments and insults with himself, are hilarious to watch.
Lacing all of the emotions with a disturbed and confused undertone and some madness (from the isolation) thrown in too.
Simply put, I don't think anyone could have done this better than Rockwell. Absolutely 1st Class.

Kevin Spacey backs him up as the voice of GERTY.
Spacey is also on top form. He does a kind of monotone voice for the droid... similar to his voice in Se7en and even has a strange sense of menace about him. That screenas well which shows his apparent emotion is also pretty spooky.

Action and effects... well, think of this film as a Sci-Fi-Drama... a Sci-Fi with a Human story to tell... with the CGI and practical effects around the base and out on the Moon's surface simply backing the story up.

It's all rendered nicely though, is highly realistic and the makeup jobs are top.
The choreography too for Sam Rockwell is absolutely brilliant though and is so well put together and natural, it's almost unnoticeable.

The music is also perfectly placed and adds a massive power to the emotions and frustrations that Sam is going through.

---

All in all, a psychological and philosophical movie laced with some brilliantly funny humour, emotion, mystery and some very real tragedy and heartbreak.
Sam Rockwell makes this film believable though, by far some of the best acting I've ever seen.
I'm finding it almost impossible to find a fault with the film to be totally honest. Even some of the highest rated films in my reviews have a few faults...
Highly, highly recommended.

My Rating: 101% (gotta be)