Bruce Almighty

→ in
Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I wanted this to be good in the worst way. An apology for having to sit through The Majestic, if you will. And it succeeds for a little while. Jim Carrey is his usual spastic self, and the laughs keep coming until they stop. About 2/3 into this movie, something bad happens. The Jim Carrey who was in The Majestic rears his dewy eyed, "Give Me An Oscar" head, and the film stops being funny. It's trying to be "Spiritual," I suppose, but why can't Hollywood make a religious themed movie where the subject isn't simplified to an third grader's comprehension level? (Dogma, maybe, but that wasn't a hollywood movie..) The film does make it's point, but not even two minutes later, contradicts itself, and goes for the "happy ending" no matter how forced and cliched. Oh, and the "Poignant" music drove me nuts. I should have realized this wasn't going to be good: It was directed by the guy that made Patch Adams, A.K.A. the single worst movie ever made. Skip this, watch Dumb and Dumber or Ace Ventura again....

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I just watched the movie and I loved it.

I think it is definetly worth a watch.

The goal of the movie wan't to be clever and keep you guessing until the end. It was to be funny, and it happen to have added a little enlightning in the end, which I thought was done in a tastefull way.

Why am I here?
Some people just can't handle happy endings.

Sic Networks

Hi
The last half or two thirds bothered me as well. The spiritual parts a bit but also the conversion into a generic romantic comedy about a guy trying to get his girl back. Reminded me of the problem that plagued Mr Deeds. I was hoping for a completely comedic jim carrey movie like Dumb and Dumber because the way it was described made it seem like Jim carrey went back to his old style. I'd give it a B- or C+

It was beauty killed the beast.
The first 2/3 of the film were passably funny, but the last 1/3 was sentimental didactic after-school-specialesque pap.

** of ****

I think capitalism is good. I can appreciate an American who creates a product that other's want to purchase. Jim Carrey's films are just such products.

I doubt this "Bruce Almighty" is worth seeing. How many times am I supposed to be amused by Carrey's facial gestures? He has about drained every last ounce from the character who is out of step with society, something weird happens to him, and he suddenly becomes a regular ole good guy. This plot is so tired, that those seeing it for the first time will wince.

I have a a proposition for Carrey: Make 3 movies every 2 years. In two of those movies, try to act. Try to play a real person, doing realistic things, don't do zany stuff, don't be outrageous.....be someone the audience can identify with. You can play any role you choose, but please play it straight.

In the third movie, act like a jerk. This one will bring home the bacon as the sheeple flock to see just how truly dumb you can get.

Rock & Roll.

Focker.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally posted by Tuna
The last half or two thirds bothered me as well. The spiritual parts a bit but also the conversion into a generic romantic comedy about a guy trying to get his girl back. Reminded me of the problem that plagued Mr Deeds. I was hoping for a completely comedic jim carrey movie like Dumb and Dumber because the way it was described made it seem like Jim carrey went back to his old style. I'd give it a B- or C+
Exactly my point! Nobody I know seems to get that this is why I didn't really like the film.

Just saw this movie and thought it was great. Don't see what the problem was though, I thought the ending was pretty good and it had a realistic feel to it, beyond the whole "god" portrayal. In any case, Carrey is still my favorite comedian. Just needs some different scripts. However, his last real winner, in my opinion, was Me, Myself, and Irene. That movie was hilarious.

Was Kong the only one who didn't like it when God said to Bruce, "What do you really want?" after Bruce prayed for peace, an end to hunger, etc.? Do the writers of this movie really believe that these are not sincere requests?

Originally posted by Kong
Was Kong the only one who didn't like it when God said to Bruce, "What do you really want?" after Bruce prayed for peace, an end to hunger, etc.? Do the writers of this movie really believe that these are not sincere requests?
I'd say yes, if they're realistic.

Obviously the overwhelming majority of people really want those things...but they work harder to bring about things like what Bruce "really" wanted. Their actions, in a way, speak a lot louder than their words. It's easy to DECIDE to value the good of the needs of the human race above your own, but I think it's damn near impossible to want that instinctually when your own desires are staring you in the face. In other words: what do you want that you don't have to somewhat talk yourself into wanting?

I'm relatively sure that that's all that the film was referring to.

Originally posted by Yoda

I'd say yes, if they're realistic.

Obviously the overwhelming majority of people really want those things...but they work harder to bring about things like what Bruce "really" wanted. Their actions, in a way, speak a lot louder than their words. It's easy to DECIDE to value the good of the needs of the human race above your own, but I think it's damn near impossible to want that instinctually when your own desires are staring you in the face. In other words: what do you want that you don't have to somewhat talk yourself into wanting?

I'm relatively sure that that's all that the film was referring to.
Kong understands what you're saying, but it still felt like an unneeded potshot at philanthropy.

The writers seemed to want to make a meaningful story at the end so Kong assumed they were telling the members of the audience that they, the audience members, were deluding themselves about their hopes for a better future for the human race. There was really no reason for God to respond the way He did. He could have simply said that "free will" prevented him from granting such a request, but instead He said that Bruce, the character we are all supposed to identify with, was disingenuous.

Kong understands what you're saying, but it still felt like an unneeded potshot at philanthropy.
Really? I'm surprised. Given the fact that God asks Bruce things like "and how many people did you help?" throughout the flick, and given the film's conclusion and ultimate catchphrase ("be the miracle"), I don't think it was taking a shot at philanthropy at all...to the contrary, I think it was taking a shot at people who hope, but don't act. Frankly, that kinda pissed me off...hope and faith are what lead us to action. You can't reject either. I'm with Augustine on this one:

"Pray as if everything depended on God. Work as if everything depended on you."

