What's so bad about Body of Evidence (1993)?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Okay I can see why a lot of people do not like it as it's really cheesy and may overly rely on sex to sell the movie but is that necessarily a bad thing?

I think the movie knows what it wants to be, unlike other erotic thrillers of the same genre. Other ones, like Basic Instinct, try to have this big legitimate epic plot piled on top, and try to be more than just an erotic movie, where as Body of Evidence makes no apology for what it it's being, and just runs with it.

But maybe that's a bad thing, which is why people didn't like it when it came out?

Is that the one where Julianne Moore bitch slaps Madonna across the face in a bathroom?
Jurassic Park Dominion- 0.5/5
What Josiah Saw- (4.5/5)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

what was bad about it? answer: you can only rewind VHS so many times before it gets damaged

madonna was really sexy in this, for me it s an entertaining film, with some good looking women, couldn t believe julianne moore can do such a hefty sex scene, she was really hot in this one, i like courtroom dramas, and this one has some good courtroom scenes, i don t care about what people say about the plot, the movie is very engaging from start to finish

Yeah Moore was very attractive and good as well.

Do you think after watching this through modern eyes that maybe a lot of todays audience would have a problem with the... well let's just call it the "no means yes scene"? Or maybe that is one of the things people didn't like about it back then on first release, maybe?

Yeah Moore was very attractive and good as well.

Do you think after watching this through modern eyes that maybe a lot of todays audience would have a problem with the... well let's just call it the "no means yes scene"? Or maybe that is one of the things people didn't like about it back then on first release, maybe?
well it s a film set 25 years ago, so no wonder modern audience would find something different about it

As I was in my teens when it came out, and titilation wasn't on tap, then this film definitely served its purpose from my point of view. So I have total respect for it.

Well, after watching it again, I guess I can see what people are talking about, that in between the sex scenes, I guess the plot is pretty predictable and in fact, boring perhaps, in the court case.

When it comes to the erotic thriller genre, it seems there are two main types. They concentrate mostly on the sex, and the plot suffers as a result, like this movie or Basic Instinct.

Or they have a really good plot, with good twists and turns, but the sex scenes take a back seat as a result, like Body Heat, or Wild Things. Are their any erotic thrillers that have both, and have their cake and eat it too, or not really?

But why did Showgirls ruin it? I mean didn't people want to see more as long as they were good? Since when does a movie ruin a whole genre?

The genre was exhausted by this point, Showgirls was the deathnail but this one was the one that really started to turn the genre
The genre was definitely exhausted, but to me this genre is as intriguing as any other movie genre, the intrigue here comes from human nature s search for voyeurism, and if you look at every film in the genre you will find a scene or two making my point example:
Micheal douglas arriving to sharon stone s beach house in the middle of the night , to find her stripping her clothes off into a full naked body (basic instinct)

Well, after watching it again, I guess I can see what people are talking about, that in between the sex scenes, I guess the plot is pretty predictable and in fact, boring perhaps, in the court case.

When it comes to the erotic thriller genre, it seems there are two main types. They concentrate mostly on the sex, and the plot suffers as a result, like this movie or Basic Instinct.

Or they have a really good plot, with good twists and turns, but the sex scenes take a back seat as a result, like Body Heat, or Wild Things. Are their any erotic thrillers that have both, and have their cake and eat it too, or not really?
I don t agree that basic instinct doesn t have a good plot, this is probably one of the best films in the genre

As I was in my teens when it came out, and titilation wasn't on tap, then this film definitely served its purpose from my point of view. So I have total respect for it.
I ve never seen madonna as hot as in this film, and she behaves like a total slut which is very believable

Oh I guess when it comes to Basic Instinct, I felt that the villains plan was actually quite small in the end, and you could have cut out other parts of the movie and it wouldn't have mattered, so I felt the structure was kind of sluggish.

But when it comes to movies in the genre that are good, plot wise, such as The Last Seduction, or Wild Things, the sex scenes are lackluster in comparison to the more poorly plotted ones in my opinion like Basic Instinct and Body of Evidence, were the sex scenes shine.