Avengers: Endgame

Tools    

It was arguably a bit of a feature of Marvel films in that era, Ironman 3 and Thor 2 also I think had relatively weak villians but interesting middle sections to them dealing with larger plots.

They also weren't really about the Villains, Iron Man 3 was about Tony and his PTSD and Thor 2 was Loki's movie

Sure it was

Finally got to see this last night. Broad strokes (spoilers):

The Good
  • Great payoffs for Tony and Cap that fit both characters. They made the tough choices they had to make for both characters.
  • They nailed most of the biggest moments. I was genuinely thrilled when Cap started using the hammer, and the hair on my arms was literally standing up when they all came together for the last fight.
  • Good mix of comedy. I actually think the jokes were exceptional, but I was too into the larger events to really laugh at them properly. Probably because I saw it at home and not in theaters; I imagine with a crowd, those would've landed beautifully.
  • The heist aspect was very fun, very clever.
  • Getting to relive those other moments from different perspectives was an inspired choice. Seeing little scenes (with clever quips in the background you could barely hear) that happened "after" the previous films stopped showing us something creates a feeling of depth and place that I would't have guessed.

The Bad
  • The biggest choices were fairly predictable. We all knew a big name had to die for real, and I was 80% sure it was gonna be Stark, and figured Cap had to have a send-off of some kind.
  • I really hoped they'd have a cleverer way of bringing everyone back. I was worried it'd be kind of handwavey, and it kind of was. I can live with it because it was an excuse to do some really inspired stuff, but it's still a flaw.
  • Related to the above, I'm really "meh" on them introducing anything like this at all, simply because it could become a storytelling crutch going forward. Actual comic books have all become retconned nightmares over the years, which is probably inevitable when you try to tell one overarching story over so long. It's not really possible (COUGH). So the introduction of something like time travel, even in the self-binding (I hope?) way they seem to have done it, makes me worried that the films will become just as opaque and impenetrable before too long. I hope I'm wrong.

A system of cells interlinked
@Yoda's bad points raised a flag for me the day I saw Antman and Wasp, when I thought to myself:

"Ah, so this is their magic wand they use to fix everything."

I did feel a bit let down, and figured they were sort of taking the easy way out while also introducing the potential for future problems. Still, I like the film on the whole, and as I mentioned before, I am glad it was a bit more character driven and a bit less reliant on giant set pieces, even if it was just that, a bit.

I liked it. It would be hard to imagine if you had watched some of the scenes 10 years ago, you would know you was watching a superhero movie.. Marvel seems now to take its inspiration from all over, crafting scenes you might expect to find in smaller dramatic, comedy or sci fi movies. its not just filler until the next big action scene, its changed a lot.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

It was kinda meh in my opinion. I liked the Infinity War a lot more. At least Thanos was an interesting villain in that one but here they just removed all depth from him. Also it feels really pointless to kill half of everything in the previous film when everyone with a single functioning brain cell knows it's going to be reversed. I still haven't decided if I rate it 1.5 or 2 out of 5.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The biggest flaws for me personally were that we never got the Thanos from IW who was such an amazing character, and they nerf and buff characters when it suits them (mainly Thor). It doesn't match when no stones Thanos can take on everyone, when all stones Thanos can get one shotted (Scarlet Witch gives him a good go I guess).