The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I played through ME2 not that long ago and don't find it that dated. I think it's an inferior experience overall (but the combat is night and day better) than ME1 but the first game is a hard sell in 2017.

What started out as a successor to the mighty KOTOR became, over the course of the trilogy, a narrative focused action game. A chat-em-up, if you will.

I'd have much preferred it if Bioware had refined ME1 instead of dumbing it down, just like they did with the Dragon Age franchise but (EDIT - For the sake of confusion, I mean THEY DUMBED DOWN DRAGON AGE TOO!!1111111 HOW COULD THEY?!?!?), hey, I'm not getting my paycheques signed by EA.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm awaiting the new PS4 firmware upgrade which enables usb hard drive support so that I can get back into Destiny (and TESO). Can't justify the space they take up for occasional plays and my 30mb connection still means they take hours to download fresh, killing any spontaneous action.
Me too, when is this happening?!?!?!?

Suspect's Reviews

Me too, when is this happening?!?!?!?
They've not set a date but I'm hoping it's some time before the end of the month. Wish I'd found out about it when they were still taking Beta signups.

With Mass Effect Andromeda on the horizon, I'm finally considering jumping into the current gen of consoles. I'm having a really hard time deciding if I want an Xbox One or PS4 though.

I had a launch model PS3 that broke my heart when it had a hardware failure back in 2010, so instead of getting a new PS3, I jumped ship to the 360 and haven't looked back. My room mate has a PS4, and I've played a friend's XBOne, and I have to say I vastly prefer the Xbox controller to the PS controller, and I'm so accustomed to the 360 interface that the PS4 menu feels awkward to me.

Most of the games I'm interested in playing are cross-platform. The games I most want to play are available on both (Fallout 4, Final Fantasy XV, Witcher 3, and the already mentioned Mass Effect). An increasing number of 360 games I own are also becoming playable on the One. There's currently only one exclusive on each side that interests me: Uncharted on the PS4 (but I've been told that I can just borrow and play my room mate's copy/system), and I'm interested in the new Gears of War thanks to Liam McIntyre being in it, though I haven't played the previous games yet (I do own them though).

I probably shouldn't buy either until there are more games to interest me, but I really want to play Andromeda, and in the past it's usually been just one game that really pushed me to buy a new console in the first place. I have a large enough backlog of PS2, 360, and PC games to keep me busy in between new releases, and I can always play the better versions of games I played on the 360 (Dragon Age: Inquisition for one) as well.

Do any of you guys own both? Do you prefer one over the other? Anyone want to choose for me so I have someone to blame if I regret the choice? haha

With Mass Effect Andromeda on the horizon, I'm finally considering jumping into the current gen of consoles. I'm having a really hard time deciding if I want an Xbox One or PS4 though.

I had a launch model PS3 that broke my heart when it had a hardware failure back in 2010, so instead of getting a new PS3, I jumped ship to the 360 and haven't looked back. My room mate has a PS4, and I've played a friend's XBOne, and I have to say I vastly prefer the Xbox controller to the PS controller, and I'm so accustomed to the 360 interface that the PS4 menu feels awkward to me.

Most of the games I'm interested in playing are cross-platform. The games I most want to play are available on both (Fallout 4, Final Fantasy XV, Witcher 3, and the already mentioned Mass Effect). An increasing number of 360 games I own are also becoming playable on the One. There's currently only one exclusive on each side that interests me: Uncharted on the PS4 (but I've been told that I can just borrow and play my room mate's copy/system), and I'm interested in the new Gears of War thanks to Liam McIntyre being in it, though I haven't played the previous games yet (I do own them though).

I probably shouldn't buy either until there are more games to interest me, but I really want to play Andromeda, and in the past it's usually been just one game that really pushed me to buy a new console in the first place. I have a large enough backlog of PS2, 360, and PC games to keep me busy in between new releases, and I can always play the better versions of games I played on the 360 (Dragon Age: Inquisition for one) as well.

Do any of you guys own both? Do you prefer one over the other? Anyone want to choose for me so I have someone to blame if I regret the choice? haha
I agree about the PS4 controller, it's awful. It all boils down to what you prefer in the long run. If it's a more broad selection of games, then the PS4 is a better option. But if you're looking for comfort and the controller is a major factor, then go for the XBox One

there's a frog in my snake oil
My professional E-Sports debut is fast approaching
Oh god, the memories, the exchange of 50p coins for pixel glory! The fricking frisbee gaming! This is bringing back the sweet sweet sweat odour of the arcade alright

---

And what does PC get? Gyrodisc Super League?

