Star Trek spoof series "The Orville"

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've watched all 10 episodes of the fan-made web series "Star Trek Continues." It's very faithful to the feel of the original series and its production values are top notch - making it look very much like the original (all the sets, sound effects and music are spot on). I've got my criticisms, of course, and the stories are somewhat hit or miss, but the good ones are pretty good - especially the final two-parter (the lady who plays the Romulan Commander is a dead ringer for the original) and I liked how the very end begins to tie into the start of the movie franchise.

I've heard about "Star Trek Continues", but I haven't seen it yet. I've been trying to find time to binge watch all of the episodes, but I just haven't found the time yet.

Just found out The Orville is returning this Thursday (check your local listings)!

And in commemoration, I found a new YouTube video making some interesting points comparing The Orville to Star Trek Discovery:

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Just found out The Orville is returning this Thursday (check your local listings)!

@Captain Steel
I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it already returned this season. The first new episode aired on Sunday Dec 30th, and the second new episode aired on Thursday Jan 3rd.

I think anyone who likes Star Trek, especially "The Next Generation," should check it out even if they are not a Seth McFarlane fan. Despite being a comedy, it deals with some thought-provoking concepts at times.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This season so far has had little laughs and more character based development. I honestly think they want to steer away from the MacFarlane based comedy and do a light-hearted funny Star Trek.

Glad to see some things from the first seasons carrying over though, such as the gender reassignment episode.

Suspect's Reviews

@Captain Steel
I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it already returned this season. The first new episode aired on Sunday Dec 30th, and the second new episode aired on Thursday Jan 3rd.
WHAT??? I just saw the commercial and assumed it was the season premier. Hopefully the On Demand on the house TV carries the episodes (this cable doesn't carry the same stuff I used to have).
Thanks for letting me know!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
WHAT??? I just saw the commercial and assumed it was the season premier. Hopefully the On Demand on the house TV carries the episodes (this cable doesn't carry the same stuff I used to have).
Thanks for letting me know!
At least two episodes have aired.

I didn't know Adrianne Palicki was in it, might have to start it now
She's one of the best parts of the show!
(This is horrible, but I wonder if she could have that mole right between her eyes removed?)

I didn't know Adrianne Palicki was in it, might have to start it now
She's one of the best parts of the show!
(This is horrible, but I wonder if she could have that mole right between her eyes removed?)
The 3rd eye is sexy as hell

I've watched the 3 new episodes on On-Demand.

I have to think that Seth McFarland liked Seinfeld since at least 3 Seinfeld alumni (by my count) have shown up, perhaps more have appeared. It took me a while to place Jason Alexander under the make-up. I hate to admit I found Patrick Warburton's short appearance hilarious.

Again, nice to see more Trek alumni show up (two ST doctors in the same episode no less: Voyager's Holo-Doc and Enterprise's Dr. Flox).

I also hate to admit that I teared up at Alara's (Halston Sage) goodbye as she hugged the crew members.

Now, I wish I could have a discussion about gravity vs. atmospheric pressure (as the plastic bottle flattening on Alara's home-world looked more like the result of greater atmospheric pressure than gravity - there are no soft, light or fragile materials that just flatten under Earth's gravity, while objects under pressure - like submarines at the bottom of the ocean - will crumple. The planet Venus is a good example of this - it's gravity is similar to Earth's since it's about the same size, but the atmospheric pressure on the surface is similar to the pressure at the bottom of our deepest oceans. Things sent to Venus get crushed - unless they're made of metal - the pressure combined with the acid atmosphere and the intense heat means that things sent to Venus from Earth don't last very long.)

I wonder if Seth McFarlane is intentionally "borrowing" names from Star Trek (or maybe they're just stuck in his memory).

Alara's homeworld is called Xelaya which is pronounce exactly like Star Trek's Mount Selaya - a mountain on the planet Vulcan where the crew had to bring Spock's body to get his katra restored in The Search for Spock.

I just found our there was a Klingon ship in the Enterprise TV series called the Bortas - the same name as the Klignon-like character in The Orville (who's name is spelled Bortus).

P.S. The fourth episode was probably the best of Season 2 so far - with some major surprises. I liked the episode in season 1 with "The Krill" (when Mercer & Malloy went undercover on their ship), so apparently I like the Krill. The make-up in this show is as good if not better than that of the best of the Trek TV series (although I haven't really seen Discovery, so I can't compare much to that.)

I really like this show.
It is a comedy-drama. The second season seems lighter on the comedy and heavier on the drama.
The Identity (two parts) episode was awesome!
Wasn't it though?
A bit predictable at parts, but still awesome.
I thought it was going to be the season finale, but apparently there's more to come.

For those who still think this is just Family Guy in space... this is not your grandfather's Quark! (A sci-fi comedy TV series from 1977.)

If this were Star Trek - then the Kaylon are the mechanical race that created the V-ger probe ship from STTMP! Think about it - Spock found out that V-ger was a originally a space probe that fell into the gravitational pull of a planet inhabited by a highly advanced mechanized civilization who identified the probe as a similar (if cruder) being as themselves. They copied the probe's programming - to obtain knowledge - and built the humongous "V-ger" ship around the probe. The Orville may be giving us some background on this civilization.
The Kaylon are a highly advanced mechanized civilization that regard biological creatures as inferior, deserving of extermination. V-ger said the biological creatures ("carbon units" / humans) were an infestation of the Enterprise and deserved extermination. Both sought to exterminate the carbon units on Earth.

Boldly going.
Wasn't it though?
A bit predictable at parts, but still awesome.
I thought it was going to be the season finale, but apparently there's more to come.

For those who still think this is just Family Guy in space... this is not your grandfather's Quark! (A sci-fi comedy TV series from 1977.)

If this were Star Trek - then the Kaylon are the mechanical race that created the V-ger probe ship from STTMP! Think about it - Spock found out that V-ger was a originally a space probe that fell into the gravitational pull of a planet inhabited by a highly advanced mechanized civilization who identified the probe as a similar (if cruder) being as themselves. They copied the probe's programming - to obtain knowledge - and built the humongous "V-ger" ship around the probe. The Orville may be giving us some background on this civilization.
The Kaylon are a highly advanced mechanized civilization that regard biological creatures as inferior, deserving of extermination. V-ger said the biological creatures ("carbon units" / humans) were an infestation of the Enterprise and deserved extermination. Both sought to exterminate the carbon units on Earth.
Good points. I think the Kaylon share some similarities with the Borg, too (with the main difference being that the Kaylon are interested in extermination of bios as opposed to the assimilation of bios).

I also think Yaphit might be loosely based on the monster from the Star Trek "Devil in the dark" episode. Yaphit (voiced by Norm MacDonald) is obviously there for comedy relief, but he did some serious stuff in the Identity episodes.. It also makes sense to have an engineer that can climb through narrow spaces.