B&W Film Title

Tools    

New member here, starting to explore films beyond the current popular ones.

I have a tough movie identification question. i was up in the middle of the night not feeling well, so I turned on a movie for about 15 minutes. It intrigued me, but I didn't think to find the title as I was in and out of it. It aired on TCM about a month ago.

Here is what I recall:

- There is a man on parole who was working at a gas station. He was let go. There was a young man with him who was about to quit in protest, but the man told him he would be fine.
- He then went to work in what looked like some sort of labor job. He went to the union boss and told him he was obligated to tell him he was an ex con. The boss didn't care. He was overheard by other workers. One larger worker overheard him and started to make his life miserable, which came to a head when he dropped a heavy box on his foot. They almost fought, the union boss fired him.
- man went for a job interview and was basically asked to be a snitch on the union guys. He punched the man in the mouth and left.
- man went to visit his parole officer who unofficially sympathized, but officially had to come down on him.

Cut to a second man

- semi well dressed man buys flowers for 10 cents a bunch for his lady.
- man notices high end car (looks like a 30's or 40's Rolls Royce) and goes over and asks about it. Another man sneers at him, but lets him look. Another fellow comes by and tells him to move on. A fight almost ensues.
- frustrated, the man and woman head down to the water looking over what I assume was the Brooklyn Bridge. They reminisce about what they would do if they had money, and the man gets frustrated again thinking the woman only wants him for his money.

And that's all I have. What is the name of this film? It's a doozy! I tried searching and asking around.

PC

Invisible Stripes (1939)

IMDb Page | Wikipedia Entry | TCM Page | Trailer

The scene you mentioned (his job interview), at around the 5:30 mark in the video

EDIT: Actually, that user has uploaded the whole movie (in 8 parts) on YouTube. Go here.

WOW! I'm truly impressed thank you.