No PC! No!

(Where are the sweatbands? Where is the 80s font? Why do the frisbees look so round? Incomplete...)

I've been playing Windjammers on the PC for years. *cough* Mame *cough*

@MonnoM @CosmicRunaway : What on earth is wrong with the Dualshock 4? Seriously. I've got 2 DS4s and 2 Xbone pads and the only reason, given a straight choice between the two, I'd gravitate slightly towards the Xbone controller is analogue stick placement and an arthritic left thumb.

Anyway, that's a decision I had to make about 6 months ago and I came down on the side of the PS4 without too much deliberation. Reason? I've got a hefty gaming PC so the Xbone's library, thanks to Microsoft's Play Anywhere thing, is just inferior versions of what I can already buy.

Off the top of my head, the PS4 has Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Yakuza 0, Last Guardian, Odin Sphere Lederhosen, Nioh. Horizon Zero Dawn. And Gal Gun: Double Peace.

And Windjammers. And the Parappa remaster. And Uncharted 4. And Ratchet and Clank. And Persona 5 (ok, that one's also PS3).

It's not even close.

I agree about the PS4 controller, it's awful. It all boils down to what you prefer in the long run. If it's a more broad selection of games, then the PS4 is a better option. But if you're looking for comfort and the controller is a major factor, then go for the XBox One
One good thing I can say about the PS4 controller is that it's a major improvement on the PS3 controller. Since my room mate got a PS4, we've had his old PS3 hooked up to my tv in the living room for watching BluRays, and after using the 360 controller for so long, the PS3 one feels so cheap and ...whatever the opposite of sturdy is. Which is strange because the PS2 controller was great. But still, the improved PS4 controller doesn't feel as right as the One or even a 360 controller does to me.

I feel like I will be more comfortable with the One. But like you said, the PS4 will likely continue to have a wider variety of games. Without games the thing is just an expensive brick.

What on earth is wrong with the Dualshock 4?
I don't dislike the PS4 controller. I just like the Xbox one more. I do however dislike the PS3 controller's flimsiness. See my above post for more details haha.

I've got a hefty gaming PC so the Xbone's library, thanks to Microsoft's Play Anywhere thing, is just inferior versions of what I can already buy.
I don't have a gaming PC. I don't even have a graphics card. I haven't worked on the inside of a PC in 13 years so I wouldn't trust me to upgrade it myself, and I have a very compact tower that likely wouldn't fit most cards anyway.

Also my computer is on a desk in my bedroom, and I prefer to game out in the living room on the tv, and I don't want to have to keep moving it back and forth.

Off the top of my head, the PS4 has Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Yakuza 0, Last Guardian, Odin Sphere Lederhosen, Nioh. Horizon Zero Dawn. And Gal Gun: Double Peace.

And Windjammers. And the Parappa remaster. And Uncharted 4. And Ratchet and Clank. And Persona 5 (ok, that one's also PS3).
I have no interest in any of those games, other than Uncharted, which I already mentioned (and already have access to if I really wanted). I actually hated the PS2 version of Odin Sphere, and couldn't get into the Ratchet games. I tried Persona 3 (FES version if that made a difference) when it was new and absolutely hated it. I did like Shin Megami Tensei IV a little more, but never bothered to finish it, so I don't have any faith in the other instalments of that franchise.

Horizon Zero Dawn does look pretty, but I don't think I'd really play it. I get weird Far Cry vibes from it.

I've been playing Windjammers on the PC for years. *cough* Mame *cough*

@MonnoM @CosmicRunaway : What on earth is wrong with the Dualshock 4? Seriously. I've got 2 DS4s and 2 Xbone pads and the only reason, given a straight choice between the two, I'd gravitate slightly towards the Xbone controller is analogue stick placement and an arthritic left thumb.

Anyway, that's a decision I had to make about 6 months ago and I came down on the side of the PS4 without too much deliberation. Reason? I've got a hefty gaming PC so the Xbone's library, thanks to Microsoft's Play Anywhere thing, is just inferior versions of what I can already buy.

It's not even close.
I just never got used to it. It's too bulky and I never get the buttons right. Also, I generally hate the analog sticks on a controller.

I'm all about that WASD and mouse business.

