I was thinking about this lately, and I would love other people's opinions.

There are a lot of artists in music who have had long careers, who have changed music permanently, and then as they got older....stopped being so essential. A great example of this is Metallica. The first few of their CD's are the blueprints for the whole thrash metal movement, and then after "The Black Album," you really don't need to hear anything by them ever again. (Sorry, but it's true.) They've had a few good songs after that particular CD, but then again, they're not essential songs.

David Bowie is like this too. After (and maybe including) "Let's Dance," it's all downhill from there and you likely aren't missing too much if the last CD of his you bought was "Scary Monsters."

Does anyone else have any other examples? How about bands that DON'T have that stopping point? The Beatles, for example, all of their albums are great and they left on a high note, leaving their fans wanting more.

And lastly, how about an artist or band that had a creative rebirth after a string of craptacular albums? Personally, i would say Alice Cooper fits that for me. After his fantastic 1970's work, he floundered pretty badly in the 80's and 90's (with one genuinely good CD in "The Last Temptation") only to put out a string of strong to absolutely stellar CD's in the 2000's, and a return to the public eye that seemed pretty unlikely.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/