The Conners

Tools    

OK, just finished ep 20 and I'm a little confused...during the first show when the Conners won the lottery, wasn't there an episode where they paid off the mortgage? Roseanne put a little grill in the living room and gave Dan lighter fluid and a lighter so that they could burn the mortgage? Did I miss something somewhere?
Yes, they did pay off the house, and Roseanne and Dan did do that little celebration, but I think they don't care about the inaccuracies, similarly to how Dan came back to life.

In the final episode of the original season, we found out that the whole series was Roseanne writing her book, and some stuff, including them winning the lottery, never happened. So the house was not actually paid off in the original series. It was just something Roseanne wrote in her book.

However, they also said that Dan didn't really survive his heart attack in the original series, so there are some inconsistencies there as well. Many fans just choose to ignore the final season anyway because it wasn't good.

Forgot that the whole original series was just Roseanne's book and now that you mention it, I do remember that Dan died in Roseanne's book, not to mention that Jackie was the one who was really gay, not Beverly. And yes, I HATED the final season of the original series.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
OK, just finished ep 20 and I'm a little confused...during the first show when the Conners won the lottery, wasn't there an episode where they paid off the mortgage? Roseanne put a little grill in the living room and gave Dan lighter fluid and a lighter so that they could burn the mortgage? Did I miss something somewhere? I'm absolutely loving Emilio...I actually got choked up when he saw his daughter for the first time, but he took a real risk leaving Mexico. I wouldn't mind he and Becky returning to Mexico because I've never really gotten into this airhead alcoholic that Becky has been turned into for this reboot. And they just can't have Dan lose that house...that would be so wrong on all kinds of levels...that house is like another character on this show, the show would not be the same with the Conners living somewhere else.

I don't understand something about Becky's and Emilio's marriage. They kept calling it a "fake marriage", but since they have a baby together, wouldn't that make it a real marriage? Many people have gotten married just because they had a kid together, even if they didn't really love each other. Why would his immigration status change that?

Just watched the season 3 premiere and first of all, the show definitely deserves kudos for being the first returning-to-the-air series that is actually addressing the pandemic. The few shows that have resume production since the virus are all pretending there's no such thing as the virus, but I haven't checked out everything yet. I have to admit that I was a little confused that Dan received an eviction notice that said they had to be out in five days, but Becky and Darlene said they are going to start paying rent, but it will be a couple of weeks late. Loved when Ben (Jay R Ferguson) told Darlene that her mask hides her general contempt of humanity. It was nice to see Emilio, I hope he and Becky can work all their stuff out, Emilio is really sweet and he adores Beverly Rose. And though this show did actually address the pandemic, I found it a little hard to believe that Wellman's Plastics would be reopening amidst all this and hiring 200 employees. Also loved Becky and Darlene's wink to Laverne and Shirley and when Jackie was reminiscing about Booker and told the family he looked just like George Clooney.

Just watched the season 3 premiere and first of all, the show definitely deserves kudos for being the first returning-to-the-air series that is actually addressing the pandemic. The few shows that have resume production since the virus are all pretending there's no such thing as the virus, but I haven't checked out everything yet. I have to admit that I was a little confused that Dan received an eviction notice that said they had to be out in five days, but Becky and Darlene said they are going to start paying rent, but it will be a couple of weeks late. Loved when Ben (Jay R Ferguson) told Darlene that her mask hides her general contempt of humanity. It was nice to see Emilio, I hope he and Becky can work all their stuff out, Emilio is really sweet and he adores Beverly Rose. And though this show did actually address the pandemic, I found it a little hard to believe that Wellman's Plastics would be reopening amidst all this and hiring 200 employees. Also loved Becky and Darlene's wink to Laverne and Shirley and when Jackie was reminiscing about Booker and told the family he looked just like George Clooney.

I liked that they didn't avoid the pandemic, but they still have to remember that they're a sitcom. The family being evicted from their home isn't funny. It should have been a background issue in the episode, not the main theme.

