Burn after Reading

Tools    

I think George Clooney and Pitt will be awesome in the movie. John Malkovich's work I enjoy, so this is something I would definitely go pay to see. This looks like one of the best comedy movies I've ever heard of, so there again this gets a point.

Who watches the Watchbear?
This is one of the movies I'm most excited for. I mean, snap... That cast... the Coen Brothers... what could go wrong? What could possibly go bad?

.. not much, I hope! Can't wait!

The Adventure Starts Here!
I keep thinking this can't be as good as it looks. Because, with this cast and the Coens, it looks to be otherworldly awesome. How can it be as good as I'm already building it up to be?

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
It can't! Lower your expectations, quick before you get dissappointed. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Even though the trailer looks promising, I'm only cautiously optimistic about this one. I do love the brothers' sense of humor. In their best films, it's superbly juxtaposed with serious subjects, and they've also made some fine straight-up comedies. Yet some of them just don't work. Hopefully, this won't be another Ladykillers, Intolerable Cruelty or Hudsucker Proxy.

Even the Coen comedies that are considered mediocre, I usually still like well enough to enjoy myself. (Am I the only person who found Ladykillers fun? Not classic, but at least fun and well-paced?)

So, perhaps I will still enjoy this despite the semi-high expectations.

Originally Posted by Austruck
Even the Coen comedies that are considered mediocre, I usually still like well enough to enjoy myself. (Am I the only person who found Ladykillers fun? Not classic, but at least fun and well-paced?)
I like Joel & Ethan's Ladykillers fine, better than the critical and popular consensus for sure, but it isn't anywhere near to the quality of the 1955 Ealing original starring Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom and Katie Johnson. Not even close. So if you're a viewer who hasn't seen the original, I'm sure the Coen version is that much more palatable. For those of us who love the perfect Guinness flick, it's sacrilege to even consider remaking it, and I'm still kinda baffled why they chose to do it...though having said that, for me it turned out much better than I feared. It's just totally unnecessary.

Definitely watchable, but also just as definitely their weakest flick.

I expect much more from Burn After Reading.

And for the record, I LOVE The Hudsucker Proxy and haven't understood the drubbing it has taken from the initial reviews up through today. But, to each their own, I reckon!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I can see the appeal of Hudsucker Proxy but it never struck me the way many of their other movies have.

And no, I haven't seen the original Ladykillers. Methinks a Netflix queue reordering is in order, so to speak...

Intelligence is relative... I love that.

George Clooney+Brad Pitt+Coen Brothers+Dark Comedy=Win. I Can't Wait To See This.

I saw the trailer for this at the movies the other day and I think it looked hilarious. George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, and Brad Pitt sounds awesome. I'm already hyped for this one.