Kong Skull Island early reception?

Tools    

any positive word on this? I don't want it to be as lifeless and teasing as Godzilla, but I don't want it to be a mess, because I thought that first trailer was great, but that second one kind made me jump ship a bit.

Godzilla 2014 looked great in trailers and so does Skull Island but Godzilla 2014 was one of the most boring movies I watched in that year after the promising first 20 minutes so I am going to wait for reviews on Kong Skull Island before I go anywhere near it. So far I have heard nothing from test screenings.

I hear the first half hour concerns Sam Jackson's wife dying slowly, then Kong almost appears. Then he almost appears ten more times. Then in the final five minutes Kong fights a glowing bug or something. Then it ends with a country western song.

I'm excited, but a bit concerned, moreso with the crossover, as it seems so different from the 2014 Godzilla, which a liked quite a bit, it'll be a bit weird when they finally come together. I hope they don't completely overhaul the Godzilla sequel too much because of Skull Island. Although I hope Godzilla is a bit more fun, and frequent with it's action, even though I liked the serious tone.

Well, Samuel L. Jackson is in it, so it's got to be... Oh wait... he's in EVERYTHING!
Yep, getting pretty damned tired of him--He ruined Tarzan, actually he just made a bad film worse there--He needs to retire

Godzilla 2014 looked great in trailers and so does Skull Island but Godzilla 2014 was one of the most boring movies I watched in that year after the promising first 20 minutes so I am going to wait for reviews on Kong Skull Island before I go anywhere near it. So far I have heard nothing from test screenings.
Godzilla 2014 was great in the second half but the first half was a bore

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Godzilla 2014 was great in the second half but the first half was a bore
First half was bad, second half was bad.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
To all the people that say Godzilla 14' wasn't good.

I just had an epiphany about how hard it is to make a movie based off of guys in rubber suits not fun.

Now that I think about it, Godzilla Jurassivelocipator was more fun.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
The final trailer has Kong using a tree for a sword, a tree sword, if anyone hasn't bought a ticket yet they are clinically insane.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm not a fan of giant monster movies in general, but I'm actually looking forward to this one, if only to see how far they go with (excuse the pun) apeing of Apocalypse Now.

I'm seeing it Thursday, can't wait. Well, I can wait, sort of have to, but I'm not happy about it.

Look, I didn't hate Godzilla 2014 (yeah, there was too much talky talky and not enough giant monsters....but that's EVERY Godzilla movie) and I am self professed FANATIC for Kong, but I am concerned that they are leaving out one the best, most essential parts of the Kong story....I do not believe Kong ever gets to New York in this (and since they're planning a team up, we know he's certainly not getting shot down off anything). I'm going to see it with hopes high, of course....but that's a big part of the story to omit.

Legend in my own mind
I'm seeing it Thursday, can't wait. Well, I can wait, sort of have to, but I'm not happy about it.
I am also in for Thursday.

Not sure whether I am looking forward to it or not. The trailer seems to go from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Boldly going.
5/10.

Saw it tonight and didn't like it. I even fell asleep for about 5 minutes (something I haven't done in a theatre since I was 5!) I had high hopes for it: for years, I thought they should do a prequel or sequel to King Kong, something that explains how Skull Island came to be. This movie gives a brief explanation, but it's not a very good one.
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
This is basically the first half of King Kong stretched into a full movie.

I think they're just setting up for King Kong vs. Godzilla.

Reviews on this have been polarised.

I've heard some reviews say the CGI is like something from the 1980s and that the only thing holding the movie together was John C Reilly and that the Asian female character is simply thrown in to appeal to the Asian market because she doesn't actually do anything.

And I've seen other reviewers saying it's the best King Kong movie yet.

I'll more than likely wait for the DVD myself.

But what exactly is there to explain about Skull Island? It's a remote island that hasn't changed since the dawn of time and is full of prehistoric/mythical creatures plus a single self-sustaining tribe of humans. I guess you could do a story from the point of view of the tribe itself, but the human-versus-nature angle of a King Kong movie is better served by the main cast of humans coming from the modern world anyway.

Legend in my own mind
As my review states It is a film that has gone back to basics. Did enough with the characters and the backstory to engage me as a viewer and to give a context but not too much to take away time from what I really want to see, which is giant monsters kicking off.

People wanting extreme depth to the characters and Shakespearian sonnets in the dialogue are kind of missing the point.

And as @Iroquois has pointed out, how can you give much more of a backstory to the island when the whole point is that no one knows anything about it?

The film does what it should and in my opinion does it fairly well.

I have heard the criticism about the CGI but the only times that I thought it was poor were during the 'least important' parts of the film.

There is a long way to go but this is already a front runner for the Biggest surprise' category for me for Mofo awards 2017.

Boldly going.
But what exactly is there to explain about Skull Island? It's a remote island that hasn't changed since the dawn of time and is full of prehistoric/mythical creatures plus a single self-sustaining tribe of humans. I guess you could do a story from the point of view of the tribe itself, but the human-versus-nature angle of a King Kong movie is better served by the main cast of humans coming from the modern world anyway.
No, there's nothing strange about an island where there are giant bugs, ox, dinosaurs and gorillas
No, the ancient ruins don't make me curious about how the civilization collapsed, and whether they came before or after the giants, and whether they had anything to do with the giants' creation.
Mystery is fine, but one can also reveal a little and add even more questions.

I never said there was "nothing strange" about it, just not sure what difference it really makes to go into the details. In doing so, you run the risk of revealing too much and undermining what made a creation great in the first place - you've also got to have a really good reason beyond the mere satisfaction of one's curiosity.