I liked that they didn't avoid the pandemic, but they still have to remember that they're a sitcom. The family being evicted from their home isn't funny. It should have been a background issue in the episode, not the main theme.
This show has never backed away from situations that weren't exactly funny. Dan losing his bike shop leading to Becky eloping with Mark led to some very squirm-worthy television. A family being evicted from their home is a reality, something this show has always been known for. Remember when their electricity was cut off because they couldn't pay their bill...how many other sitcom families went through something like that? This show has always been a flawless blend of comedy and reality.

This show has never backed away from situations that weren't exactly funny. Dan losing his bike shop leading to Becky eloping with Mark led to some very squirm-worthy television. A family being evicted from their home is a reality, something this show has always been known for. Remember when their electricity was cut off because they couldn't pay their bill...how many other sitcom families went through something like that? This show has always been a flawless blend of comedy and reality.

Yes, but those situations weren't something that literally everyone was going through at the time. I don't know about everyone else, but one of the reasons that I watch sitcoms is to get away from the harsh realities of life at times, and them bringing it front and center of the episode just took away from the humor of the show.

It's like watching an episode of a sitcom where a main character is killed off. There's a right way and a wrong way to do it, and if the drama of the death overshadows the comedy of the show, then it loses something, and makes the show less enjoyable.

I expect most of the TV dramas, (especially the medical shows), to focus on the pandemic in upcoming episodes, but I would prefer that the comedies keep it more of a sideline story, not the focus of the episode.

Just wrapped ep 2...some of the strongest episodes of the original series were the Halloween episodes and this one provided some laughs, mostly courtesy of Laurie Metcalf. It was good to see DJ and Mary back. I get the feeling TPTB haven't decided whether or not they want Michael Fishman on the show full time and he's no Laurence Olivier, but he's an original cast member and as far as I'm concerned, there's a little hole in the show that will always be empty. It also seemed odd that there was no mention of them being evicted from the house during this episode since most of the premiere was centered around that.

Ep 3 was fun...I'm really loving where Dan and Louise's relationship is right now. I hope they don't rush into anything permanent. I like that Louise wants to keep her own place. I wish Harris would lighten up...she's turning into the nastiest TV kid since Violet Plunkett on Mom. Liked Mark's little therapy session with Darlene. Wasn't real thrilled with the appearance of Anna Maria Horsford as one of Becky and Darlene's co-workers...not one of my favorite actresses. It was nice to actually see Michael Fishman in a second consecutive episode. And what happened to Little Ed (Noel Fisher)? Did they fire the actor?

Ep 4 was excellent, had me laughing and fighting tears throughout. I hate that Darlene can't have any children, but this plot twist did allow Jay R Ferguson chance to prove what a terrific actor he is. That final scene in the kitchen with him and Sara Gilbert was a heartbreaker. And can I just say I love, love, love, love, love Emilio? I love how much he loves Beverly Rose and refuses to let Becky shut him out of her life. Emilio is adorable. I'm rooting for Jackie and her new possible interest (Nat Faxon), cause Jackie really needs to get laid. I was also very pleased to see that Jay R Ferguson has made it to the opening credits.

Ep 4 was excellent, had me laughing and fighting tears throughout. I hate that Darlene can't have any children, but this plot twist did allow Jay R Ferguson chance to prove what a terrific actor. That final scene in the kitchen with him and Sara Gilbert was a heartbreaker.
As much of a heartbreaker as that scene was, it's probably all for the best. They barely have enough money for themselves. They can't afford to have a child right now.

And can I just say I love, love, love, love, love Emilio? I love how much he loves Beverly Rose and refuses to let Becky shut him out of her life. Emilio is adorable.
I like Emilio, but Dan was right. If Emilio gets caught, he'll never see Beverly Rose again. Emilio needs to just go home, wait the two years, and then come back legally.

