Donald Trump for President?

Tools    

Thank God I'm British is the main thing I've learnt from this, although we have our share of idiots too, though.

I don't like Hillary, and I can't even take Trump seriously. I quite like Sanders though. I agree that Hillary seems condescending, and Trump makes Farage look plausible by comparison, and that xenophobe is anything but.

Also, and I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but how can people be so vehemently anti-abortion? Surely, a woman should have rights over her own body, someone else telling her what to do with it always seemed bizarre, archaic, and a bit creepy to me. Even before I kind of abandoned Catholicism etc. That was something I always believed in.
That being said, I support the most liberal party in the UK
It is bizarre to think another human has the right to push their will on someone who can't speak for themselves. Maybe that's our middle ground, I don't know.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Look who they're running against.

Bernie Sanders looks like he's a hundred.

It's Trump versus the two Cubans. Cruz is as likable as a rattlesnake and Rubio looks like he's wearing his father's suit.
so you think Bernie is losing mainly cause he looks old af?

Swan, is that a new murder weapon of yours?
You're the one with an avatar of a dude wielding a knife.

Re: Hillary. Obviously, I'm a conservative, so I'm not the best guy to ask. As ash points out, she's winning anyway, but you can be disliked by huge parts of the country even if you're liked by Democratic primary voters.

That said, I've heard from a number of Democrats--honestly, far more than I'd have expected--who don't like her. They tend to cite the reasons you'd expect: they don't trust her. Caught lying too often. Heavily calculated. Always cutting some corner and ending up in some easily-avoided scandal. And as Daniel alluded to, the reasons for her candidacy are a bit patronizing. Like when she said she was an "outsider" simply because she's a woman, despite being a career politician.

Anyway, the main thing about Hillary is that everyone already has a strong opinion of her: she has weak favorability ratings, but they're never going to crater. You're not going to move them dramatically either way without a major revelation. Which means she's a very beatable candidate with a normal Republican nominee, but probably has enough structural support to win against someone like Trump.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Obviously this comes from a place of being a conservative guy so take it for what it's worth. I refuse to vote for anyone pro abortion. Unfortunately that has become an issue that many politicians have become indifferent towards. Not Hillary though. Her and Bill basically spearheaded the march towards partial birth when he was president. Which takes an issue I am already passionate about and makes it ten times worse.

The other reason I have never voted Democrat is they have no concept of trickle down economics. It frustrates me endlessly that they talk about the 1% as if that segment of society will go away with their policies. The consumer will always pay for any taxes that are put on the rich. They devalue the dollar with their policies.

On a personality note, I think she believes the voter is stupid and her job is to save us from ourselves. The e-mails and Benghazi situation are perfect examples of this. I'm not going to argue she made us less safe but she dropped the ball on both counts and has been so disingenuous about both situations. Deflecting and straight up lying, and she thinks we are too dumb to notice. That is how I have always felt about her. She is far from the only politician I feel that way about but we are talking about her specifically.
most of your argument is more about why you wouldn't vote for a Democrat, not Hilary per se. (most Democrats are pro choice). but I think your last paragraph sums up nicely why most people don't like her.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch

It is bizarre to think another human has the right to push their will on someone who can't speak for themselves. Maybe that's our middle ground, I don't know.
I think so, I always found China's forced abortions heartbreaking, even though they had no other choice.

so you think Bernie is losing mainly cause he looks old af?
I think so. It's even deterred me away from him. Trump looks big and healthy, and so does Chris Christie, who I suspect is going to be his VP. Even though I won't be surprised if one or both of them drop dead from heart attacks in a few years. But still. Sanders looks kinda like a feeble old granny.

Also I'm not entirely sure about your system in the states, but if it's anything like up here, even if the PM makes a motion it has to pass through and be approved by Parliament. So is it the same in the states? even if Trump won, he would have to pass all his outlandish policy through congress, and if they want nothing to do with it, he's technically powerless isn't he? If that's incorrect, could someone please enlighten me about that?
Yep, pretty much. The President is Commander-in-Chief, so he could still do lots of dangerous things, militarily. And President Obama has taken a very wide view of what kinds of things the President can unilaterally declare via Executive Order (there's been a lot of fighting about it), which would constrain him even less. But there are still checks and balances, if we stop eroding them all the time, that would force him to be more realistic about his goals. I see little indication his supporters care, though. It's not about what he'd literally get done, it's about what he represents.

You're the one with an avatar of a dude wielding a knife.
Well, you and I belong to the knife club.

Re: Hillary. Obviously, I'm a conservative, so I'm not the best guy to ask. As ash points out, she's winning anyway, but you can be disliked by huge parts of the country even if you're liked by Democratic primary voters.

That said, I've heard from a number of Democrats--honestly, far more than I'd have expected--who don't like her. They tend to cite the reasons you'd expect: they don't trust her. Caught lying too often. Heavily calculated. Always cutting some corner and ending up in some easily-avoided scandal. And as Daniel alluded to, the reasons for her candidacy are a bit patronizing. Like when she said she was an "outsider" simply because she's a woman, despite being a career politician.

Anyway, the main thing about Hillary is that everyone already has a strong opinion of her: she has weak favorability ratings, but they're never going to crater. You're not going to move them dramatically either way without a major revelation. Which means she's a very beatable candidate with a normal Republican nominee, but probably has enough structural support to win against someone like Trump.
Yeah, I mean, like I said I'm not necessarily a Hillary supporter. I might be completely wrong anyway, but it's worth wondering about. Like, what if she was a guy? Do you think she might be more easily forgiven for that stuff? I don't know.

I think the main reason I even brought it up is because of that meme.

I am definitely the Edward Norton of Knife Club.

Sexy, you can be Meat Loaf.

Yeah, I mean, like I said I'm not necessarily a Hillary supporter. I might be completely wrong anyway, but it's worth wondering about. Like, what if she was a guy? Do you think she might be more easily forgiven for that stuff? I don't know.
I guess we'll never know, but plenty of male politicians are seen as overly calculating. Ted Cruz comes to mind.

Imagining her as a man is pretty instructive, though, because if you do, it becomes obvious how relatively unexciting she is. I think that's the main issue: she's a big step down, enthusiasm-wise, after first Obama and then Sanders. A lot of people will be "settling" for her even on the Democratic side. Maybe that's enough. But there's definitely going to be an enthusiasm gap.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Sexy, Trump does not look healthy. I dread to think what his BMI is, and his skin tone is like a terracotta kind of colour. That being said, I totally agree about Bernie!

Sexy, you can be Meat Loaf.
............... There's about to be another knife fight.

Sexy, Trump does not look healthy. I dread to think what his BMI is, and his skin tone is like a terracotta kind of colour. That being said, I totally agree about Bernie!
I think he looks healthier than Bernie. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- people respond more favorably to fat people than they do old looking people. Fat signifies wealth and abundance. Old and skinny and wrinkled looks like death personified.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Thats a good point, Sexy. I'm sure I read somewhere that being fat used to be fashionable hundreds of years ago for those reasons.

Bernie does look like death warmed up a bit though, and it is off putting, even though I know it shouldn't be

Maybe when Bernie supporters say "feel the Bern," they're actually telling Bernie to go get some exercise and maybe he'll have a better chance.