What was the last horror film that scared you?

Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
There's been a lot of discussion here about whether or not it is actually a horror film but A Quiet Place scared the bejesus out of me.
It's the exponential use of masterful tension-building that really got me. No spoilers, but that basement scene with Emily Blunt, couldn't breathe!

Insidious chapter 1
The conjuring on a lower note
The vvitch

I really loved the first half Covenant, the second half was entertaining, but wildly inconsistent. I did enjoy your take on it though, especially that bit about there being no real human reactions to the terror.
Yes but only

WARNING: spoilers below
from David in the chestburster scene

Like I say there was an atmosphere of evil about Covenant, manifesting in a few ways. In Alien and Alien 3 I'd say it's more about tragedy, which comes over a lot through the music.

Yes but only

WARNING: spoilers below
from David in the chestburster scene

Like I say there was an atmosphere of evil about Covenant, manifesting in a few ways. In Alien and Alien 3 I'd say it's more about tragedy, which comes over a lot through the music.
agreed on all fronts, and that new chestburster scene was thrilling!

A Quiet Place was a really scary watch. I think it is the scariest film in last 2-3 years. Looking forward to watching Hereditary and Ghost Stories.

While some horror movies like the VVitch are my all-time favourites and have some very freaky moments, their fear-factor is nothing compared to the Blair Witch Project for me. I could not sleep with the lights out for a LONG time after seeing it first. Even seeing it now still has a profound impact on me. The pointy trees, the bloody hand-prints, the screaming, it's all permanently etched in my head. I still get a little bit of anxiety when looking at the poster.

But I'm talking about those films that you close your eyes at night and you just see that one shot of the film and it won't let you sleep.
I'd have to go really far into childhood for that kind of an effect. I only remember two films that genuinely made me scared, The Evil Dead and Spasms, and I saw them when I was about ten years old. Had difficulties sleeping for a night or two and uncharacteristically didn't rewatch either during the same rental.

A Quiet Place was a really scary watch. I think it is the scariest film in last 2-3 years. Looking forward to watching Hereditary and Ghost Stories.
Most everyone seems to agree on A Quiet Place being one of the best in the last few years. Absolutely do watch Hereditary when you can, and Ghost Stories I haven't seen but I'm intrigued, will probably watch soon.

While some horror movies like the VVitch are my all-time favourites and have some very freaky moments, their fear-factor is nothing compared to the Blair Witch Project for me. I could not sleep with the lights out for a LONG time after seeing it first. Even seeing it now still has a profound impact on me. The pointy trees, the bloody hand-prints, the screaming, it's all permanently etched in my head. I still get a little bit of anxiety when looking at the poster.
I wouldn't say it freaked me out, but the intensity that film brings in that third act is breath-taking, in literal terms.

I'd have to go really far into childhood for that kind of an effect. I only remember two films that genuinely made me scared, The Evil Dead and Spasms, and I saw them when I was about ten years old. Had difficulties sleeping for a night or two and uncharacteristically didn't rewatch either during the same rental.
I remember watching The Evil Dead when I was around 8, thoroughly enjoyed that film, kind of reminds me I still need to watch the other two in the trilogy, which one would you say is the most enjoyable?

I remember watching The Evil Dead when I was around 8, thoroughly enjoyed that film, kind of reminds me I still need to watch the other two in the trilogy, which one would you say is the most enjoyable?
They're really hard to compare as all three are quite different. I've only seen the third in somewhat recent history and it was 3 or 3.5 stars, I think. I'd be tempted to say that first two are better but that is definitely subject to change.

Also worth noticing is that the old Finnish VHS version of the first was heavily cut. I'm absolutely against all forms of censorship but I think it made the film scarier because most of the laughable special effects were missing.

They're really hard to compare as all three are quite different. I've only seen the third in somewhat recent history and it was 3 or 3.5 stars, I think. I'd be tempted to say that first two are better but that is definitely subject to change.

Also worth noticing is that the old Finnish VHS version of the first was heavily cut. I'm absolutely against all forms of censorship but I think it made the film scarier because most of the laughable special effects were missing.
Oh, I'n actually kind of embarrassed to be a horror fan and only having seen the first film, hopefully i can sandwich in the other two in my queue.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I’ve only seen the evil dead 2. Thought the main character was very cool but the effects and scares are really dated. Probably like it if it was more serious too.

I’ve only seen the evil dead 2. Thought the main character was very cool but the effects and scares are really dated. Probably like it if it was more serious too.
Second is kinda like a remake of the first with less characters, more comedy and little better effects. So to get more serious version go look the first (not to say there isn't some humor in the first too).

You people make me sad. A 3 Evil Dead films are comedy horror masterpieces (even if the first wasnt intended to be). The first one is hilarious and wonderfully gross but its also thick with a genuinely creepy atmosphere and very well paced. Much better than The Conjuring and The Ring which were just boring.

Also no film really scares me but I watched Reanimator last night and that scene (you know the one) really packs a punch!

I don't think it was meant as a horror film, but Tully scared me so much I actually considered a vasectomy.

I think a lot of The Blair Witch Project's scares are about what you don't see. The ending is the scariest bit I think.

This might just do nobody any good.
Those nostrils though. if thou gaze long into an abyss...