Swan's 2018 Film Diary

→ in
Tools    

Elephant -

(Gus Van Sant, 2003)

[REWATCH]

It was definitely one of the most fascinating hyper realism movies I've seen. I love Van Sant. What I especially loved about this movie is the way they shot scenes from multiple angles that showed how really long shots were completely reenacted.

A Fantastic Woman -

(Sebastian Lelio, 2017)

As it progressed I became more and more moved by her story, to the point where I felt devastating emotions at the simple sight of her, knowing the emotional torment she was dealing with.
Sounds really interesting. I might have to check that one out.

As a fan of Ex Machina (I became seriously obsessed with reading as much as I could about A.I. and the technological singularity for weeks afterward), the effusive praise that Annihilation has received from you and others has been exciting to see. My sucky theater isn't showing it, but I very much look forward to watching it whenever I get the chance.

I respect what Carruth was able to accomplish with such a tiny budget, but I didn't like Primer. My Neanderthal brain is probably to blame, though, since I had no idea what the hell was going on after a certain point in the film.

I've been surprised by the mostly positive reactions to Game Night, since the trailer didn't make me very optimistic in the film's ability to garner laughs, even with the extremely likable duo of Bateman and McAdams. I'm especially surprised by how much you liked it. Off the top of my head, I can't even think of any other comedies you like that aren't horror-comedies.

I'm sure your Death Wish rating received a slight Roth fanboy boost. Have you ever seen any of the Charles Bronson Death Wish films? Those come across like a gun nut's wet dream, too. Red Sparrow looks good. Never heard of your other recent viewings.

I'm sure your Death Wish rating received a slight Roth fanboy boost.
Just want to say no, actually. I was ready to dislike it if I did. I was pretty honest about The Green Inferno, if you recall. On the contrary, I think the critics have been overly brutal about the flick due to it's poor timing.

Have you ever seen any of the Charles Bronson Death Wish films?
I saw, and loved, the first.

The Strangers: Prey at Night -

(Johannes Roberts, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Carpenteresque as hell, with a hint of Wes Craven and a dash of Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Surprisingly worked super well as a throwback to the grindhouse era without feeling gimmick-y about it like many modern nostalgia-fests do. The crowd I was with had a blast, which added to the experience.

The Strangers -

(Bryan Bertino, 2008)

[REWATCH]

A cool concept - post-9/11 minimalist horror - where the minimalism is taken to such an extreme that it becomes kind of dull halfway through. For all intents and purposes it might actually be better than it's sequel, but I wouldn't know because I was only able to really appreciate it's bookends (especially the tremendous last 10 or so minutes).

Train to Busan -

(Yeon Sang-ho, 2016)

[NEW WATCH]

Cool zombie flicks with a supreme amout of heart and tension. I liked it a lot, but don't have much else to say about it.

I really ought to chuck Busan in for a whirl at some point as lots seem to like it and I do like a good zombie offering.

Unregistered User
The Strangers (2008) is dare I say it, a guilty pleasure of mine (even though I don't feel that guilty about it). Id be surprised if I prefer the new one but I'll definitely give it a shot. Cant beat a bit of home invasion.

Would I have to watch the first to watch the second? Trailer for prey at night looked pretty solid
I actually think it might be better if you haven't watched the first.

Is it the same killers and does it reference the events of the first film?

I thought the first one was alright but it was definitely a disappointment. When i saw the trailer as a kid with the creepy "Because you were home" line i thought i was going to love it, didn't end up seeing it til last year. I do love Glenn Howerton's brief role though, that was unexpected and hilarious. And yeah the last ten minutes are pretty good.

Is it the same killers and does it reference the events of the first film?
Yes and yes. The reason I said it might actually be better having not watched the first is better watching the first one afterwards I realized the sequel has a lot of callbacks to it that initially felt original to the sequel.

Tomb Raider -

(Roar Uthaug, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Definitely a poor man's Raiders of the Lost Ark but holy hell was it fun. Which is to be expected because adventure movies a la Raiders... are awesome as fudge.

Pacific Rim: Uprising -

(Steven S. DeKnight, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Miserable. I have a friend who loves robot battles, so we had to see this. Interesting how the gap in quality between this and the first is still so large. The first had higher expectations with del Toro in the director's chair, and ended up being merely serviceable but serviceable nonetheless. This one had far less expectations coming it's way, and still managed to be worse than expected! Actually, there may be some good ideas sprinkled in here. But they're difficult to come by in the mess of acting, directing and CGI that is Pacific Rim: Uprising.

Pinocchio -

(Hamilton Luske & Ben Sharpsteen, 1940)

[REWATCH]

Absolutely amazing, heartwarming tale that is ultimately about the human will to be a good person overcoming the human capacity for evil. Deeper than you might think, but hey, fairytales usually are deeper than we give them credit for.

Swan is a victim of Movie Pass. They would have to pay me to see Pacific Rim.
If "victim of Movie Pass" means I get to see a bunch of movies, so be it!

If "victim of Movie Pass" means I get to see a bunch of movies, so be it!
It's the best. Although I haven't used it this month and am getting antsy. I just don't care about anything out right now. Maybe Red Sparrow just a little.

It's the best. Although I haven't used it this month and am getting antsy. I just don't care about anything out right now. Maybe Red Sparrow just a little.
It's good for someone like me who loves just being in the theater, regardless of the movie. It's nostalgic for me, super feel-good. Add in the fact that seeing something random some times can lead to a pleasant surprise or just a damn good time, well, it's worth it for me.

I mean, I think we (I have too) underrate what pure escapism can offer to certain people. And I find I often get that with Movie Pass, even if the movie isn't great or even good.

I mean, I think we (I have too) underrate what pure escapism can offer to certain people. And I find I often get that with Movie Pass, even if the movie isn't great or even good.
You are usually preaching to the choir but so many of these action films just feel like noise to me right now. Doesn't help that I thought the first Pacific Rim is horrendous yet somehow this one looks worse. I am breakikng my theater drought for Ready Player One even though it doesn't look very good to me.

I think it might be because the industry is so focused on this tentpole "expanded universe" thing. Marvel, DC, Star Wars - I think a lot of people are getting exhausted with all this stuff. For good reason. So yeah, a lot of it is noise. But that doesn't mean some of them don't offer a good time, and some times I need that. Usually it takes a film that has some sort of singular identity - my problem with a lot of this expanded universe stuff is they are (not always, but usually I'd say) part of a bigger picture and don't have much identity as their own films. I find when they do, I usually like them more.

I think it might be because the industry is so focused on this tentpole "expanded universe" thing. Marvel, DC, Star Wars - I think a lot of people are getting exhausted with all this stuff. For good reason. So yeah, a lot of it is noise. But that doesn't mean some of them don't offer a good time, and some times I need that. Usually it takes a film that has some sort of singular identity - my problem with a lot of this expanded universe stuff is they are (not always, but usually I'd say) part of a bigger picture and don't have much identity as their own films. I find when they do, I usually like them more.
I think this criticism is very fair. I don't know what it says about me that Marvel and Star Wars are the only action adventures I care about anymore. Even with Marvel I am only half in. I don't know. I still think there is plenty of everything so I am not going to become a complainer (I hope). Just get a little frustrated when my favorite director has a new movie out this week and there is nothing I want to see at my theater.