Movie Tab II

Tools    

Casablanca, man I love this movie. It's funny, I've run across people that actually think Humphrey Bogart can't act. Whatever... I really need to get a nice new DVD copy of this flick though my old VHS copy is on its way out.

Put me in your pocket...
Paris, Je T'aime (2006)
I loved it for the most part. The Mime story was endearing and made me smile. Loved the story with Natalie Portman and the story with the couple that visited Oscar Wildes grave. The two stories that touched me the most and made cry were the mother who comes to terms with her sons death, and the parking garage worker who sings and wants to have a cup of coffee with a girl he just met. However, there were a couple of stories that I could have done without, like the first story (ehh) or I wish had more time like the babtsitters story. All in all though I loved it.

Beware The Probe!
Just watched the original The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) last night.

Haven't seen it in a while & I forgot how great it was.
Made me look forward even more now for the upcoming remake. I'm sure Keanu will be able to pull it off well enough.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Cool Hand Luke - One of those films, like The Wizard of Oz, that is obviously a classic and has some really memorable bits, but wouldn't be in my personal top 100. Mr. Next liked it, though, thought it was a 'proper bloke's film'.

Candy - still not sure what to make of it...I thought it was good, but it was quite upsetting in places. Heath Ledger is good. He really can act.

I am half agony, half hope.
Midnight Cowboy
Mark's synopsis of this movie is great and detailed, so I'll give my take on my first viewing.
I loved this movie for Dustin Hoffman's portrayal of Ratso. He was a pitiable character, and also slightly repulsive. You'd shrink away from him on the street, if you even noticed him. You know without a doubt that he's never fit in anywhere, never had a place in the world. The development of the friendship between Joe and Ratso is almost a mercy. I wanted it to happen because the two alone were so sad. There was something endearing about Voight's character, that he could maintain a sweetness when he kept getting stiffed, especially knowing his background. This film also made me aware of our place in the world. Kind of small, and really, unimportant except to those that love us. That's not a bad thing, it just makes the relationship between these two characters, who don't even have folks to love them (except for each other) more poignant.
There were a couple of obstacles to my viewing, like the party they went to. I hate that psychedelic 60s crap. I kind of got stuck thinking about how much Angelina Jolie looks like her dad a few times, too.
I do agree with Mark that the way they handled the back story on Joe was best done this way. Filling in the blanks for yourself ultimately tells the story better than just having it spoon-fed to us.

Johann von Goethe

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
The Ten-

One David Cronenberg's earlier films, also starring the Immortal Marilyn Chambers. Not bad, I'm sure a lot of folks out there probably wouldn't enjoy it all that much but I did. Marilyn chambers really was pretty hot back in those days.

Marilyn chambers really was pretty hot back in those days.

I'll say

man On Fire

Spring in a Small Town (1948)

Stop Making Sense

Waitress

There Will be Blood

You Can't Cheat an Honest Man

The Ninth Gate

Sunshine

She Done Him Wrong

There Will be Blood

The Ninth Gate
Do reviews of these two, please. I want to hear your opinion on The Ninth Gate, and I want to know if There Will Be Blood is worth seeing.

Do reviews of these two, please. I want to hear your opinion on The Ninth Gate, and I want to know if There Will Be Blood is worth seeing.
Sure:

The Ninth Gate is Roman Polanski's adaptation of The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte. I haven't read that book yet (have a copy but just am perpetually finding other things to read) but in some ways it reminds me of Umberto Eco's work, particularly his densely-layered, ironic conspiracy thriller, Foucault's Pendulum. It shares that novel's love of books and fascination with shrewd fanaticism, if not much of the plot.

Inevitably compared with Polanski's earlier "Devil film", Rosemary's Baby, there are a few distinctions to make here; 'Baby' is more firmly rooted in the psychological terror and paranoia of a young pregnant woman and the magical scenes in that movie have an unsure, subjective face. Here Polanski grounds his story in the conventions of classic detective films and novels which allows him more leeway for introducing strange and artificial elements because he is already working in a highly artificial world. There's a scene where Devilish magic is first introduced into the action that is surprising not because of how out of place it is, but because it's shown in such a nonchalant, incidental manner. Polanski really knows hot to manipulate film conventions and does so expertly here. Much of the film is spent pouring over text with a magnifying glass but it never gets boring, partly because of the superb and humorous cast, partly because of the commonplace but otherworldly atmosphere.

What drops it half a popcorn box for me is that the plot is somewhat incomprehensible. It's about a book with magical powers (specifically magical pictures) that obviously bends the reality that we see in mysterious ways but a lot of it seems kind of slapdash and arbitrary. I guess if you're a stickler for these things it would probably drop a little bit more, but I've seen it about 8 times now and enjoyed it each one.

There Will be Blood is a similarly beautiful and atmospheric film. This time set in the American southwest at the turn of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th. It is worth seeing for its mastery of visual narrative alone (it has an incredible, almost silent first leg that seems to last ages). Ultimately I was a little disappointed by the scope of this picture though. I think if The Ninth Gate had chosen to focus on the singular intensity of Johnny Depp or Frank Langella's spite and greed I would have rated that a bit lower too. I guess the difference in rating comes from the fact that I would rather have a beautiful film that teases the corners of my imagination than one built to support a single portrait, but both are good films.

The People vs. Larry Flint

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
It Happened One Night - i really liked this, i was surprised actually how funny but sexual it was for the time and the genre.

Annie Hall - i liked this a lot but after a while i got sick of hearing woody allens whiny voice. It was funny but a lil smug.

Manhattan - same as annie hall really

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
28 Days Later Scary, but good. I liked the way that you cared about the characters, which made it harder to watch because you know at least some of them are going to die horribly, but it made it into a more complete and rewarding film than any of those dumb teen slasher horrors. Boyle is a a very interesting director. And Naomie Harris is great, although I'd have liked to have seen her kick ass a bit more, instead of screaming and waiting for Cillian Murphy to rescue her...