My Monthly Movie Mumble (MMXVIII)

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Enough Said (Nicole Holofcener, 2013)
+
Primarily lighthearted romantic drama with a good performance from Mr. Gandolfini plus decent enough support from Ms. Louis-Dreyfus that has some nice moments between the two central characters but some of the passages with peripheral characters are sadly not so well written imo

I watched Enough Said for the Women Directors Countdown, and I was surprised at how much I liked the movie, especially since I usually hate Julia Louis-Dreyfus. If I remember correctly, I think it even made my list.

I watched Enough Said for the Women Directors Countdown, and I was surprised at how much I liked the movie, especially since I usually hate Julia Louis-Dreyfus. If I remember correctly, I think it even made my list.
Don't think I ever saw Julia Louis-Dreyfus in anything before tbh, thought she was mainly ok in this though she wasn't great at 'contrite'. When it was just her and James Gandolfini it was nice, generally well written with natural dialogue and even a little moving at times but there didn't seem to be the same attention to detail put into the writing for some of the scenes with peripheral characters, most of whom felt shallow and primarily there purely for plot points to me. Pleased you got a lot more out of it than I did though gbg and judging by IMDb ratings I would appear to be the one in the minority with regards Enough Said.

Don't think I ever saw Julia Louis-Dreyfus in anything before tbh

I mainly know her from the TV shows "Seinfeld" and "The New Adventures of Old Christine", and she was very annoying in both of those shows.

I mainly know her from the TV shows "Seinfeld" and "The New Adventures of Old Christine", and she was very annoying in both of those shows.
Aha, I have probably seen her in Seinfeld at some point then but that was only ever an occasional watch for me as I don't watch a lot of tv. She obviously made a HUGE impression on me lol.

Aha, I have probably seen her in Seinfeld at some point then but that was only ever an occasional watch for me as I don't watch a lot of tv.

"Seinfeld" was only an occasional watch for me too, but that was mainly because I hated most of the main characters. (Hubby likes the show, so we watch it every once in a while.)

Unregistered User
"Seinfeld" was only an occasional watch for me too, but that was mainly because I hated most of the main characters. (Hubby likes the show, so we watch it every once in a while.)

Your hubby has good taste. Best comedy series ever. Dreyfus was also in Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, maybe you or Chyp have seen it?

Your hubby has good taste. Best comedy series ever. Dreyfus was also in Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, maybe you or Chyp have seen it?
Nope, saw their Animal House once when it came out, I think that's the only National Lampoon's offering I've ever actually watched

I haven't seen any of the Vacation movies. I rarely watch the National Lampoon movies because they're not my type of humor.

RE: October Mumblings:

I think I felt the same about Brothers, but it's been almost a decade now since my sole viewing, so I don't remember it too well at this point. Cold Prey and The Wailing have been on my watchlist for awhile. Should make a point to get to them for the horror countdown. Hopeful that I love the latter, since I've heard great things, but that run-time gives me pause. Gomorrah was compelling and well shot, but I felt too distanced from the characters to have much emotional investment.

Very happy to see that you're a fellow Jackie Brown fan. My 2nd favorite QT and one of my favorite films in general. Jane Got a Gun was average. Surprised you don't rate Le Cercle Rouge a bit higher. I remember receiving your +rep for my old review, so you already know my thoughts. At the time it featured the best and tensest heist scene I'd ever seen, but Rififi eventually topped it in that regard. You thought much higher of Lights Out than I did, but I admit that it's the type of horror (supernatural, heavily reliant on jump scares, formulaic plotting) that I rarely like. Re-watched Speed not too long ago and was impressed with how well it held up.

We feel the same about Castle in the Sky and Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans (terrible title). I always enjoy seeing The Cage unleashed, as he certainly was in that film. Been years since I watched it, but I still remember that "Shoot him again -- his soul's still dancing!" scene pretty well. We disagree on comedy a lot, so I'm not surprised that I found Weekend at Bernie's much more amusing.

