What was the last horror film that scared you?

Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Oh no, I forgot to name one movie because it's not really a horror film. But holy $H!T guys, the ending of Annihilation (2018) genuinely shook me to my core, it pretty much terrified me. Just the exploration of how weird and eccentric alien life can get, and how it's so unexplainable you have no other choice but take it in and be terrified. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. OOHHH.

I thought Sinister (2012) was genuinely un-nerving.

Oh no, I forgot to name one movie because it's not really a horror film. But holy $H!T guys, the ending of Annihilation (2018) genuinely shook me to my core, it pretty much terrified me. Just the exploration of how weird and eccentric alien life can get, and how it's so unexplainable you have no other choice but take it in and be terrified. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. OOHHH.
I haven't seen that yet but what you describe reminds me of Solaris.

I haven't seen that yet but what you describe reminds me of Solaris.
Looks like I'm going to have to watch Solaris now. Hopefully you get to Annihilation, I love all the perspective I can get.

Looks like I'm going to have to watch Solaris now. Hopefully you get to Annihilation, I love all the perspective I can get.
I found the original quite difficult to get into so my experience is of the American remake. The threat is slightly different between the two.

I thought Sinister (2012) was genuinely un-nerving.
Best horror of the decade.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Best horror of the decade.
I don't remember if I've already commented on this thread or not (and am too lazy to check), but I would second this sentiment. Sinister was one of the best horror films I've seen in a long, long time (even with that godawful jump-scare at the end).

I don't remember if I've already commented on this thread or not (and am too lazy to check), but I would second this sentiment. Sinister was one of the best horror films I've seen in a long, long time (even with that godawful jump-scare at the end).
hahahah I agree with the last Jump Scare (totally predictable). Now I want to rewatch it again My 6th time or so

hahahah I agree with the last Jump Scare (totally predictable). Now I want to rewatch it again My 6th time or so
The Witch had an unusually unexpected and very successful jump scare.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
It isn't even its predictability that bothered me. In-fact, it isn't even the fact it ends with a jump-scare, I wouldn't have liked that either, but I could have accepted it. What I disliked is that it jump-scared the viewer in a fourth wall breaking manner and undermined itself.

I wish Sinister 2 would've been better.

Hopefully if they do that cross-over with Insidious that Blum talked about, it won't be awful.

It isn't even its predictability that bothered me. In-fact, it isn't even the fact it ends with a jump-scare, I wouldn't have liked that either, but I could have accepted it. What I disliked is that it jump-scared the viewer in a fourth wall breaking manner and undermined itself.

I wish Sinister 2 would've been better.

Hopefully if they do that cross-over with Insidious that Blum talked about, it won't be awful.
I want that cross-over!! Hopefully Scott Derrickson, James Wan or Mike Flanagan could direct it

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I want that cross-over!! Hopefully Scott Derrickson, James Wan or Mike Flanagan could direct it
They definitely won't get James Wan. Frankly, he's above every horror film that isn't The Conjuring right now (not counting, like, .. IT), and I think Scott Derrickson will be tied up with Doctor Strange for a while.

As for Flanagan, that could be cool. I loved Gerald's Game, but I also know he is capable of misses too. I know he's working on The Shining sequel right now and I think they'll want to fast-track Insidious 5, so he's likely out too, unfortunately.

I think there's at least some possibility we'd get Whannell directing again (which wouldn't be a great director, as he's more for writing), but still.

I'd have to go with Sinister. It's extremely rare that I get frightened anymore by a film, but Sinister managed to creep me out and disturb me. Great horror flick!

It was 100x better than the overrated garbage that was Insidious.

The Babadook was overrated crap as well.

The Babadook was overrated crap as well.
I didn't think so. I'd like to see Sinister as it interested me when the trailer came out.

I didn't think so. I'd like to see Sinister as it interested me when the trailer came out.
I was pretty disappointed in The Babadook. For all it's hype and acclaim, I found it underwhelming and I hated the ending!

I really liked Oculus and It Follows. Two of the better horror films of the last 8 years.

I was pretty disappointed in The Babadook. For all it's hype and acclaim, I found it underwhelming and I hated the ending!

I really liked Oculus and It Follows. Two of the better horror films of the last 8 years.
I was more disappointed with Oculus actually. I haven't seen It Follows either – I'm so behind.

I found the original quite difficult to get into so my experience is of the American remake. The threat is slightly different between the two.
Just going to off your recommendation and try the American version.

Have probably mentioned this a couple of times already but just to reverberate. The thing that got me most about Sinister were the tapes. Just the very mechanical way in which they were done combined with the unclean Super 8 footage and the music!