What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

No Apologies. No Regrets.
Last movie i saw in theaters was jackass 3d i think.

Last movie I saw was Avatar and that was incredible as you all probably agree.

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
I've seen 5 movies at cinemas this month and hoping to see the new Harry Potter before the month ends!

November 1st - A double feature at my favourite old cinema The Astor.
Le Femme Nikita (1990) and The Professional (1994)

November 6th
RED (2010)

November 14th
The Social Network (2010)

and the wee hours of this morning (November 27th) - A Midnight Screening.
Army of Darkness (1992)

"And our credo: "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words."

So Evil Dead 3 is having a worldwide rerelease then?? The Town is the last film I saw.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I would think it's a midnight screening similar to what they still do with The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

No Apologies. No Regrets.
Last movie I saw was Avatar and that was incredible as you all probably agree.
I strongly disagree with your statement.

Tangled. It was cute and about what you'd expect.

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
the latest Harry Potter at midnight and Burlesque on sunday night. the latter put me in the mood to watch Moulin Rouge tonight!!

Last night, I saw the documentary film Inside Job, which is about how the USA's financial system was hijacked by people in power, costing untold numbers of average American people their savings, homes, etc. It pointed out that this really started in the 1980's, during the Reagan Administration, continued under G H W Bush and Clinton, began to snowball when Clinton repealed the Glass-Steagall law, and has continued to snowball to this day, under G. W. Bush and under the Barack Obama Administration. It's a rather disturbing film, but well worth watching, imho.

Last night, I saw the documentary film Inside Job....
I read about this movie. I also read a few things about the director, Charles Ferguson, a member of the Council of Foreign Relations. Here are some other members:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Members...eign_Relations

'Tis a strange world indeed. My cynical nature doesn't like that corporate list.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Inception

Yes I am really really bored
Unstoppable was the last 1 I saw, hoping to see jackass 3D tomorrow

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Harry Potter, and I dont even really like it, I just wana see what happens next.

The last 2 have been utter dross shite.

Took my niece to see Tangled... and we both loved it. The horse was hilarious...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Pirates of the Carribeanead Man's Chest. Any wonder why I haven't been back?

Black Swan
2010, Darren Aronofsky

Red Shoes for the new millennium, by way of Persona and Jacob's Ladder. Natalie Portman gives the performance of her career thus far (physically and emotionally), and is definitely the odds-on favorite to pick up most every major award next year, including the Oscar. The visuals and audacious style crafted by Darren Aronofsky coupled with Portman make Black Swan a must see. But having said all that, for me it was a bit too hollow beyond it's style and central performance.

Portman stars as Nina Sayers, a dedicated member of a New York ballet company. The longtime star, played by Winona Ryder, is being forced out because of her age, leaving the lead in the upcoming production of "Swan Lake" up for grabs. Nina is meticulously dedicated to her craft, but has never been given the biggest parts by the director (Vincent Cassel). All the young hopefuls audition, including a confident newcomer named Lily (Mila Kunis). Even though she's sure she's blown the audition, Nina is given the lead of the Swan Queen, a role, for those unfamiliar with Tchaikovsky, that has two sides to it: a white virginal character and her dark double. Nina dances the "white" swan effortlessly and flawlessly, but the director worries that she cannot find the dark, seductive power of the "black" swan.

Striving for professional perfection, her offstage life, such as it is, mostly involves obsessive practicing. Though in her mid twenties, she still lives at home with her mother (Barbara Hershey), who was a dancer herself before becoming pregnant. As the premiere of "Swan Lake" gets closer and closer, Nina's grip on sanity becomes more and more elusive, culminating opening night.

The style and tone (and Portman) really carry the day, but the secondary characters of the demanding ballet director, smothering mother, and various catty rivals are purposefully kept as archetypes instead of real people among the other myriad of well-worn clichés of this kind of show business tale. Mila Kunis is the only one allowed to exhibit any manner of humanity in Nina's dark artistic journey. Natalie Portman is so good and Aronofsky so bold that it almost doesn't matter, and yes I understand that the story is told from the one character's perspective, but for me that lack of humanity balanced against the surreal madness makes too much of the film one note...as stunning as that single note can be. The finale, the opening night performance, is where the dual tours de force of filmmaking and performance crescendo beautifully.

That the script couldn't find a way to set the dazzling elements against something other than clichés is a flaw, far from the obsessive perfection the main character longs for, but the flourishes that abound are surely worth the price of admission.

GRADE: B+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

About the humanity bit, I don't recall where you got that from, but I guess I have to see it again without the perspective of entertainment. I'm just curious since you didn't mention it though,
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
did you notice how Nina became unto the white swan by killing herself?
I thought that was beautiful.

About the humanity bit, I don't recall where you got that from, but I guess I have to see it again without the perspective of entertainment. I'm just curious since you didn't mention it though,
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
did you notice how Nina became unto the white swan by killing herself?
I thought that was beautiful.

You don't have to recall where I "got it from", I just told you what I thought and felt. And I honestly don't know what the words "became unto" mean in your spoiler there, but I obviously didn't mention the ending of the film in the review as not to, well, spoil it. The ending is wonderful (if the ultimate outcome not completely predictable) and perfectly staged and realized, but most of the middle section minus the gothic horror elements was pretty pedestrian to me. I suspect you could have still had the main character's unreliable visual narrative and encroaching dreamstates while also telling a bit more of a story than Mommy mean, director demanding, dancers jealous, which is quite literally ALL you get from the "story". But I thought I explained my feelings pretty clearly, that in spite of a less layered narrative the bravura central performance and stylistic filmmaking make it a must-see. I don't think it's a masterpiece, but most definitely a cinematic experience to seek out.