RE: November Mumblings:

Haven't seen Blair Witch yet, but I love the original and think it's still the most effective found-footage horror. Curious to hear how the Chypster feels about it since the original is so polarizing. Wasn't a fan of Deadpool, finding the humor more obnoxious than amusing, and all the winking at the audience made me too aware that I was watching a movie instead of being able to lose myself in it. With that said, I was pleasantly surprised by the sequel. I'm with you on Enough, Gremlins, Mechanic: Resurrection, Mortdecai and Robot & Frank. Not at all with you on Mad Max: Fury Road, which, in my opinion, set a new bar for modern action. It's one of my new all-time favorites. Thought I was on my way to hating Pet, but, as you said, it does a good job of subverting expectations. Its lack of predictability kept me interested, but I think I rated it the same as you did, due to the poor writing

RE: October Mumblings:

I think I felt the same about Brothers, but it's been almost a decade now since my sole viewing, so I don't remember it too well at this point. Cold Prey and The Wailing have been on my watchlist for awhile. Should make a point to get to them for the horror countdown. Hopeful that I love the latter, since I've heard great things, but that run-time gives me pause. Gomorrah was compelling and well shot, but I felt too distanced from the characters to have much emotional investment.
Hopefully you'll get something out of The Wailing but it's atypically Korean with regards infusing a little humour and there's one section in particular that I think is much the worse for it. I actually found the sequel to Cold Prey better tbh, the colour palette in the original just didn't do it for me. I've not yet seen the third and final instalment.

Very happy to see that you're a fellow Jackie Brown fan. My 2nd favorite QT and one of my favorite films in general. Jane Got a Gun was average. Surprised you don't rate Le Cercle Rouge a bit higher. I remember receiving your +rep for my old review, so you already know my thoughts. At the time it featured the best and tensest heist scene I'd ever seen, but Rififi eventually topped it in that regard. You thought much higher of Lights Out than I did, but I admit that it's the type of horror (supernatural, heavily reliant on jump scares, formulaic plotting) that I rarely like. Re-watched Speed not too long ago and was impressed with how well it held up.
Love Jackie Brown, will never understand anybody that claims to be a QT fan but doesn't. I watched Rififi well before Le Cercle Rouge which perhaps had an impact but it's mainly the mixed pacing of LCR that knocks it down for me. What can I say - I'm just a sucker for formulaic supernatural horror that relies on too many jump scares

We feel the same about Castle in the Sky and Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans (terrible title). I always enjoy seeing The Cage unleashed, as he certainly was in that film. Been years since I watched it, but I still remember that "Shoot him again -- his soul's still dancing!" scene pretty well. We disagree on comedy a lot, so I'm not surprised that I found Weekend at Bernie's much more amusing.
That was my first go at Bad Lieutenant: POC - NO, probably one of the Nic's most enjoyable performances for me; he certainly elevates the rather humdrum material. I dunno, mebbe I just have absolutely no sense of humour? Or mebbe I do and it's just far too sophisticated for most American fare of that ilk

RE: November Mumblings:

Haven't seen Blair Witch yet, but I love the original and think it's still the most effective found-footage horror. Curious to hear how the Chypster feels about it since the original is so polarizing. Wasn't a fan of Deadpool, finding the humor more obnoxious than amusing, and all the winking at the audience made me too aware that I was watching a movie instead of being able to lose myself in it. With that said, I was pleasantly surprised by the sequel. I'm with you on Enough, Gremlins, Mechanic: Resurrection, Mortdecai and Robot & Frank. Not at all with you on Mad Max: Fury Road, which, in my opinion, set a new bar for modern action. It's one of my new all-time favorites. Thought I was on my way to hating Pet, but, as you said, it does a good job of subverting expectations. Its lack of predictability kept me interested, but I think I rated it the same as you did, due to the poor writing
I am so not a fan of the original Blair Witch Project, I can appreciate it being spectacularly successful with regards it's minimal budget but I got very bored of 'snot-shots' very quickly and the whole hand-held, amateur feel of many 'found-footage' movies just isn't pleasurable for me to watch so I also hold it starting that whole trend/genre blossoming against it. If Fury Road really does set the new bar for action fillums then I guess it'll be a genre I'll be watching a lot less of going forward - genuinely glad you and so many others enjoy it so much though.