My top 100

→ in
Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Are you ever going to finish this great list MP? Inquiring minds want to know.
Going to bash away at it probably later on today, I have to dig up my notes and remember what order (if any) I was gonna put things in. and my top ten is probably going to change from whats there, and I think some of the films I've put already i'd rate higher now that i think of it...Ummm, can I get a do-over?

Well that's the beauty of this thing innit? Its your list so I expect you can do whatever your heart desires. You may however want to try and edit it inside this thread though. If you start up another thread I imagine you may be subjected to finger pointing and ridicule.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Ah, soddit, I am not gonna go back and edit, I'm too lazy. (though imagine that I put RENT and Blazing saddles higher up. LOL)

Anyways...

75. Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)

I said I liked musicals, and this is another favourite. It's funny, I'm not very religious, I mean my mum was and my older sister is and my younger sister did Religious Studies in school, but it never stuck with me. This movie, for whatever the reason, stuck with me. Maybe it's the 1970's hair metal Jesus. In any case, this film rocks, I love the minimalist style it's done in, and Carl Anderson owns the entire film as an oddly sympathetic Judas.

74. Batman and Robin (1997)

Yeaaah, I HAVE to put this on my list. I just have to. I just laugh hysterically every time I watch it, it has the power to pull me out of my periodic fits of depression. They say laughter is the best medicine, I say that Arnold Schwarzenegger in glitter paint spouting retarded catchphrases is the best medicine.

73. The Goonies (1985)

This is just awesome. If you've never seen The Goonies, you've lived a deprived life. Loved this as a kid, still love it as an adult. I will, one day, pass it down to my kids (should I have them) in whatever format is available by then. Possibly downloading it directly to your brain.

72. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

I grew up on old comedies thanks to my dad, he turned me onto Charlie Chaplin, WC Fields (his personal favourite), the Marx Brothers, Jackie Gleason, and Abbot And Costello. This is by far my favourite Abbot and Costello film. It's pure grade-A silliness as our hapless heroes run into (and away from) the famous Universal Monsters. (I was also a big fan of the Universal Monsters. Still am.)

71. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)

Ok, this is seriously turning into the guilty pleasure part of my thread. But I've always been a big comedy fan, like 90% of the films I watch over and over are ones that can make me laugh. And this one, while as dumb as a box of rocks, made me laugh till tears poured down my face. This is why I loved Jim Carrey back in the day. Anything for a laugh, absolutely anything. I still catch myself saying lines from this one all the time.
"Yes. Yes. Oh, yeah. Can ya feel that, buddy? Huh? Huh? Huh?"

More to come sooner than last time.

It's a very nice list so far, Monkey!

Are you ever going to finish this great list MP? Inquiring minds want to know.
Yeah, some people. They do a couple of posts, and never show back up.

This list took a while to come up with, I like so many movies, but how does one choose a top 100?

Except for the top ten, this list, while numbered is sort of in a random order. I'm going to do five at a time in posts, so that i can write a little blurb about why the film is on the list...

Enough chit chat, lets do this thang!

100. Dracula (1931)

There's been countless versions of Dracula, but I'll always have a soft spot for the Bela Lugosi/Tod Browning classic. Atmospheric sets, iconic imagery, and the haunting music all make this a good candidate to kick off my list.

99. The Commitments (1991)

Hilarious, raw, and full of great music, Alan Parker's film about a working class Irish soul band (based on the novel by Roddy Doyle) finds joy in even the most squalid bits of Dublin, and has good performances by a cast of non-actors.

98. The Evil Dead (1981)

I prefer this original to it's more famous sequels (which aren,t on this list). Sam Raimi did a lot of innovative things with his miniscule budget, already had his now famous hyper-kinetic directorial style well in place, and it's also a very scary (and funny) film.

97. Meet John Doe (1941)

My favourite Frank Capra film. Politics, satire, and populism, with a great cast (Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck). I saw this on TV late one night on Christmas eve, and it's stayed with me ever since.

96. Dances With Wolves (1990)

Kevin Costner takes a lot of crap, and a lot of it he does deserve, admittedly. This one, however, is a great movie. A quiet, almost poetic movie about a war veteran who finds peace within himself living among the indians, only to have it ripped away by western expansion. Costner's mellow acting style was perfect for this, and it's an unfairly maligned film.

Ok, more to come later when I have more time to spend...
Plus rep for the evil dead and Dracula.

Continuing:

90. Léon (1994)

...or The Professional, as it was called here in the states, but I much prefer the original cut of the film. It's deeper, with more character development, and it's just better all around. A rare action film that will break your heart.

89. Princess Mononoke (1997)

One of my favourite animated films, it's visually stunning, well written, and tosses away the usual black and white, good versus evil world view of most animated features for a complex view of the modern world intruding upon (and destroying) what came before.

88. Modern Times (1936)

When I was a kid, I got sick an awful lot, and I missed out on a lot of things. Whenever I was laid up in bed, my father would bring home videos for me to watch from the library. This was one of them, and it started me on a lifelong love of the films of Charlie Chaplin. I think this is his best, a hilarious and touching comedy/drama about a man (quite literally in one scene) ground up by the gears of big business and industry. Chaplin was adept at mixing politics and slapstick comedy in a way that few, if any, could.

87. Romeo + Juliet (1996)

This movie shouldn't work...but it does, and spectacularly. I haven't liked any of the director's other films, but this one is brilliant. A great way to get this story to those who'd appreciate it most but who wouldn't willingly read the play itself. Plus, I had a serious thing for Claire Danes when this came out, so her being in it didn't hurt the film at all.

86. The Fisher King (1991)

I would have to pinpoint 1991 as the year I started taking films very seriously, and this one from Terry Gilliam is one of the first movies I truly took to heart. Robin Williams takes a lot of crap (probably even more than Kevin Costner, if I think about it), but he's absolutely perfect here as a homeless man who's lost his mind and thinks he's on a quest for the Holy Grail. Jeff Bridges is also good as a radio DJ (patterned after Howard Stern) who feels responsible for the man's plight and tries to help him (and assuage his own guilty conscience).
Plus rep for princess monoke and romeo and Julie. 2 great films.