DivX compared to DVD's

Tools    

MovieForums Extra
A friend of mine has been telling me about movies compressed in the new DivX format, and he claims that they are close to DVD's in picture and in sound (which is apparently 48KHz)...Does anyone know anything about this? Apparently, you can view DivX movies without having a DVD drive (of course it doesn't come loaded with features, but the movie is what you want to see anyway)...

Guy
DivX is terrible! Just terrible!!

(a bit lower in quality but it's better than VHS)

This DivX is different than the old Divx players that were essentially pay-for-play DVDish format championed by Circuit City (I know that you know that, but I thought I'd clarify in case someone didn't know).

This new DivX is a compression technology that allows for downloading video files faster and easier, but the quality really isn't anywhere near DVD-quality at this point. It's supposed to be an improvement over RealVideo and those types of things, though.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
OK Divx rules all. I love Divx. For those who doen't know, Divx is another name for MP4(Mpeg 4). It is a decompressor for video files, basically MP3's, but for video files. The quality is amazing for its size, but not as good as a DVD. I have a couple Divx movies on my computer. Half Baked, Spaceballs, Ninja Scroll, and The Rock. All amazing quality, except the Rock, which is, in my opinion, DVD quality. Complete movies take up alot of space in Divx though, around 700mb, but things like music videos and TV shows take up only around 40mb. I use Divx to compress alot of the movies I make which is another reason I love it.

MovieForums Extra
It's definitely better than RealVideo and VCD's (it's a lot smaller for one), and the sound quality is pretty good as well. You can notice some squares though sometimes, but overall it's pretty crisp and clear. And it can fit on a 700Mb CD, which definitely beats two 650Mb CD's for VCD !

I can pretend that things last.
Hello guys,

I have been hearing all this gorgeous stuff about DiVX ;-)
I also want to try some movies.The problem is that I don't know what are the essential files needed to view a DiVX format movie.All i know that you need a 'codec'.Anymore?
And I want to view them with subtitles too.I hear this feature is there for DiVX;-).

I want to know a place where we can download full feature films.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aditya

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Do a search on download.com for divx, they'll have the file you need. Then you can use any napster like program that supports video sharing to get the movies, or you can get them directly from sites.

MovieForums Extra
Yep, that's it basically. I downloaded and installed the DivX codec, and then just ran it with plain old Windows Media Player...if you need sub-titles, you might want to try to download a player specifically for it, but esentially all you need is the codec.