@CosmicRunaway - In that case, go for the Xbone! An advantage with the Play Anywhere stuff is that, if one day you find yourself with a gaming PC, the XB1 titles you own (digitally, it doesn't work for disc versions) are automatically available to you on Windows.
@MonnoM - There are so many console ports on PC now that I think a controller of some kind is useful. I don't think I could play, say, GTA or a fighting or driving game with a keyboard.

I feel unusual...

So unusual, in fact, that I'd quite like to visit Bury. I've not been to Bury since the 90s.

They have an Operation Wolf machine, a pristine Galaga cabinet, the Star Wars arcade game and ... man ... the Judge Dredd pinball table.

@CosmicRunaway - In that case, go for the Xbone! An advantage with the Play Anywhere stuff is that, if one day you find yourself with a gaming PC, the XB1 titles you own (digitally, it doesn't work for disc versions) are automatically available to you on Windows.
Unfortunately I do plan to buy (at least the AAA games) on disc. I'm a sucker for physical media. Though based on my room mate's experience with the PS4, I don't think there's much on the actual discs anyway, and there's probably no reason to buy physical copies other than for nostalgia or something. My shelves are pretty full already too. Hmmm...maybe digital is the way to go.

The only problem with going digital is that we don't have the best internet, and we also have a data cap. When we switched service providers years ago (there are only 2 here and the other one was much worse), if you wanted a reasonable speed and price, those options all had restrictive data caps. We lucked into getting a deal with a much bigger cap than the others at the time. In the past couple of years they have started offering unlimited packages at similar prices for the same or better speeds, so we should probably look into changing actually.

Unfortunately I do plan to buy (at least the AAA games) on disc. I'm a sucker for physical media. Though based on my room mate's experience with the PS4, I don't think there's much on the actual discs anyway, and there's probably no reason to buy physical copies other than for nostalgia or something. My shelves are pretty full already too. Hmmm...maybe digital is the way to go.

The only problem with going digital is that we don't have the best internet, and we also have a data cap. When we switched service providers years ago (there are only 2 here and the other one was much worse), if you wanted a reasonable speed and price, those options all had restrictive data caps. We lucked into getting a deal with a much bigger cap than the others at the time. In the past couple of years they have started offering unlimited packages at similar prices for the same or better speeds, so we should probably look into changing actually.
Yeah, unless you've got superfast unlimited internet, disc is still the viable option. At least on PSN, the digital version of a new AAA release is still up to £10 more expensive than an Amazon disc, too.

At least on PSN, the digital version of a new AAA release is still up to £10 more expensive than an Amazon disc, too.
They're the same price here. Typically $79.99 (plus 15% sales tax, joy! Though I'm not sure if the online stores charge tax now that I think about it).

For that amount of money I'd like something to show for it, instead of just data on a hard drive that can be erased. But digital is the future, so I should probably learn to embrace it eventually haha.

I really think I'd be more comfortable with an XB1. I'm just worried that the amount of games I'm interested in will be low. Then again, I thought the same thing about the 360 originally, and I ended up with tons of games for that. And I'm still pickings things up for it when I see a good deal haha.

They're the same price here. Typically $79.99 (plus 15% sales tax, joy! Though I'm not sure if the online stores charge tax now that I think about it).

For that amount of money I'd like something to show for it, instead of just data on a hard drive that can be erased. But digital is the future, so I should probably learn to embrace it eventually haha.

I really think I'd be more comfortable with an XB1. I'm just worried that the amount of games I'm interested in will be low. Then again, I thought the same thing about the 360 originally, and I ended up with tons of games for that. And I'm still pickings things up for it when I see a good deal haha.
As with the previous generation, my console gets used as a media centre as much as it does a games machine. The Xbox One S has a 4k blu ray player (something that even the PS4 Pro doesn't) built in as well.

@MonnoM - There are so many console ports on PC now that I think a controller of some kind is useful. I don't think I could play, say, GTA or a fighting or driving game with a keyboard.
I've only ever tried it with RPG's and such. Maybe there's a chance it'll work out better with fighting or driving games, considering the different game mechanics. I used to play those often, back when controllers were a lot more simple . Would be nice to revisit these games. However, when it comes to RPG's, etc. I can't stand it. Tried playing Alien: Isolation on PS4 once and I just couldn't get a handle on it.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Finally got around to playing the Nier Automata demo and I was impressed. The combat and enemies kinda get stale / samey , but I will chalk that up to being a demo.