Character development vs. plot driven story.

Tools    

I think the best films are character-driven to some extent. I mean, the protagonist's motivation should be somewhat clear to us, even if it's just the cop trying to catch the bad guy. Without that, the characters are serving the plot and that usually makes for a bad movie.

Character-driven doesn't mean the character has to undergo a change, though. That could be a good thread: what are some well-written films in which the central character does not change?

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Well, if you want my honest opinion, both are equally important and the best films strike a perfect balance between the two.

That's a great movie, it satisfies the need to see an outsider-underdog who suffers horribly at the hands of the evil antagonist, finally rise up and give pay back. Revenge films, especially 'emotionally justifiable revenge' films are often people's favorites. Seeing how For A Few Dollars More is set in a world apart from our own real world, the violence and revenge can be enjoyed without guilt as it has no real world consequences...Hope that makes sense.
Which is probably getting more to the heart of the OP's question, less about the mechanics of cinema and more about what the viewer looks to take from it which is not going to be the same from person to person.