As much of a heartbreaker as that scene was, it's probably all for the best. They barely have enough money for themselves. They can't afford to have a child right now.

I like Emilio, but Dan was right. If Emilio gets caught, he'll never see Beverly Rose again. Emilio needs to just go home, wait the two years, and then come back legally.
I agree with you Dan is right and Emilio should go home, but I certainly know where Emilio is coming from...he missed Becky's pregnancy and the birth and he wants to be near his daughter. He's blind to the danger right now, all he's thinking about is being with Beverly Rose. You're also right that Ben and Darlene really can't afford a child right now. And what happened to the eviction issue addressed in the season premiere? It hasn't been mentioned in the last three episodes.

And what happened to the eviction issue addressed in the season premiere? It hasn't been mentioned in the last three episodes.

I think they avoided being evicted when Darlene and Becky both got jobs at Wellman Plastics.

Just watched ep 5. It was fun seeing Becky and Darlene square off against each other, though I really don't buy that the supervisor would actually let Darlene make the decision about Becky's work ethic and even so, why would she deliberately set up the conflict between Becky and Darlene which I'm sure she had to know what she was doing would cause. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why Jackie keeps pushing this perfectly nice guy (Nat Faxon) away. And is Becky and Darlene's new supervisor transgender? Anybody else sense this? If so, I would love to see it addressed directly.

Just finished ep 6...glad they confirmed my suspicions about Robin and did it without writing the character off the show. I am so over Harris...that spoiled little brat really needs a reality check and I'm glad Dan almost gave her one. John Goodman totally nailed that scene aand I also loved Darlene trying to have a conversation with a stoned Ban.

Candice Bergen was a lot of fun in ep 7 playing Ben's mother. How crappy was her asking Darlene to tell Ben that his dad wasn't his real dad? Jackie's comparison to Bev was on the money...that was such a Bev thing to do...remember when it slipped one Thanksgiving that Roseanne was conceived before her parents were married and if it weren't for the pregnancy, Bev never would have married Al? I hate what's happening between Becky and Emilio...Emilio might be the sweetest guy on prime time right now and Becky just keeps pushing him away.

Candice Bergen was a lot of fun in ep 7 playing Ben's mother. How crappy was her asking Darlene to tell Ben that his dad wasn't his real dad? Jackie's comparison to Bev was on the money...that was such a Bev thing to do...remember when it slipped one Thanksgiving that Roseanne was conceived before her parents were married and if it weren't for the pregnancy, Bev never would have married Al?
I thought when Ben's mother told Darlene about Ben's father, that she was testing Darlene to see if she would keep it a secret from Ben or tell him about it, and that it was going to be a lie, but I guess I was wrong. But it was even worse when Ben's mother just left a note basically telling Ben to ask Darlene about it. Then she came back and told him anyway, and made Darlene look bad for lying to him. She might be even worse than Bev.

I hate what's happening between Becky and Emilio...Emilio might be the sweetest guy on prime time right now and Becky just keeps pushing him away.
I don't know why, but they seem to be trying to make Becky one of the worst characters on the show. She was never that bad (or that dumb) in the original show. I have no idea why they're going in that direction with her character.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

I don't know why, but they seem to be trying to make Becky one of the worst characters on the show. She was never that bad (or that dumb) in the original show. I have no idea why they're going in that direction with her character.

Becky was always the smarter sister, and Darlene was the problem child in the original show... BUT, Sarah Gilbert is a producer (investor) so this is becoming her show.. I notice John Goodman only getting a few lines, which is too bad, as I think he holds the show together, the most interesting character, and the de-factor leader of the family since Roseanne "died".

I still have some hope that someday in the future, when "The Conners" gets canceled due to low ratings, that we usher in an era of forgiveness, and re-start "Roseanne", despite the re-boot not being as good as the original show, which was SO much better.. Last episode was alright, and since I've seen every episode, I'm going to keep watching, as its only 15 minutes long with DVR. I guess it's my soap opera, along with the NBA.