The Unicorn

Tools    

Easily the strongest of the new fall sitcoms that I've seen so far, this surprisingly entertaining 22 minutes stars Walton Goggins, best know for his role on The Shield, playing the widowed father of two daughters who has been living in a social vacuum since the death of his wife a year ago and has friends and family are now pushing him to get back out in the world and start dating again. This show works thanks to some clever writing, a decent supporting cast and the inspired casting of Goggins in the starring role, an actor who has been known for dramatic roles, proves to have a certain skill with light comedy, not to mention enormous hunk appeal that will definitely work for the small screen. One of the through lines of the pilot is that this character is a babe magnet but has no clue, which makes him all the more of a babe magnet. Loved Goggins here because unlike a lot of dramatic actors who who attempt comedy, Goggins isn't working at it...the charm of this character is light and warm and completely believable. I will definitely be watching this one.

Omar Benson from Ballers.

Just finished ep 2, not quite up to the quality of ep 1, due primarily to a little too much screentime devoted to Michelle's overweight son, Noah. It's still completely watchable primarily because of Walton Goggins and his character...the guy is a hottie and the character is a sweetheart but more importantly, the character is a really terrific father. He's a great father because he's the first to admit that he doesn't always have all the answers but he's always in there pitching and caring. Enjoying this show.

Just watched ep 3...these well-intentioned friends need to back up for a minute. Loving Rob Corddry on this show...even with the restraints of network television, this guy is still so funny. I really like this show.

Saw the pilot. It was okay. Courtney and I love Walton Goggins which is basically the only reason we're trying this. Lots of comedies take awhile to find their footing, and we go through them so quick, that we'll probably watch at least a few more out of sheer logistical necessity.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like this show, but it just feels like it's lacking something. I can't seem figure out what's missing. I'm still watching it, but I don't know how long I'll stick with it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I just found this. It's cute but in a Hallmark Christmas movie kinda way. I catch myself laughing out loud several times an episode so I'll keep watching. I'm in ep4 and timing is getting better but the soundtrack feels out of place. Feels like it's trying to set up Arrested Development style punchlines but the writing is just not the same so it doesn't really work IMO. Cute show. Rob Corddey is always great. Excellent trailer on NF btw. Hilarious.

Just finished ep 9 of season 2...love the chemistry between Walton and Natalie Zea but hated the ex living in the garage, but didn't like that they got rid of the ex and the girlfriend, but I guess the premise of the show would be sort of ruined if Wade settled down in season 2. I really liked Natalie Zea though and will miss her.

Just watched ep 11...I'm glad they broke off Wade and Shannon because I'm not feeling this long distance relationship at all...Walton Goggins and Natalie Zea nailed the breakup scene. I don't know why I never noticed it before this episode, but I love that Wade's dog is named Linda...what a great name for a dog. The story of Linda and the corn cob was a riot..."You pooped corn!!"

Just watched ep 11...I'm glad they broke off Wade and Shannon because I'm not feeling this long distance relationship at all...Walton Goggins and Natalie Zea nailed the breakup scene. I don't know why I never noticed it before this episode, but I love that Wade's dog is named Linda...what a great name for a dog. The story of Linda and the corn cob was a riot..."You pooped corn!!"

I didn't like the long distance relationship, but I liked Shannon, and I liked her and Wade as a couple. I'd like to see them get back together again.

Got a little behind on this show and am trying to get caught back up. Very pleased with the return of Betsy Brandt from Wade's widow support group. Hope her return will allow the writers to release Wade from this going nowhere long distance relationship with Shannon.

Just learned that this show has been cancelled (Grrrr). I think this cancellation was a little premature and that this show could have found an audience if given a chance.

Just learned that this show has been cancelled (Grrrr). I think this cancellation was a little premature and that this show could have found an audience if given a chance.

I was on the fence with this show. I've been watching it, but I'm not upset that it was cancelled.