The one line that bugged me was: "that's your problem. You're always looking up." In my mind, the moral of the story would've been better served had it gone something like "that's your problem: you're too busy looking up to ever see what's in front of you."

The writers seemed to want to make a meaningful story at the end so Kong assumed they were telling the members of the audience that they, the audience members, were deluding themselves about their hopes for a better future for the human race. There was really no reason for God to respond the way He did. He could have simply said that "free will" prevented him from granting such a request, but instead He said that Bruce, the character we are all supposed to identify with, was disingenuous.
Surely, before God's response, you thought to yourself "yeah, right...like that's what's been on his mind all this time." Sad as it may be, what God said to Bruce rings true. One could also interpret it as God simply rejecting insincere prayers...and, coupled with the examples of encouraged altruism mentioned above, that seems pretty consistent to me.

Plus, ya' know, the insincere prayer freed Freeman up to deliver that killer "if you wanna be Miss America" line.

Originally posted by Yoda

Really? I'm surprised. Given the fact that God asks Bruce things like "and how many people did you help?" throughout the flick, and given the film's conclusion and ultimate catchphrase ("be the miracle"), I don't think it was taking a shot at philanthropy at all...to the contrary, I think it was taking a shot at people who hope, but don't act. Frankly, that kinda pissed me off...hope and faith are what lead us to action. You can't reject either. I'm with Augustine on this one:

"Pray as if everything depended on God. Work as if everything depended on you."

The one line that bugged me was: "that's your problem. You're always looking up." In my mind, the moral of the story would've been better served had it gone something like "that's your problem: you're too busy looking up to ever see what's in front of you."

Surely, before God's response, you thought to yourself "yeah, right...like that's what's been on his mind all this time." Sad as it may be, what God said to Bruce rings true. One could also interpret it as God simply rejecting insincere prayers...and, coupled with the examples of encouraged altruism mentioned above, that seems pretty consistent to me.

Plus, ya' know, the insincere prayer freed Freeman up to deliver that killer "if you wanna be Miss America" line.
After Kong's last post Kong got to thinking about Bruce's use of his new powers, and it is certainly consistent with Bruce not being sincere in his rejected prayer. Which is basically you're premise as well. So, problem solved. Except for a few more problems...

As far as the, ""that's your problem. You're always looking up" line... If you are always looking up then of course you are too busy to see what's in front of you. Both lines mean the same thing to Kong.

The film took a very cynical view of Bruce up until his epiphany. Did this feel forced to you? Kong never liked Bruce very much; he was selfish and whiney throughout the whole film. Kong supposes that the epiphany might feel more genuine if you could relate with Bruce, but Kong found him to be too shallow to really care for.

I like this more than any other Jim Carrey movie I've seen. I hope he plays in more movies like this, I laughed harder than I'd laughed in a theater in years. (i'm not that old, 14 but anyway, you get the point)
And found he was eating his shoe.

oh, for crying out loud!

are you people serious? all you hate mongers... or hate stylists? bruce almighty was fantastic. as well as majestic, the truman show, and liar liar, and whatever movies you morons groan about because jim carrey wants to be a versatile actor. you people get so biased and curse him when he tries to do other things beside beserk comedy... and i LOVE comedies more than any other category. give the guy a break.

you expect him to be one way and only that one way. you critisize the man before you give him a chance. jim carrey does a fantastic job in all his movies, but if isn't blunt comedy, you belittle him. if you really are a jim carrey fan, than be a jim carrey fan. not an ace ventura fan. remember people, ace ventura was a character, not a real person.

jim carrey's job is to act, not to make you laugh and only laugh. it's okay to cry with him as well. it's people like you that well smother an actor and force him to be typecast. then that character you love and expect will destroy the actor to the point where he will shun that character completely. then you know what you have left? a crummy sequel 20 years later of an irritating movie trying to spark his career with an old character. get away from the tunnel vision, people. jim carrey has a lot of talent to share. don't cause him to smother all of it.

Originally Posted by PenclArtst
oh, for crying out loud!

are you people serious? all you hate mongers... or hate stylists? bruce almighty was fantastic. as well as majestic, the truman show, and liar liar, and whatever movies you morons groan about because jim carrey wants to be a versatile actor. you people get so biased and curse him when he tries to do other things beside beserk comedy... and i LOVE comedies more than any other category. give the guy a break.

you expect him to be one way and only that one way. you critisize the man before you give him a chance. jim carrey does a fantastic job in all his movies, but if isn't blunt comedy, you belittle him. if you really are a jim carrey fan, than be a jim carrey fan. not an ace ventura fan. remember people, ace ventura was a character, not a real person.

jim carrey's job is to act, not to make you laugh and only laugh. it's okay to cry with him as well. it's people like you that well smother an actor and force him to be typecast. then that character you love and expect will destroy the actor to the point where he will shun that character completely. then you know what you have left? a crummy sequel 20 years later of an irritating movie trying to spark his career with an old character. get away from the tunnel vision, people. jim carrey has a lot of talent to share. don't cause him to smother all of it.
Please, shut the **** up.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

heh, heh... well, it's still my opinion.

Originally Posted by PenclArtst
heh, heh... well, it's still my opinion.
You're still "talking". Damnit. I bet if someone told you to jump off a bridge, you wouldn't do it. Figures. No one listens to me.