72.73%
8 votes
Billy Wilder
27.27%
3 votes
John Huston
11 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Since I nominated them both, I was hoping they didn't have to face off against each other in the first round.

Here's a list of their films I posted when I nominated them.

Billy Wilder - Sunset Blvd., The Front Page, One, Two, Three, Double Indemnity, The Seven Year Itch, Fedora, Sabrina (1954), A Foreign Affair, The Fortune Cookie, Ace in the Hole, Some Like It Hot, The Lost Weekend, Buddy Buddy, The Apartment, The Major and the Minor, Irma La Douce, Stalag 17, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, The Emperor Waltz, Witness For the Prosecution, Kiss Me Stupid, Five Graves to Cairo, Love in the Afternoon, Avanti!, The Spirit of St. Louis

John Huston - The Maltese Falcon, Wise Blood, The Red Badge of Courage, Let There Be Light, The Night of the Iguana, Beat the Devil, The Man Who Would Be King, Key Largo, Victory, Moby Dick, The Dead, San Pietro, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, The Asphalt Jungle, Annie, In This Our Life, The African Queen, The List of Adrian Messenger, Prizzi's Honor, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Misfits, Moulin Rouge (1952), Freud, Across the Pacific, Under the Volcano, Heaven Knows. Mr. Allison, The Bible... In the Beginning

I like The Treasure of the Sierra Madre too much not to vote for Huston.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Semper Fooey
Huston was technically the better director. Wilder like many of the early directors who started as screenplay writers (but not Huston who started the same way) is a static filmmaker most interested in making sure the dialogue he co-wrote is clearly heard and the story is presented correctly without interference from that "fairy" director Mitchell Leisen, who usually directed Wilder penned movies before Wilder took the director's chair. But Wilder is the more brilliant writer and so has more memorable movies overall. On the other hand, Huston was more versatile. You can always tell a Wilder movie without the credits, the caustic dialogue a consisten footprint, not so with Huston.

"Fairy is how Wilder described him" "I don't care he was a fairy. Let him be a fairy. My problem is he was a dumb fairy."

I would've gone for Wilder

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
John Huston was known back in the day for being pretty wild.

But Billy was Wilder